Stampede Shafts Almost A Direct Fit

Discussion in 'Tamiya RC Monster Truck Forum' started by twisted8, Jun 22, 2008.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

Tags:
  1. Jun 22, 2008 #1

twisted8

twisted8

twisted8

hey guys, i just wanted to share a bit of info for the folks twisting the stock drive shafts. i was gonna put on traxxas jato shafts like will is but the local shop didnt have any but they did have pede shafts and the metal yokes.the yokes cost more but...:willy

so i thought for sure that i would have to shorten the shafts after reading where another guy used pede shafts and he had to shorten the front. well all i can say is after putting them on and grinding a small portion of the lip of the metal yoke down they are a direct fit on the front.

the back may be a different story as i didn't do that shaft yet.

2. Jun 22, 2008 #2

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

Also the shafts from Axial's AX10 scorpian can easily be made to fit. New they cost a bit more than the traxxas mentioned above but you might be able to pick some up cheap from a crawler guy who upgraded.

Think I'll pin this thread because without a slipper the shafts are the weak point :wnk

3. Jun 22, 2008 #3

Badd Andy

Badd Andy

Badd Andy

I too just got a set of stampede shafts off Ebay, the back one is gonna need some shortening ( roughly 1/2 inch ) I dont have the metal yolks just the stock plastic ones and they need to be drilled out to fit the CR-01 axels btu at least the Traxxas pins fit the axels without modification, when I get around to it I'll post pics

4. Jun 22, 2008 #4

twisted8

twisted8

twisted8

yes this would eb a great sticky. the stock shafts are the weak link. i twisted two frotns and popped a front u joint.

5. Jun 24, 2008 #5

Badd Andy

Badd Andy

Badd Andy

ok, I installed the stampede shaft on the rear only (so far), turns out I was way off with the guess on only removing a 1/2 inch, it was more like 1 1/4", at full compression I have about 3mm of shaft left to compress, and I havent tested this mod out yet but I'm sure it will be an improvement over the stock shaft(s)

1st pic shows the stampede shaft on the left (rear)

2nd is a close up (lil blurry, sorry)

3rd is a comparison of stock up top, the increments of what I removed off, and a stock stampede shaft, (sorry I didnt take a pic of the modded one before I installed it)

6. Jun 25, 2008 #6

twisted8

twisted8

twisted8

badd andy, is it exactly 1 1/4" removed from the rear ? that would take alot of guess work out for me and the people who have yet to do the mod.

thanks.

7. Jun 25, 2008 #7

Badd Andy

Badd Andy

Badd Andy

no, not exactly, the pieces I cut out in the pic measured 1 1/8", but as I "trialed and errored" I used a utility knife to shave off to make the cuts straight (cant cut straight with a hacksaw apparently) so this is just a close approximation of 1 1/4"

8. Jul 1, 2008 #8

twisted8

twisted8

twisted8

thanks. i still have ot do mine. i bought a slash truck and thats taking lots of my time up.

9. Oct 28, 2008 #9

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

placed here for reference purposes