Setting Up A Radio For Your Hilift

Discussion in 'Tamiya RC Monster Truck Forum' started by williamg, Jun 3, 2006.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

Tags:
  1. Jun 3, 2006 #1
    I set up a traxxas tq3 for a blazer, and a hilux and they work mint. I've picked them up from e-bay for 33 bucks shipped to my door. Radio, reciever and crystals. There are lots selling without, but look for the whole deal it happens.

I now have done 3 of these radios. 1 hour max time to do it.

A switch from radio shack is 4 bucks, Purchase this switch, or one similar.

Must be a center off for shifting, rock crawlers want a momentary for rear steer.

[​IMG]

Pull your crystal and batteries out.

Remove the 5 screws from the rear of the radio, #1 philips.

Seprate the 2 halves making sure the entire electronics stay in the front half.

Notice the grey center wire on the traxxas red rocker, this wire must go to the center of your new switch. The black and white go to the 2 outside terminals.

Take your iron, or gun and desolder these wires from the rocker.

I put my spdt switch up in the top of my radio so I need to lengthen the 3 wires.

A good idea if your going to drill is to remove anything close to your hole. I know, wrecked a steering pot and had to steal one from a 2ch radio. :banghead Dull drill bit :banghead

[​IMG]

Solder up the switch, and install in either the rocker hole, or the new one you made. If you mount it near the steering remove the extra (second) nut to stick the switch out farther.

[​IMG]

Put back half back on carefull not to pinch any wires.

Pop in the crystal, and batteries and test, servo reversing will change top and bottom positions, and there is a (screw driver) trim adjustment up front to center it.

2. Jun 21, 2006 #2

pettycash

pettycash

pettycash

Detroit 395

I have a few questions about this set-up. Is the stock switch still connected? And how could one use this set-up to run a Clod w/ center being front steer, one way being all wheel steer and the other direction being crabwalk? Thanks for help.

3. Jun 21, 2006 #3

JKRacing37

JKRacing37

JKRacing37

for rear steering use a momentary switch
    rear steer would be manual for rear steering
    the radio has no "mixing" functions

red rocker needs to be disconnected-disabled

Just to add - you can add EPA to this set up by soldering the wire to the middle leg of a 1K multi-turn trim pot, and the outer switch leg to either outer leg of the trim pot. Do this for each side of the switch and you'll be able to adjust the end point in each direction independently.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4

RideRed

RideRed

RideRed

I just wanted to let everyone know the JR XS3 Pro does work for shifting but you can only shift 2 gears not all 3. I set mine up on C but I think you can also use A and then all you need to do is set up the end points on left movement and right movement by selecting the direction and using the increase and decrease buttons to get the right throw. It works great. I had also moved the shifting servo over one set of holes to get the linkage to line up better the servo horn just misses the frame rail but it is close. I had also took out the factory servo saver and put in a high torque servo and now it turns alot better (I could use a longer arm) exspecily when climbing rocks and in and out of valleys. I did have to remove the on-off switch box to fit the servo when not using the servo saver.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

Can you choose which two gears to use? I mean, can you use 1st and 2nd OR 2nd and 3rd? Or is it only possible to use 1st and 2nd? (1st and 2nd is what I would want anyway)

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6

RideRed

RideRed

RideRed

yes you can pick 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd or even 1st and 3rd

7. Nov 21, 2006 #7

Eviltwincustoms

Eviltwincustoms

Eviltwincustoms

I run the JR XR3 and use "A" and get all 3 gears just as stated after I figured out how to set up my radio. Didn't like using the programmed 3rd channel of the Increase and Decrease because it seemed to slamm the gears in instead of a more gradual throw. Only thing I am still thinking of switching out the "A" into a different type of switch so I don't have to hold it into position either all the way to the Left for 1st gear or all the way to the right to get 3rd gear. When it sits in the neutral position it stays in 2nd gear all the time.

8. Dec 21, 2006 #8

Eviltwincustoms

Eviltwincustoms

Eviltwincustoms

If you reference pg. 14 & 15 of the manula for the xr3 you want to put channel 3 on FN3 (3P) this is the 3 position for "A"
    Then for the Travel Adjust functionality pages 18 & 19 to adjust the servo for 1st and 3rd gears.. Far left and Far right. In the neutral position it will rest in second gear all the time, then to shift up or down you would move the "A" button.

I didn't have the origianl manual so I went to the JR site and downloaded a PDF file for my Radio.

I hope this help.. At first I couldn't figure it out.. then started playing with all the functions of the radio and figured it out.. I must say it works really well after you figure it out..

Good Luck and let me know if you need any more help you can shoot me an email if you would like.
    Bart:rock

9. Apr 14, 2007 #9

twisted8

twisted8

twisted8

so how does this switch work ? up is 1st,middle 2nd and down for 3rd ?

10. Jan 18, 2008 #10

STRATESHUTER

STRATESHUTER

STRATESHUTER

i was wondering when modifying the tq3 can you instead of using the toggle switch use a three way switch. it might be a dumb question but i am new to the whole modifying remote controls so i do not know much about how they work.

11. Jan 18, 2008 #11

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

the switch I posted is a 3 position center off switch
    1st 2nd 3rd, second gear being the middle spot.

The correct switch type is that one, anything else won't function right. Can be a toggle, rotary, or slide witch as long as it holds positions.

12. Feb 21, 2008 #12

TRUCKNUT

TRUCKNUT

TRUCKNUT

I used the set up on a TQ3 for my high lift and it works great.

13. Apr 14, 2008 #13

dpdsurf

dpdsurf

dpdsurf

Thanks! I just did this for my new Hilux. Works perfect! I really didn't want a dual stick radio and I didn't want to fork out 300 bucks for a Spektrum DX3R. :rock:tmb

14. Nov 11, 2008 #14

Zahik

Zahik

Zahik

mmm this didn't work out well on the Hitec Aggressor 3-ch as the push button had only 2 wires connected to a small board which the button is mounted on, and not 3 wires.. Any help?

15. Jan 12, 2009 #15

dsfire1

dsfire1

dsfire1

radio

just did this mod to my traxxas radio.worked like a charm.thats for the how to.

16. Dec 7, 2010 #16

toy1

toy1

toy1

bruiser

hi all im new hear and i have a tamiya bruiser and i read about the tmaxx radio converson so do you use the traxxas servos with it thanks for eny help you can give.

17. Dec 12, 2010 #17

soilwork

soilwork

soilwork

You can use any servo. Just because you are using specific brand of transmitter, it doesn't mean you need to use that brand of servos.