tuber builds

Budhatrain

^ there is no optical illusions there is definitely differences in those two tubers! Both look good would like to see what they look like with some powdercoat on them and axles ect...

BlackLabel

^ there is no optical illusions there is definitely differences in those two tubers! Both look good would like to see what they look like with some powdercoat on them and axles ect...
There are small differences in the tube work,but not the scale was all I was saying.
But let's keep the differences on the low low before Derric shows up in here..lol

they are both 10th scale. the one has a bigger cab area by about 1/2in wider, and the back suport is alittle different. abought the only thing different in the two. the pic might make the other look bigger I guess.

MonsterTrucker

That is not salting the game. They are gonna reproduce a chassis for a limited few that they have had for years. 200 dollars its a tube frame truck and is a good way for anyone looking to build a tuber with out breaking the bank. There a proven chassis and can handle being abused. These chassis arent exact replicas but do get the job done for people looking to build one. 350 is what Spyder is charging for a chassis. Kinda expensive imo for some one whos newer to this place selling them. If someone has 350 to play with, I'd like to see what kind of beating his chassis will take. Not trying to slam him in anyway so dont take it that way.

no biggy at all. I kinda been building rc's for the last 5 to 6 years in the crawler part of the hobby. started welding when dad gave me a welder at 8 years old on the farm, and told mo to go fill holes up that he just dilled hole in. really good way to learn how to weld, and I was doing it better than most guys that were four times my age, but no biggy. I kinda wish I just had better welders and tools to work with. think I have maby $500-$600 in welders and thing I use for building these. LOL I've seen my rigs fall off a 20' cliff and not do any thing to them, and bust axles all to **** with alum. hoop up's and shocks get blown apart from a bad crash. kinda why I switch to tig welding all my stuff intead of solder/brazing stuff together. doing it the old way was more of a pain to keep cages together, but back into the monster truck tuber. think you could drive the thing as fast as you could int a brick wall, and break everything you have bolted to this tuber. and have nothing go wrong with it, **** you probably drive over it with your truck you drive every day. **** I did it with one of my southern style buggy's I did just to prove a point to a guy here locally. but if I don't have alot of positive feedback with these I'll just stick to crawlers, was trying something new with what I know. but no biggy. thats why I use 3/16th solid rod, becuse I know it works, and works well.
thought I would try my hand at trying to build some monsters. was going to build some jigs but will see first if I can break even with these or not. think I might just build a couple more for my self, to see if I really want to do these at all. will see what come of it. no hurt fellings at all here. thanks for the feedback

to you all thanks for all the feedback.

thanks, nick

Last edited:

JKRacing37

From what I can see, that price would be well worth it. The work looks quality, the joints are clean, and if you've ever tried to build a tuber then you know the amount of work that goes into it.

As far as them "taking a beating" I don't know if any tuber is really designed to jump a house. Even the legendary beach tubers will bend up if you try hard enough. Sure, the New Era tuber will take some abuse but then again you ever weighed one? A little Jenny Craig would go a long way with that chassis.

If I had the funds or desire to build a monster truck right now, I'd definitely be in line to get one of these. Good luck with your endeavors spyderwebb...you make a nice looking chassis!

BlackLabel

That is not salting the game. They are gonna reproduce a chassis for a limited few that they have had for years. 200 dollars its a tube frame truck and is a good way for anyone looking to build a tuber with out breaking the bank. There a proven chassis and can handle being abused. These chassis arent exact replicas but do get the job done for people looking to build one. 350 is what Spyder is charging for a chassis. Kinda expensive imo for some one whos newer to this place selling them. If someone has 350 to play with, I'd like to see what kind of beating his chassis will take. Not trying to slam him in anyway so dont take it that way.
Seriously though,derric,nick and myself are friends..That's why I said something bout salting the game.
But really,nicks chassiss are amazing,the quality of tubers he produces is second to none.
Trust and believe they are super tough,he has been building tube crawlers for sometime now and I have heard
Zero complaints about his work.and for real,350 is a steal for a custom hand made monster tube chassis.Plus I know they are lighter than the new era chassis,which by the way I have seen mangled from bashing,every chassis I know of that nick has built is still being ran and abused on rock piles nationwide.

Oh well,no need to compete between something you can get for sure,and something that might happen..

SpyderWebbCustoms rules!!!..Nuf said...

thanks guys, like before I don't have any hard fillings. just trying to explain what and were I came from. not really new at building cages. so I've found out what and not to do with these. but the one thing with the monster tuber, these are the first monster I've done. so kinda trying to figure out how to work these to make them alittle bit better. think after the next one you'll see the differnt's with how it'll come out comared to these two. ya on the crawlers I've done a few a sent over sea's. have done so many don't really know were half of them went.

HawnMT

Spyder I know your work from RCC and it's top notch. But might I make an observation/recommendation...

2.25 is pretty heavy for a chassis, and your chassis' while nice, aren't exactly scale. It's not they are way off but they aren't scaled down versions of any of the real ones. Now I can guess that's mainly because of the large solid rod you're using and the fact that real ones have much more complex geometry and therefore would be much heavier and expensive. But my point is there's two ways to go with this, either performance or scale. With the weight you have it's not really performance because it ruins the CG of a go fast truck.

I would suggest deciding which way to go on future chassis'. If you straddle the divide like now I can't see a whole lot of people running these in the long term. There may be an initial flood of orders but if they can't drive it and it doesn't look scale enough then people won't keep them. Boyer leans heavily torwards scale but since he uses small diameter rod on his chassis' they perform pretty well but they are still a bit heavy. All this is just my opinion of course.

Either way I hope you stick with it here because we really don't have enough tube chassis builders.

another thing. these digger builds take alot of labor to do. was waiting on rcc to update their web site to post some pic's of one of my customers builds. the thing is if their is more of a universal frame kit you guys would like to see. post up some pic's, then I can go from their and put my own twist on them. for price if is faster for me to build a universal tuber the price of them will drop quit a bit.

HawnMT

I'm sure a lot of guy's will post up wanting the newer style CRD, Patrick, or even the Concussion Bigfoot 18 uses, but I think a good way to start off would be with a Willman chassis, most famously used now by Maximum Destruction. It's an old design but it's simple and tough so it shouldn't be too hard to make and won't require a whole bunch of material. It won't translate too well for the Digger builders but should be alright for most truck applications. On the plus side you could make them a little smaller for the Traxxas Max-D Monster Jam body and have an accurate scaler. I can't find a pic of just the bare chassis but I'm sure someone else will have one.

kinda how I do the crawlers is work form alot of different rigs and combine them into one, kinda make seance. with a pic I can make up as I go with the stuff I can't see. works well for coming up with a style of my own with a rig.

BlackLabel

Well I know that there is gonna be a Patricks chassis done at some point,mostly all the monster jam featured trucks use patricks
chassis,outside of the big guns like digger and max d and a couple select others.The woodcock frame would be a cool one too..
If I was to jig one up for serious production it'd be the Patricks.

HawnMT

All the new style chassis are awesome but they are also very complex. If you went to small diameter rod you could do it but it will be very labor intensive and therefore very expensive. I definitely would like to see it done but I think to start with a Willman is the way to go for now. The other part to think about is the type of drivetrain you'll build around. Clods axles/motors are bulky and don't lend themselves well to the newer style chassis because their cradle are so low and axles interfere with the lower part of the chassis.

Maximum Destruction Willman chassis

Dan Patrick Samson chassis.

Last edited:

BlackLabel

No need to send this one to you now spyder....oooo me like...makes the chassis look a whole lot less complex from.this angle,I think hawnmt found the one pic that made the patricks chassis look the most complex..no offense hawnmt..

Last edited:

kdrodworks316

Wow, what a battle of mt guys, lol! Hawnmt seems to know his monster truck chassis, hes right on the money. I'm in the mt industry and I agree with him. As far as my chassis being off scale, I dont think its off scale at all. Most chassis are made from 2" tubing, which scaled down the 3/16 translates well. I've built a bunch of brass tubing chassis from 1/8", and its to small. While it may look better to some, its not accurate to scale. On the subject of weight, a tad over 2lbs is pretty light compared to a new era, maybe a bit heavy compared to a boyer. While weight is always an issue, in scale tuber mt racing and freestyle, not so much. If your building a scale tuber truck out of steel, its going to have some weight to it. As far as being able to handle abuse, I will have to get back to ya'all on that. I'm going to beat this chassis to death and do some serious testing with it. Someone brought up CG, well, Monster trucks are top heavy, period end of story. While one chassis may work a bit better as far as cg than another, that same truck may perform better as a freestyle truck rather than a racer. I figure you build a scale truck to get scale performance. A tuber may not compete with a carbon fiber CPE chassis in a race, it will perform like a full scale truck if its built properly. Now that I've laid that to rest, on to costs. This is my first time hiring out a chassis build, and I have talked to Nick many times on the phone about this build. I have to say that what I got charged for this chassis is a steal of a deal when you consider the way Nick has gone out of his way to make me happy. I have already hired Nick to do another chassis for me and I havent even seen the first one in person. I know that I will be that happy with it, and if I'm not, I know Nick will do whatever it takes to make me happy. I dont know Nick personally, but I can assure anyone that the price he charges is money well spent if you want a superior chassis from a builder that cares about the product hes putting out. I will always stand behind Nicks work in any forum because of the way he has treated me as a customer. Now nothing against any other chassis or builders out there, but I think Nick can compete with any of them for scale, quality, design and strength. I think for his first mt chassis, it looks great! I also know that during the course of my build, its been tossed in the scrap bin a couple of times and started over because it wasnt right. Nick is a perfectionist and takes alot of pride in his work. I know he will be a great builder and do a great job for everyone who hires him to do a build.

been working on this crawler, and will need to get another done before I get back to doing these monsters.

so will be back here in a couple weeks or less with another digger build. will try something different with the next one to try to keep the weight down for the next one.