TXT-1 Clone Review

Discussion in 'Tamiya RC Monster Truck Forum' started by HawnMT, Sep 6, 2012.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2012 #61

th67ss

th67ss

th67ss

This has my interest in a big way. If you remember could snap a few extra photos of this servo mount when you have the front axle buttoned up/installed?
    [​IMG]

Great review btw!!

2. Sep 15, 2012 #62

HawnMT

HawnMT

HawnMT

I haven't updated this for a couple of days because I ran into a couple of problems and was falling way behind so I figured it was better to concentrate on finishing the truck and worry about posting up later. I had a few problems with the parts I fabbed up. Because I had been rushing it I made a few mistakes like measuring the servo plate incorrectly which meant I had to make a whole new one. I also had fitment problems with the dropped cradle so I had to keep grinding away at it to get it to work. In the end it's all together.

The idea of the dropped cradle came from the ThunderTech Emaxx mount for the TXT. It basically was the samething with two side plates with brackets that bolted it to the chassis and also served as the trans mount. While it is not the ideal race configuration it isn't that bad of one because there's only one brushless motor up top and the battery sits very low. It's biggest plus for this project is that it's the least invasive way of turning a stock TXT into a racer. I had run a very similar configuration in a brushed TXT race truck, with some success, but I always wanted to try it with a brushless setup.

Here it is all mounted up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The battery slot is cut for what is currently the "standard" size high output 2s lipo hard case battery.

[​IMG]

Got the front axle all together with it's BTA steering setup:

[​IMG]

Mounted the axles, loctited the links, Shoe Gooed the tires, mounted up the shocks(still haven't filled them with oil), fit the body, and installed the rear revo drveshaft:

[​IMG]

You can see the dropped cradle straightens up the link geometry. Top pic is the stock setup, next pic you can see the top and bottom links are parallel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have to setup the shocks, install the front driveshaft, esc, and receiver then take it for a test run.....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #63

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper

wow awesome mod Kent !!! i bet its a different animal with just the drop cradle

4. Sep 15, 2012 #64

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

Should be VERY different with that drop cradle.
    Link geometry alone would make a difference, now battery weight too it should be much better than stock.

5. Sep 15, 2012 #65

northerngames

northerngames

northerngames

wow look's excellent man nice work.

6. Sep 15, 2012 #66

nosyajg

nosyajg

nosyajg

cant wait to see it race tomorrow!

7. Sep 15, 2012 #67

KingClod27

KingClod27

KingClod27

That sevo mount and cradle look great Kent, Ive actually never seen it before. I cant wait to watch the vids of the race..... I look foward to those uploads lol

8. Sep 15, 2012 #68

rocpede4x4

rocpede4x4

rocpede4x4

It came out awsome and the person who wins this truck after the raffle. Is going to be one lucky person.

9. Sep 16, 2012 #69

HawnMT

HawnMT

HawnMT

All ready to go for tomorrow's race! I wish I had a little more time to get things dialed in but time's up. I switched the pinion over from the 15t to a 18t because with the 15t it was like the drag brake was on. I'm just hoping the 18t isn't too high. I've never run a brushless system with a TXT trans so I'm not sure where the gearing should be. I just hope the Turnigy 60a esc(same as EZ Run) holds up. Other than that I'll work with the steering some more tonight to get it working better, turns more one way than the other. Kinda excited and kinda relieved it's almost over now. Doing this review and build was almost like having a second job! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sep 16, 2012 #70

rocpede4x4

rocpede4x4

rocpede4x4

Please post pics of the truck racing if you, this review is the best I have ever read. Great job HawnMT

11. Sep 17, 2012 #71

HawnMT

HawnMT

HawnMT

Got Jayson(nosyajg) to take some videos of it at today's races and he should be posting it shortly. It's also on some of Blake's (teambgracing) video that will probably be out later this week.

Truck drives pretty good but it could use some adjustments to the shocks and definitely needed a larger pinion. I thought the 18t pinion was going to be a little too high but after running it today it definitely needed bigger. Steering was kinda sloppy but I think that was more about the Hitec645 and old servo saver I had on it. There was a was some torque twist at launch but part of that was due to the low gearing. I was expecting some because the motor is mounted so high but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But the biggest problem was me, I was driving it like a pansy. You'll see it the video I was really babying it at the start and didn't really get on the throttle till the end of the course. Jay raced it once and Blake drove it around a little so they can share their thoughts if they want. I didn't give it's turning ability enough respect because I thought it was still a bit top heavy but it could take high speed and snap turns pretty well. Definitely not as good as my dedicated race trucks but not that far off. Nothing broke on the truck, although the course wasn't particularly harsh. If I win the truck I'll keep racing it to dial it in just to see how far I can push it.

Thanks everybody for the honor/opportunity of doing this, it was fun, but I'm glad it's over. So let's end this review/build thread by picking a winner!

p.s to the winner: Give me a day to strip the electronics and pack it and also another day to take it to the post office to get the shipping quotes. Once the shipping is paid I'll take it to the post office the next day. Good luck everybody!

12. Sep 17, 2012 #72

JKRacing37

JKRacing37

JKRacing37

Kent - the amount of work you have put in and the quality of the review is amazing, and I for one really appreciate the level you took this to.

I think looking at everything I'm not sure this truck is as good of a deal as I initially thought it might be. The tire issue is a huge one, lack of bearings when the ad says it was/is equipped, short screws on stressed items, lack of oil and bladders in the shocks, quality control issues...the list is significant and I think someone without intimate knowledge of the TXT and a stocked spares bin on hand would not get full enjoyment out of this truck nor would the longevity be up to snuff, IMO. The gears also give me pause...they look like cast pot metal but I could be wrong. I'm glad they held up today for you.

Hopefully in the end Rocky uses this review to better the product and make it an affordable TXT replacement like we all hoped it would be.

13. Sep 17, 2012 #73

nosyajg

nosyajg

nosyajg

i raced it for one round today...drives MUCH better than a stock txt...

kents mods does make it race worthy...a few more tweaks, and it can be a pretty good race truck...

it might even be good enough already for some of you...our race environment here is different, since we run outdoors on grass/dirt fields, and the terrain is always unpredictable (long grass, short grass, lumpy areas, smooth areas, dirt patches then grassy patches in the liddle of a slalom, etc.)...instead of being indoors on carpet...and we use the big skate ramps, so the potential for more air time is there...

anyway, i find it more difficult to get cantilevered trucks set up just right, and this one was no exception...torque twist was there, and i think the swaybars need to be stiffer...bigger pinion would be nicer, as it topped out pretty quick for the long course we had today...it jumped fairly well, and nothing broke...looks like it can handle normal racing just fine...steering was definitely slow and mushy, but then again, i'm used to running quicker, torquier servos without servo savers...i think kents servo/servosaver combo was the factor in that, not the truck itself...

i wish the vids woulda came out nicer, but due to a soccer game/practice, we were forced to move further down from where we initially setup, and this made for half the track in the shade, and half in the sun...so sorry if the vids get the lighting messed up a bit...there is a 1080p version for you to view if you so wish...anyway- here's the vids (sorry kent- my phone was having difficulty uploading the vids, so i had to wait till i got home to upload them)...

[video=youtube;bleFYOwPUy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bleFYOwPUy0&list=UUOcVvkzqxacWoAKu1PaWcNg&index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;wcXIpOxppXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXIpOxppXk&list=UUOcVvkzqxacWoAKu1PaWcNg&index=2&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;MzN1K4a9ZY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzN1K4a9ZY0&list=UUOcVvkzqxacWoAKu1PaWcNg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

14. Sep 17, 2012 #74

nosyajg

nosyajg

nosyajg

[video=youtube;XAuD6HUkhUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAuD6HUkhUk&feature=plcp[/video]

15. Sep 17, 2012 #75

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper

you know wow it handles very good imo ! like you said Jay stiffer sway bars and you have a winner :D

Kent above an beyond on this review and thank you is not enough! well done and yet again you made something sub par into a performer :emot112:

16. Sep 17, 2012 #76

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Moderator Moderator

Great review and a lot of work! Thank you for your time and experience you put into this build!

17. Sep 17, 2012 #77

HawnMT

HawnMT

HawnMT

I agree, right now the truck has too much problems from the factory to be worth it. If they can address the problems during assembly and the tire mold issue I think it'll be more worth it but still not $340 worth. I was expecting material quality to be a little less but it's only by a very little, hardly any issue, except for the bevel gears in the top section of the axles and maybe the gears in the trans(although they don't look to far off the Tamiya ones). It's really the manufacturing quality of the parts, they just don't have that "finished" feel to them. The edges on metal parts are sharp, the frame is raw aluminum, things like that. It's for those reasons alone I think this truck can't be priced near the TXT or even a used TXT.

If anyone is wondering what I'm doing to the back of the truck, the back end of the body kept folding down so I kept clicking it back into place to keep the tires from rubbing it. Also on that note, the body still has the overspray layer on it so whoever gets it can peel it off and have a relative new looking body.

When I watch the race it's looks even slower!!! WTH!!! lol But really the truck isn't that fast the way it is now but it accelerates like gang busters which is why I have to take it easy at the start because it'll wheelie out. Also makes it hard to save the truck when it gets out of hand because a little blip of the throttle and the truck would over compensate. A larger pinion or less torquey motor would've helped. Also in the little bash session after the race the truck is twisting much more because the one of the swaybar straps came loose. I thought jay got vids when I was doing fast turns but it's not on there, I was surprised how fast she could take a turn. If it was me I wouldn't go to a stiffer swaybar, at least not at first. Because of the terrains we run on you need a little bit of articulation or the truck will "bounce" when going fast because the whole axle will have to move every time the truck hits a bump. First thing I'd do is make adjustments to the shocks, it needs stiffer front springs. btw whoever wins it, the shocks use a small diameter spring, smaller than regular shocks and much smaller than Big bores. Had a lot of big bore springs so I tried to make them work but they were too loose.

18. Sep 17, 2012 #78

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

I think it did very well.
    If it were me I'd go to a standard shock setup and ditch the cantilevers. That would fix a lot of the twist and issues that a tamiya version exhibits as well.

Once again, great job and thank you for doing it.:emot112:

19. Sep 17, 2012 #79

JKRacing37

JKRacing37

JKRacing37

"...actually he builds great trucks but he can't drive them for crap...oh hi Kent."

LOL!!!!! :D

20. Sep 17, 2012 #80

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper

^^ :emot15: