Widen Your Tlt? Options *pics Show Options

W

williamg

there are a few ways to widen your tlt axles

Jason sells tobee craft and they make 8mm all the way to 64mm kits and in between.

note: pede wheels are thick in the boss area and would need countersinking or rework to use these axles, or the blackfoot ones
of course there is the blackfoot axle trick, super or king rear axles

then there is inet (soon to close the r/c side)
g-made

others?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TWINSET

The Tobee craft ones are definitely the least maintenance - they're basically a direct (longer) replacement for the stock drive cups - Nothing to work loose except the original wheelnut.

I've also tried the Inet ones, and whilst very nicely made, they do need a bit of tinkerage to fit have enough thread poking out for a nyloc wheelnut.
In the end I used a 4mm nut with the hex filed/turned off as a spacer for the extension tube, so that the wheelnut would engage properly.

The Tobee ones in Jasons shop are 'total width' so a 24mm set will add 12mm per side (about 1/2 an inch)

W

williamg

Great, thanks for the added info.
On my inet I used red thread lock on the extension after threading the locknut till it just caught the nyloc part. So far it has been fine.
G-made don't always run true.
Fine on a crawler but at speed....
Blackfoot are similar to the tobee and cheaper, just the 1 size though.
I personally have some 32mm tobee on the way.

Jim511

Let us know how things turn out with the tobee craft kit Will, and if you could, could you possibly get before and after or comparison pics of how much it adds? Unfortunately I have to add some width to my truck (I really dont want to but want it to perform well) and wasnt sure what to look into

W

williamg

I plan on taking a pic of the 3 axles all side by side
stock, blackfoot, and the 32mm tobee craft

That way it's blatently obvious what they'll do and by how much. ;)

W

williamg

pics up
Tobee ones came with spacers, and "O" rings to secure pins in the included hex parts

Spoon37

dont TTR make a TLT widener in the same style as their clod wideners and maxx wheel adapters? I saw it on RC4wd - but as TTR have their own forum/reps here it may be better straight from the horses mouth?

:truck

Spoon37

Also Tamiya makes some parts that work - as the TLT-1 uses the TG10 wheel axles, you can use Tg10 long wheel axles and the 12mm thick wheel hexes that come with the M03/TL01 toe-in rear uprights

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGM26&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGF21&P=7

the difference between these is only about 6mm(~1/4") per side but its not bad:

comparison between stock and long versions:

and on a vehicle(in this case a TL01):

regular

wide hex and long axle:

:truck

Last edited by a moderator:

BaddClod

will-where can I buy the tobee craft tlt wideners?Those look like they would solve my dilemma with the rc4wd 2.2 narrow aluminum beadlock wheels. :banghead LMK.Thanks. :)

ALTERED IMAGE

Will how much more width does the blackfoot stub axles add to the tlt's axles? I have a set of wheels but they are a little too wide for the stock tlt's stub axles, so I just wanted to know if these would add a little more length to the threaded area of the stub axle.

william g

Retired
No, they have the same distance from drive pin to thread end
the bearing area is where they are longer, by about 7mm?

thick wheels (like pede wheels) need to be countersunk on the nut side of the wheel, and or find thinner hex drive nuts

or, use TG10 wheel axles they work with thick wheels and standard hex drive nuts

william g

Retired
The tg10 won't wide you much if any using thick pede like wheels because you cannot use the extra thick hex hub

but at least you can easily use the wheels

cpe mt

RCMT Sponsor
We've just introduced our new aluminum 3/4" offset 12-12mm wheel spacers for the TLT. These are designed to fit right over the stock drive hex, and provide 3/4" offset per side. Due to different offsets on the numerous 2.2 sized wheels available, your overall vehicle width may differ. Expect to see an overall width between 11-12", well under the legal limit for the 2.2 crawler class.

The kit will include 4 CNC'd wheel spacers and 4 axle extensions with mounting hardware, enough for a complete truck. Check out our website or look in our Manufacturer Forum for more details.