Txt-1 and Juggernaut Faq _ plus _ steering setups

Discussion in 'Tamiya RC Monster Truck Forum' started by Supreme Reign, May 18, 2006.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. May 18, 2006 #1

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

Guys please add items here that are FAQ's, (frequently asked questions) and they'll stay at the top for reference. Then all the info can be added up into a single post like in the stampede-blackfoot-and pumpkin areas.

What Bearings do I need for my stock TXT?
    16 - 6x12 for the hubs and outer diff cases
    11 - 5x8 for upper diffs(2),tranny(1) and cants NOTE: some don't like bearings in the cantilevers because of slop, they prefere bushings.

8[/dohtml] - 5x11 For Upper diff and Tranny

A couple Building Tips

On step 24 (Building the shocks) The instructions say to install the o-rings into the cap (Part # u3) then screw the cap to the body and then install the shock shaft.
    Instead of screwing the Seal cap on and then installing the shaft, install the shaft into the shock body, then slide on the o-rings, then screw on the Seal cap. You will increase the life of those o-rings greatly.

Step 1 BTW, make sure that you don't accidently grab the wrong gear set. There are two different gear sets!

What about using the E-maxx tranny?
    Pros:
    Slipper Clutch
    More options on gearing (can gear down to 50:1)
    Two speeds
    Easier pinion changes (Have to remove tranny from truck to change pinions with TXT tranny, can simply stick a allen in from the side of the frame and change pinions with E tranny)
    more parts availability (internal gears, tranny cases, spur gears)

Cons:
    Slipper (for crawling nuts who HAVE to have every bit of power sent to the tires)

As far as speed...Yes, if you install the E tranny with the 540's you'll see a noticable speed increase. It's hard for me to say how much...I'm a terrible judge of speed, but first gear with the E tranny is faster than the stock TXT. (with 540's) With the EVX and Titans, you should be approaching E-maxx speeds.

NOTE: be sure you mount the E tranny with the pinions facing the front. TXT and E tranny output shafts rotate in the opposite direction!
    (thanks for the Tranny info Jason)

My steering is weak, can I do anything? What steering servo should I buy?

metal gear 140oz/in or above to start and if you want there are now high voltage units over 400oz/in

What is this "Swaybar fix" I've heard about?

www.rccaraction.com/info/quicktip.asp

Here is a hub company's website: http://www.sdp-si.com/ The phone number is: 516-328-3300 The part numbers to order are: S3501Y-J064 - stainless steel version S3501Y-J067 - aluminum version Both part numbers are $4.13 each (you need 4, but you should order some extra.) Here are some pics of the hub units.
    http://www.sdp-si.com/ss/gif/SSGCAG.JPG

To get them on your links drill out a bit of the material so it does not need to be filed as much. The drill bit to use is the same diameter (roughly) as the sway bar, 7/64 bit. Then file the slot a bit wider and removed the roundness towards the inside

After test fitting in the slot, place the hubs on the links. This is a bit tricky. An easy way is to put the sway bar wire on first and then slide the hub over the wire. This required prying the hub clamp open more than it is supposed to. Since the hub clamp is aluminum this can be risky. It's recommended you order extra, just in case of disaster.

Is it TRUE the bodies between a TXT and a E-MAXX are interchangeable?

Yes. The TXT-1 lid is a 100% direct fit to the E-Maxx. All 4 body post holes line up perfectly. What's even better is the cut-outs for the TXT bumpers even line up to the Maxx bumper supports!!!!!!

The body holes also line up on the Monster Blazer..

What are you guys doing about broken U-joints?

Replacing the stock Tamiya parts with Traxxas E-maxx parts. [dohtml]<FONT COLOR="orange">Traxxas part #4951 sliders, and Traxxas part #4928 Yokes.</font>[/dohtml]
    or try RC Alloys drive shafts. Last contact with them they said they'd have them avalible soon for $80.

Will the Traxxas slider mod work with the Juggernaut 2 using the same parts as you listed? (4951 sliders 4928 Yokes)
    No, you need the 4927 yokes from T-maxx, they're for 5mm shaft. The E-maxx 4928 is for 6mm shafts and works on the TXT.
    The 4951 sliders are the same for all. You will have to drill the Jugg shaft for the Traxxas long grub-pin screw. After seeing how well they do work, I wish I would have done it sooner.

How can I convert jugg tranny output shafts to txt ones???

After taking both trucks apart as far as I can tell, the cases seem identical, although the TXT tranny case has "2001" molded on it instead of 2000. But I can't find any significant differences.

For the tranny you will need:
    2 6X11mm bearings
    1 shaft (Screw Bag G, 9465589)
    2 5mm e-clips (Screw bag B, 9465584, also listed separately as Tamiya 50589)
    1 gear hub (Screw bag G, 9465589)

For the axles:
    4 6X11mm bearings (two for each axle- the TXT has 2 6X11 and one 5X11 on the input shaft)
    2 bevel gear shaft (one for each axle, Screw bag G, 9465589)

All the gears between the Jugg 2 and TXT are the same. Even the e-clips on the axle bevel gear shafts are the same (4mm). So all you need to buy to convert a stock Jugg 2 are:

Screw bag G (9465589)
    Screw bag B (9465584)
    6 6X11 bearings

You could buy Tamiya's 50589 5mm e-clip bag instead of screw bag B (if you didn't want all the other stuff), but I don't know how many e-clips you get.
    I'm not sure about the larger shafts- they're stronger, but the 6X11 bearings have a lot smaller races and balls than the Jugg's 5X11's. I think Tamiya went to 6mm just to make it easier to put Traxxas shafts on.
    Hope this helps,

WHAT IS A JUGGERNAUT?

The Dictionary Definition of Juggernaut is

jug?ger?naut Pronunciation Key (jgr-n?t) n.
    1.Something, such as a belief or institution, that elicits blind and destructive devotion
    or to which people are ruthlessly sacrificed.
    2.An overwhelming, advancing force that crushes or seems to crush everything in its path
    3.Juggernaut Used as a title for the Hindu deity Krishna.

The Juggernaut Forum definition of Juggernaut is

Probably one of the best scale monster trucks ever created. Now sadly discontinued. :(

The Tamiya Juggernaut and Juggernaut2 are 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer 1/10 scale Monster Trucks.
    Stock from the box it features an aluminium chassis, realistic leaf spring suspension damped by
    coil over shocks, Twin motors, a central transmission and realistic prop shafts. The body is a
    superbly details F350 pickup.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE JUGGERNAUT1 AND JUGGERNAUT2?
    The Juggernaut1 suffered from a weak transmission and gear boxes on the axles. Even after numerous
    care kits from tamiya the problem was never completely solved and so the Juggernaut1 was pulled from
    production. The Juggernaut2 was produced to correct all the issues of the Juggernaut1.
    The Juggernaut2 features larger bevel gears in the axles, a stronger center transmission and larger
    shafts thru-out the drive train, heat sinks on the center transmission and rebuildable universal joints
    on the prop shafts

[​IMG]
    ===================================

WHAT UPGRADES SHOULD I CONSIDER FIRST?

The most important upgrade for any RC car is a full set of bearings. This will reduce the friction
    found in the drive train and alow the vehicle to move more easily. The upshot of this is higher speeds
    and longer run times.

After the bearings and ESC (Electronic Speed Control) should be concidered. These are far more efficient than
    the MSC (Mechanical Speed Control) which comes in the kit. With an EXC installed you will gain the
    advantage of brakes (Most ESC have this as standard) as well as improving the efficiency with which the
    battery power is used. Again, improved run times are the outcome.

WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE A JUGGERNAUT RUN?

Besides the kit itself you will need a 2 channel radio set and 2 servos, 7.2V battery(s) and a battery charger.

Drive shafts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q: Is there any way to upgrade the drive shafts for better movement and strength?

A: Yes, some people install Traxxas "slider" driveshafts on their Juggs. These allow for plenty of movement (for articulation), they are strong and fairly cheap. This modification is almost a "must" if you install an E-Maxx transmission in your Juggy, but will also work great with the stock transmission.

Q: How do you install Traxxas slider driveshafts on a Juggy?

A: If you want to use them with the stock Juggy transmission you will need to install Juggy universals (5mm) on both ends of the shaft. For use with a E-Maxx tranny you will only have to install Juggy universals on on end, since the "tranny end" is a direct fit for the stock (6mm) Traxxas yoke.

Installing the Juggy universal on the Traxxas shaft is done like this:

In order to build the shafts, you need the E-Maxx "Half shafts, long" part no 4951 and the Juggernaut "universal joint" part no 9415646.

[​IMG]

"Split" the Jugg universal by removing e-clip and pulling pin.

[​IMG]

On the Maxx half shaft, you take the metal u-joint, and gently tap out one of the metal pins with a hammer. This will allow you to fit the joint to the universal. Note: ONE of the pins can be tapped out. If gentle tapping will not budge the pin, try the other pin. The resulting hole should be the big enough to accept the Juggy universal pin. In order to fit the u-joint inside the universal you will have to file down a flat spot in the area of the hole where the hole was on each side of the u-joint.

[​IMG]

File both sides of the u-joint until it fits snugly inside the universal.

[​IMG]

Fit the universal pin and install e-clip.

[​IMG]

Repeat all of these steps for the other end of the driveshaft, and you will end up with a complete Maxx slider shaft w/Juggy universals on both ends.

[​IMG]

Thor
    ThorBob
    Mod & Ultimate Scratch builderOPC2500
    (10/18/02 8:17 am)

2. Nov 20, 2006 #2

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

Alright, I played with my drill press some tonight and came up with this method for mounting up traxxas 2.5 maxx shafts to my jugg. There were no clearance issues at the axle end of the drive shafts, so I went ahead and used the TXT-1 input shaft mod to use the traxxas 2.5 "X" yokes at the axles.

But because I didn't want to have to dremel the yoke or the tranny case, and clearance was too small to allow the use of the 2.5 yokes, I decided to find a way to mount the traxxas 2.5 universal to the stock tamiya metal yoke with the e-clip pin. If you do the regular old method of doing this, the e-clip pin is too small for the hole left by driving out the traxxas pin. This creates a lot of play and wears really fast due to the play. Here's how I fixed this:

I first took a block of scrap 2x4 wood. I drilled a 3/8" hole just deep enough to create a "bowl" shape. Then I took a drill bit the size of the 2.5 universal's pins and drilled a hole in the very bottom of the "bowl" all the way through the block. Then I looked closely at the 2.5 universal and determined which pin was removeable and inserted this pin into the hole in my block of wood so that the universal's ball sat perfectly in the "bowl". This made it easy to drive out the pin with a ball peen hammer.

Once I had the pin out, I chucked the remaining fixed pin into my drill press and using a file, turned down the diameter of the universal to fit into the Tamiya stock Jugg metal yoke. Once I had that done, I clamped the piece into my vise and drilled a new hole 90 degrees from the traxxas hole that was just the right size for the Tamiya e-clip pin to slip through without any slop or play. Then I just assembled the pieces like usual. Check out the pic to see how I did it:

[​IMG]

On the left is a stock Traxxas 2.5 universal ball. In the center is after I turned it down and drilled the new hole and on the right is the finished assembled driveshaft.

RCMTDigger
    Mobile Mod
    (6/3/03 4:15 pm)

3. Jun 15, 2010 #3

Mattallica

Mattallica

Mattallica

4. Jun 15, 2010 #4

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. Jun 15, 2010 #5

OSRC

OSRC

OSRC

Not the best pics, but you get the idea

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jun 18, 2010 #6

truckus

truckus

truckus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its tight but works fine, nothing rubs against stuff:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  7. Oct 25, 2010 #7

BladeBrown

BladeBrown

BladeBrown

I used the Xtreme servo mount and it was tricky but worked really well in the end.

[​IMG]

8. May 6, 2012 #8

FlashGordon1

FlashGordon1

FlashGordon1

9. Jul 4, 2012 #9

USA-1

USA-1

USA-1

I've made a master out of plastic sheet to make new servo mounts in order to replace the extremely horrible original system and i've dropped it to a machining shop to see if they can make me 2 copies in alluminum. I REALLY hope they'll make 'em!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naturally, A LOT of finishing work has been done to this master to give the machining guys the best reference i could! Even the boss up there was impressed to see that I made it myself by hand, while he was thinking that it was an original injection-molded part of the kit!!! LOL!!! That's pretty flattering! LOL!!

10. Jan 24, 2013 #10

bretkissick

bretkissick

bretkissick

Work in progress :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, I can't take all the credit. I had this universal mount already, I just made it fit ;)

They came in a package like this. The one I used was wider than the one pictured. I searched the net a little trying to find them again but I can't remember where I found them. I've had them for several years. I will keep looking for them and post a link when/if I find them.

[​IMG]

Swapped out my homemade mount and went with this mount from Thunder Tech Racing! Really Nice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Jun 16, 2013 #11

HawnMT

HawnMT

HawnMT

DON'T go by the Tamiya part numbers, some of them are ball bearings and most are bushings. Just go by the size of the bearings. If you're just talking about the axles (not the trans or cantilevers) then you need:

16 - 6x12x4mm
    6 - 5X11X4mm
    2 - 5x8x2.5mm
    there are also 4 - 6x11x4mm bearings that come with the TXT kits and are NOT included with aftermarket bearing kits.

12. Jun 16, 2013 #12

HawnMT

HawnMT

HawnMT

Yes, you need them. They go on the input shafts of the axles. If you have TXT axles that are already built then you have them already.

13. Jun 17, 2013 #13

Arcocustom

Arcocustom

Arcocustom

TXT-1 & TXT-2 quantity and bearing size list.

TXT-1 & TXT-2
    Transmission

• (2) - 11x6mm
    • (4) - 11x5mm
    • (2) - 8x5mm

TXT-1 & TXT-2
    Axles

• (16) - 12x6mm
    • (4) - 11x6mm
    • (6) - 11x5mm
    • (2) - 8x5mm

**NOTE**
    TXT-1 Catilevers

• (8) - 8x5mm

[​IMG]

JUGGERNAUT (#58232), JUGGERNAUT 2 (#58256), & TXT-1 (358280)
    Transmission Shafts

[​IMG]

The JUGGERNAUT (#58232) & JUGGERNAUT 2 (#58256) "Gearbox"
    Use TWO 11x5mm
    bearings to fit either the Jugg's 5mm MA6 one-peice
    or the Jugg 2's 5mm MA6 splined "Drive Shaft" into the "Gearbox."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TXT-1 "Gearbox"(358280)
    Uses TWO 11x6mm bearings to fit the MG3 6mm "Drive Shaft" into the "Gearbox"

[​IMG]

The JUGGERNAUT (#58232) came with a unique A Parts Tree Item#0005719 "Gearbox" and has the year 1999 molded onto the sprue.

The Juggernaut 2 (#58256) & MAMMOTH DUMP TRUCK (#58268) came with a new A Parts Tree Item#0005759
    which included a newly designed A5 rear "Gearbox" half that used new "A & B Gear Shafts" which allowed for the installation
    of the "A & B Heat-sinks" and has the year 2000 molded onto the A5 rear gear box half.

The TXT-1 (358280), & TXT-2 AGRIOS (#58549) came with a revised A Parts Tree Item#0005759 "Gearbox"
    which is identical to the one for the Juggernaut 2 & Mammoth Dump Truck except that it has the year 2001 molded onto the A5 rear gearbox half.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUGGERNAUT (#58232) & JUGGERNAUT 2 (#58256) "Differntial Gearbox"
    Uses FOUR 11x5mm bearings to fit Item#0005720 B-1 "Upper Differential Gearbox"
    to either the
    5mm Jugg MB2 "Drive Bevel (Long)" or the 5mm Jugg 2 MB13 "Bevel Gear Shaft (Long)"

[​IMG]

TXT-1 "Differntial Gearbox"(358280)
    Uses FOUR 11x6mm bearings to fit Item#0005720 B-1 "Upper Differential Gearbox"
    to the
    6mm MG2 "Bevel Gear Shaft (Long)."

[​IMG]

The JUGGERNAUT (#58232) originally used a unique "Differential Gearbox" B Parts tree Item#0005720 and they have the year 1999 molded onto the sprue.

The JUGGERNAUT 2 (#58256) & MAMMOTH DUMP TRUCK (#58268) use a new "Differential Gearbox" B Parts Tree Item#0005760
    that had the year 2000 molded onto the Differential Gearbox halves.

The TXT-1 (358280) & TXT-2 AGRIOS (#58549) uses a revised "Differential Gearbox" B Parts Tree Item#0005760 that included a new
    "Upper Differential Gearbox Cover" with a 4-link mount that had the year 2001 molded onto it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. Jun 18, 2013 #14

FlashGordon1

FlashGordon1

FlashGordon1

15. Aug 29, 2013 #15

Arcocustom

Arcocustom

Arcocustom

Custom BTA steering servo mount made from aluminum angle.

[​IMG]

It is made in two-pieces and clamps over the differential housing using existing holes.

[​IMG]

The servo mount has been clearanced for the left steering hub, the left front inboard shock, and left lower front 4 link mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]