Retro Jamie chassis build

dirtovalrich

I see it now I knew It had something to do with the hitch , my Jamie chassis does not have them elongated like this just one hole on each side.

Manfjourde

Contributor
I see it now I knew It had something to do with the hitch , my Jamie chassis does not have them elongated like this just one hole on each side.
That's odd.

Okay I just installed the shift fork and screwed the tranny halves together and it seems to spin with a little friction. Almost like something is rubbing on the case. Before putting screws in I held the tranny together tight and spun and it seemed fine. The cases didn't "mate" as clean as I would expect them but with the screws in they went together fine. Any thoughts on this? I double checked the washer shims and everything to be sure it is in the proper place and I am pretty sure I'm good.

HawnMT

If it's a slight amount of drag than it might just be the fork rubbing against the coupler a little bit, which is normal.

Jerry Matoon

My BigBoss weighs in at 10lbs 12oz that is with the 4 cell batt. these trucks are heavy.
No wonder I could feel the difference between yours and mine just by picking it up! WOW

Now I will have to scale my NO Problem! and see what that weighs in at. That has RC4WD scale shocks in it and that is definitely over-sprung!

Manfjourde

Contributor
Well I went to install a Robinson racing slipper and it has some wobble and the gear seems to not be true or doesn't center. I emailed them to see what they can do and also ordered a stock setup to try.

Waiting for parts in the mail is the worst.

Manfjourde

Contributor
I have been working on the truck this morning and got most of the wobble out of the spur - I will try the stock when it arrives and just go with whatever spins truer.

Revo center driveshafts, they needed to but cut a bit to fit. The way the shackles allow flexing the front needed to be cut a lot because it compresses together. I'll need to drive it do see if I need to cut more depending on how much it compresses.

william g

Retired
I am thinking about one of these in this truck, I don't want to run brushed or dual motors for now. Do you think this on 2s would be fine to play with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-Leopard-TORO60A-3000KV-13T-Brushless-Motor-1-10-Car-Combo-w-program-card-/251176057064?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7b4278e8
3000KV is a fairly slow motor
and that seller is the CREEP that sent me 2 crushed systems (137.00) and had me return them (23.00 to HK) and never refunded my money

Manfjourde

Contributor
3000KV is a fairly slow motor
and that seller is the CREEP that sent me 2 crushed systems (137.00) and had me return them (23.00 to HK) and never refunded my money
Thanks for the info Will, I'll steer clear. I don't want a ton of speed because this will be rear steer and the setup isn't so much built for it. Do you think a 3300 would be better than the 3000 for this setup?

Manfjourde

Contributor
I am currently building one myself, and I am having all sorts of issues with the trans. Can anyone walk me through one of these old E-Maxx trans units? With the "shift unit" installed, it seems to just bind up and will not spin at all. Without it installed, I can get the thing to turn, but the gear reduction is so atrocious, that the thing won't move with wheels/tires installed. I really would appreciate someone walking through the unit and maybe helping me pinpoint exactly what I am doing wrong. I am this step away from it going off to paint, so I am about at the end of my rope with this thing. Thank you!
I haven't ran mine but it spins smooth by hand and when I shift it too. This is emaxx specific, try asking in an emaxx section. You may get more help on it.

Manfjourde

Contributor
Couple questions...

I want 3 servos, 2 for steering which will be high torque and one for shifting. Can the shifting servo be a mini or does it need to be standard? I will be getting a BEC, will a 10 amp be enough for the 3 servos?

What's a good, cheap radio system that will have a rocker/switch for shifting the servo? Never done 3 channel before.

william g

Retired
mini is fine for shifting
an older traxxas emaxx radio would be perfect, even one from the newer 2.4ghz trucks will do
or
buy a spectrum, there is info in the clod area what ones work for 4wsteering or shifting

HawnMT

I used the small traxxas servo but I used it with the shifting arm that came on the Emaxx because it has a built in servo saver on it.

Manfjourde

Contributor
Thanks for the info, I think I will leave it in 2nd for now until I can afford a new radio system. For now I need some opinions - my theme is pirates, specifically Buccaneers (not a fan of the NFL team, I just love pirates). Anyway, Kevin with RCsoup has some decals coming and I need opinions on your favorite name style so I can get them printed. The truck main color will be a gray of sorts.

This will be on the door panel

One of these will go above the rear fender/wheel well on a stock clod body. Thoughts?

- this one has more space between each letter

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
I like the theme idea!

The font on the 3rd and 4th version match the font on the skull image.

Manfjourde

Contributor
I like the theme idea!

The font on the 3rd and 4th version match the font on the skull image.
Thanks Ernie - I can always count on a late night reply from you lol. Ya I thought that using the same font might pull the whole thing together.