USA-1 Nitro counter gear and shaft, dimensions

Discussion in 'Nitro General Discussion' started by Dangerous Dav, Aug 29, 2012.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

Tags:
  1. Oct 1, 2012 #21

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

2. Oct 12, 2012 #22

atrc

atrc

atrc

You must have not mixed equal parts. I have used JB weld on nitro engines. To fix loose pressure fittings and holes in the crankcase. The surface has to be real clean for it to stick. Ruff the surface then clean it good.

3. Oct 25, 2012 #23

Dangerous Dav

Dangerous Dav

Dangerous Dav

ended up making a new carby needle mounting block from some scrap polyethelene, more reliable :)

As for the counter gear setup - it blew apart.
    Wasn't that surprised though, as I had to fit a 10mm bearing into an 11mm gear boss - not much meat left around it, that's where it busted.

Seeing as I just completed my last exam this morning, and my new Traxxas gear parts arrived yesterday, I set to work..

Ground boss of large gear
    [​IMG]
    bored bearing recess for 5x8x2.5mm bearing
    [​IMG]
    bored same bearing recess on other end, bearing fitted
    [​IMG]

didn't stop to take any more pics, but the rest of the process is boring out the large gear to fit the smaller gear's boss (about 11mm), then pressing it in (must be a tight fit!).

I'll have to turn down the large gear width a bit, as it interferes with the clutch bell atm.. here's a pic of what happened to the previous clutch gear, btw..

[​IMG]

4. Oct 27, 2012 #24

atrc

atrc

atrc

There shouldn't have been a issue if you bored the hole just enough for the bearing only. If you bored the hole all the way threw then there won't be enough material for a good tight press fit. The smaller gear hub should be press fit to the big gear and you machine off the the hub side with the mounting screw. I have done this before and it works fine. The big problem here is that the larger origional gear is molded to the smaller metal gear. I suggest trying a smaller shaft size and trying again or you can also try borring a .005 smaller hole and heating the big gear untill it turns bright orange with a torch expanding it and then press fit the gear in.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #25

Dangerous Dav

Dangerous Dav

Dangerous Dav

Nah it all works well now with the smaller 5x8 bearings.
    Wouldn't want to go with a smaller shaft ... as it'd be prone to more flex = gear failure.

In other news - oh dear, seems I've acquired another nitro USA-1 .......

6. Dec 22, 2012 #26

atrc

atrc

atrc

The 5x8 bearings won't hold up long.I would suggest you not use anything larger than a 13 tooth clutch. I use 12 tooth and for power a 11 tooth with a 1.5 hp motor. Im useing a 1.7 hp motor and I am useing a 13 tooth clutch. That why your clutch drum went bad. Too much load.

7. Dec 28, 2012 #27

Dangerous Dav

Dangerous Dav

Dangerous Dav

Wrong.

Clutch gear failed because the counter gear failed (because of not enough wall thickness around the 10mm bearing).

Clutch gear is also under less load than a typical 1/8th scale vehicle due to the gear reductions (more than compensates for the large wheels).

8. Jan 12, 2013 #28

atrc

atrc

atrc

I personly would have used a needle bearing more support with a 10MM bearing There just isn't enough to support a smaller size bearing like that.

9. Feb 18, 2013 #29

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

just eliminate the counter gear all together.and get a motor with 2 to 3 hp. i did on all but 1 truck that has 3 bs-84 nip for the remaining life as a shelf queen cuz they will even break there.lol

mp6 international / usa 1 is getting close now..... i F king love the builds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the steering plates jim made the bottom left one

[​IMG]

10. Feb 20, 2013 #30

atrc

atrc

atrc

All you got is 3 Bs84 sets:p I have 8 NIP and 4 used sets.:D tons of spare parts. I haven't stripped a gear now that I switched the bearing for the counter gear to a needle bearing. I run a 2 hp motor now. I don't want speed.

11. Feb 22, 2013 #31

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

this truck is running 13 toothbells with a 48 tooth main gear.the other twin is running 18 toothbells and a 52 tooth main gear. for speed

12. Feb 24, 2013 #32

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

Bryonfunderburg

i dont need them because i dont run the one truck i have that has a CG because it is new!

13. Aug 11, 2019 #33