Stampede Restoration

Discussion in 'Traxxas RC Monster Truck Forum' started by kevinatfms, Oct 3, 2014.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

As some may have seen, i found this Pede at a junkyard sale. It was is extremely rough shape. Its an early rehash model XL5, so it still has the 5x8 bushings at the wheel ends and the non adjustable camber links. When i got it back to my house i went through the truck. It needed: body, wheels and tires, toe links, motor/esc combo. Since i have had some Pedes in the past i went through my boxes of stuff and found some old TRX red aluminum toe links that i used on another project. Installed them and set the toe at 0* with my RPM toe gauge. Also found a set of tires off ebay for cheap and picked them up. Soldered on a TRX battery connector onto a 45amp trackstar esc i had laying around and picked the 17T (380 can finned 540) motor and installed it. I was afraid it wasnt going to have enough power but with a 16/86 gear ratio on a 2s lipo it topped out around 19mph. Not blistering fast but good enough for a day 1 jaunt through my neighborhood.

Pics as posted before in the Hobby Room thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On my list of things to install/order:
    Prographix Traxxas body(someone give me a unique color to paint this thing!!!)
    2.2 RPM renegade wheels in black with 2.2 Imex All-T's for the monster look
    bigger motor - thinking a 9T trackstar motor to match the esc
    new XL5 shocks as these are leaking badly due to the stripped caps

Im building this to be my bashing machine. My friend has recently gotten back into r/c after a few years and he is the total basher type. We head out to a local middle school with a HUGE baseball field and setup some courses and do timed runs with different kinds of cars, trucks, buggies. We were surprised when a lot of the neighborhood families came out to watch. So we told everyone we would be out a few weekends a month and if anyone had any r/c stuff to bring it out. Next plan is to go out in two weeks, hope it doesnt rain!

2. Oct 3, 2014 #2

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

Just picked up a set of 5x11 bearings & carriers both front and rear to replace the 5x8 bushing equipped stock units. Should free up the drivetrain a bit.

3. Oct 8, 2014 #3

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

Added rpm front arms. New body, wheels and tires to be mounted tonight.
    Update pics tonight when i get completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Oct 12, 2014 #4

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer Contributor

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. Oct 13, 2014 #5

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

New pics. Body is tamiya color changing paint with a green background.
    17T motor is working great with the gear ratio at 17/86. Gets to about 130 degrees on 3s through thick grass. So i believe that is the highest ill be able to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Oct 13, 2014 #6

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer Contributor

Looks good. Did they send you the wrong sticker sheet with that body?

7. Oct 13, 2014 #7

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

YEAH! Really made me mad. So for now ill just stick with it as is. Has this happened to you?

8. Oct 13, 2014 #8

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer Contributor

Yeah i used them anyway. The one that really didnt fit was the front window. I used a black marker to color around it to black out the space. The rest fit ok.

Sent from LG G3

9. Oct 13, 2014 #9

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

i dont understand why the decal set is different? The body seems the same as the regular stampede body. I wonder if the decals are for the older XL1 truck?

Either way im not using them. Ill come up with my own vinyl decals if i have to for the windows or try to source some original XL5 decal sheets.

EDIT: Looking at the body descriptions on ebay and tower hobbies, the body that prographix uses are from the old XL1 stampede which looked like a dodge ram. The newer decal sheet that traxxas included is from the newer, smaller windshield version of the XL5 body which has the roof scoop which shrinks the windshield.

10. Oct 13, 2014 #10

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer Contributor

Yeah major fail on Traxxas' part. They should know the stickers dont fit. Unless they were put in by mistake all day one day....

Sent from LG G3

11. Oct 14, 2014 #11

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

im going to call them today and see if they will ship me the regular XL1 sticker sheet. I could not find it on the buytraxxas.com website so im hoping that they have seen this before and will understand.

12. Oct 14, 2014 #12

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

Just got off the phone with them. I will have to send pictures of it tonight to the service rep and they will let me know the outcome. If you dont mind, shoot me a few of yours and ill add it to the list. They may want to send you a set also to rectify the issue. PM me if you would like me to forward the information to them.

13. Oct 22, 2014 #13

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

well, traxxas sent me another set of decals part number 3613R which did not work either. They are the same exact ones. I then sent them another email explaining in pictures that they were wrong again and I need the old style decal sheet from an XL1 stampede. They replied that they do not stock them and that I should ask for a refund from tower hobbies.

SO, tomorrow I will have to contact tower hobbies about a possible refund. I am really pissed because I really like the old style XL1 body. I hope that tower hobbies can refund me or let me choose another body.

14. Oct 26, 2014 #14

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

well, running the truck around and went airborne like crazy. cleared 10-15 feet and landed on the transmission and broke the idler gear. now to order the new proline transmission!

15. Oct 31, 2014 #15

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

welp, no Proline transmission. was going to use a discount tower code but it wouldnt let me use it on the proline trans. so, instead i went and replaced the idler, diff and top shaft with new VXL components, installed new bearings and modded the case a bit to improve airflow over the motor.
    next up is a bigger ESC and bigger motor, rebuild the shocks(leaking badly) and install the Racers Edge Machine chassis.

for the motor im thinking 2400kv 1415 castle motor and a mamba max pro.

16. Nov 20, 2014 #16

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer Contributor

Sorry I never got back to about the decals. I haven't been on here in a month or so. So did Tower help you out with a refiund ? I suspect not since it was a factory problem that they didn't even want to fix. IMO traxxas should have done right by you since THEY put the wrong stickers in there. As much money as they make selling boat loads of Slashes and everything else they should have just sent you a body or coupon or something.

About the idler gear--I knew that was coming! My first electric RC was a Stampede kit with MSC. I hopped it up like crazy and chased the weak link around until it was the idler gear. I had a terrible problem wit the output yokes stripping daily because the set screws didn't go all the way through the output shafts they just snugged up against it. Once I got the aluminum ones they didn't strip but the idler did! One land on the throttle or some rough terrain would shear off a bunch off teeth. I was always riding that fine line between too much slippage on the slipper and not enough. The new style slipper clutch works way better too even though you don't get that awesome squeal the old pegs made...

The VXL transmissions are amazing. I run 3s in my Rustler with a 4000kv 540 with zero problems doing wheelies all the time landing on power and just beating on it all the time. I've actually twizzlered driveshafts and snapped them but no problem with the trans.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  17. Nov 20, 2014 #17

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer Contributor

If you go with a 2400kv motor you'd probably have to run 3s all the time to make it haul right? Idk I've never used one of those motors but since the pede is so light, would you be better off with a 3800sct system with mamba and 2s? My nephew has that SCT 3800 system in his and its plenty fast, wheelies on demand even at speed, the 2s hardcase fits right in the chassis, it can run for 30min and not overheat....

18. Nov 20, 2014 #18

northerngames

northerngames

northerngames

Contributor Contributor

on 3s the 2400kv would still be in the sluggish mode speed wise but have tons of torque.

3800kv on 2s would be good for a high torque mild top end setup, 4600kv would loose the low torque some over the 3800kv but be a lawn rocket for speed.

the 3800kv can do 3s in lighter models so you may be able to have options there for both worlds on 2s/3s and on 3s it would be as fast as the 4600kv top end running on 2s but still have the bottom torque the 4600kv lacks.

it also runs alot hotter of course becuase 3s on the 3800kv is pushing the motor that much harder.

the 2400kv would need 4s to be on par speed wise and to have the 4s torque in the pede with a motor that size would be extreme on the driveline but it would be mean mean if it can hold lol.

19. Nov 22, 2014 #19

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

Tower never did anything. I was very disappointed in the end. Both companies pointed fingers at the other and that was about it. Traxxas sent me a few decal sets but all were wrong. Then they just said return to tower. Tower said Traxxas deals with issues and take it back up with them.

2400kv is def about as fast as the 12t titan. Nothing more is needed and I can throw a 3s on it and top 30mph or so. Ill probably swap it out later for a 3500 or 3800kv motor and change to 32p gearing. the 2400kv motor was just one I had laying around.

as far as the trans goes its a mish-mash of parts. half xl1, half vxl parts. it has xl1 driveshafts with full pins, vxl slipper, vxl gears, xl1 case and diff. so far it is working but im sure ill have to rebuild it again at some point.

20. Dec 4, 2014 #20

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Contributor Contributor

Swapped out the 2400 and 45amp esc for a the new VXL esc and a 3500motor. Going to run a 20/86 gear ratio which i believe is stock. This is a good rounded setup and works on all surfaces. Going to change the body too since i hate not having "windows" on the body. Thinking of the Proline F100 truck body in OD green.