Tlt-1 aka Mini Prime

1Badclod

Yo! Well after I finished my ripper pro build I planned to hold off on another build until after the 1st of the year. Some how I ended up on eBay searching for TLT's. I've been eyeing one of these little buggers for the better part of 2 years. Was always hesitant on getting one, because I was unsure of the parts support.

Decided to jump on a chassis that was fairly priced on eBay, there were quite a few to choose from but this one spoke to me. After purchasing I dug into old threads to find the name of it. Turns out it's a chassis from Tamiya Racing. Need to find axles, wheels and tires. I'll find a body for it one I get it all here and see what kind of wb I'm working with. Listing says 10.5 wb so we shall see.

Basic layout for this build is going to be basically a mini replica of my ripper pro build (only a shafty lol) pretty excited for this build, probably more excited than the clod build to be honest haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rocpede4x4

Nice find! I have the same chassis, that I have been needing to get some work done on it..

Sent from my 2500HD

Badmudrtruckr

The belt drive in these is surprisingly tough. I run mine with a 2080kv motor on 3S and it's held up fine. There are ways to use other transmissions with some creativity.

1Badclod

The belt drive in these is surprisingly tough. I run mine with a 2080kv motor on 3S and it's held up fine. There are ways to use other transmissions with some creativity.
Really!? That seems like a lot of power for a little truck haha

Badmudrtruckr

Yep, but it's fun! I geared it really low. Can't remember the exact pinion/spur combination, but I did switch over to 48 pitch. If your center differential hasn't yet been locked, that is an absolute must. I don't understand why Tamiya even made them like that.

th67ss

Ah man, I've been eyeing that one for a while......I just couldn't figure out I would do with it. Glad some got that's going to make it look killer!

1Badclod

Yep, but it's fun! I geared it really low. Can't remember the exact pinion/spur combination, but I did switch over to 48 pitch. If your center differential hasn't yet been locked, that is an absolute must. I don't understand why Tamiya even made them like that.
That's awesome! I was planning on just running the motor that's in it and maybe a old Novak or lrp esc. I still like my brushed mod electronics too lol. Where would I find said locker?

Ah man, I've been eyeing that one for a while......I just couldn't figure out I would do with it. Glad some got that's going to make it look killer!
Haha sorry man had to! I hope it comes out half decent.

However! There is an exact one with shocks on there right now for 135!!!

theblazer24

I put some silly putty in my Pede diff and it kind of Semi locked it, its mostly locked but if you turn on concrete its not lol

T_Tank

Now call me crazy on this but.... why not use a traxxas 1/16 mini e-revo trans with the 540 mount? I'm using a adapter I had shapeways print to fit the chassis using the stock plates lower link mount holes as a mounting point. Now you do need to use a different rear upper 4 link mount on the axle for clearance but it really brings the weight down!

Using a penguin rc tlt-1 chassis with mine

and as you can see on the rear axle the upper 4 link mount is a bit aggressively dropped to give me a good bit of suspension travel. I don't know what wheel base your running but my tlt-1 is at a 8.5" wheel base with no issues shocks bottom out before anything hits the motor (which is a tekkin redline 13.5 13mm HD rotor on 2 cell :emot151: )

Tad

I took the belt transmission apart. Took the bottom cog off replaced it with a large spur gear. I made aluminum plates to hold the diff. Just drilled holes for the bearings. Mounted it to the side of the chassis. Made a motor slot on one side of the plate. It is a direct drive transmission setup. It works very well. I run a 5700 in mine now it is a lot of fun.

Was always one of my favorite trucks to run. Wished they would have taken off better. Made great race trucks just most got turned into crawlers.

1Badclod

Thanks T_Tank and Tad for all the insight on this thing! Hearing all of this really gets me even more excited to dig in. I think what I'm going to do is go Tads direction, my buddy James is pretty slick on cad so I might send him the current transmission and have him make me a bracket to hold a center diff and motor for direct drive. That seems like it should be a lot of in its self lol.

HawnMT

I have spool in my trans. I'm not sure exactly where it came from but I'm pretty sure it's a hop up for the diff on one of Tamiya's belt drive cars.

1Badclod

Got the little booger today! Put some proline pro specs on it. Hopefully they work well when I get the axles and tires on it!

T_Tank

neat stuff man! Just another random thought for a trans replacment if you were thinking direct drive but how about getting the center diff/motor mount out of a axial exo terra buggy? its 32pitch and a bit overkill but "should" be easy to adapt into a tlt-1 chassis and be able to use axial diff locker in it just need out if you dont want to use dog bones.

though thinking about it you could probably use any 4wd buggy diff/motor mount to get a direct drive like something out of a mini8 but that may be to small.. What kind of tires ya looking to run on it?