Retro Jamie chassis build

Manfjourde

Contributor
Retro Jamie Grund chassis build

Well, I finally got the last few parts to really start working on this thing. I picked up a sweet chassis from Jamie as well as axles and a few other parts from some guys on here. I had to get a lot from online stores and waiting for parts to arrive was killing me. I got the shocks put together, built a 3906 tranny with modded steel idlers to fit - just waiting on a 3989 shift fork. Apparently the 3989x is too small, I tried it and it broke. I was able to get the leafs installed tonight. I'm mostly doing this for when I have questions so all you who have built a retro on a Jamie chassis or seen them in person, please chime in. As for the rest of you...I'm always open to advice!;)

I was doing homework and couldn't stand it anymore so grabbed the axles and installed the leafs, luckily I didn't lose anything in the keyboard!

Last edited:

Manfjourde

Contributor
Well I was up way too late but I got to watch some Olympics and get the axles mounted to the chassis. The shocks are all built - just need to install them.

Does anyone have some of these they can part with?

Manfjourde

Contributor
No one has any extra spacer mounts for the leafs?;)

Well, got the shocks installed tonight. So far I left the internal springs out but I am thinking it may need them after getting everything mounted.

Jerry Matoon

No one has any extra spacer mounts for the leafs?;)

Well, got the shocks installed tonight. So far I left the internal springs out but I am thinking it may need them after getting everything mounted.
I run them in my Frankenstein and it weighs less than those chassis' when fully built.

HDMM

Great build so far. I'd like to build one of these leaf spring trucks one day.
Same here, old school leaf sprung monster truck are awesome. I had a Juggernaut (1st version) when they first came out, I got into a bind and was forced to sell (along with my original Bruiser) It really sucks, been kicking myself for years for having to get rid of them.

Manfjourde

Contributor
Thanks for the compliments guys. I should have the shift fork today and can hopefully drop the tranny in and maybe driveshafts tool.

I put the internal springs in, seems that is what most guys do.

I'm working in my own theme in Photoshop that I love and will post some pics soon when I need some input on it ;)

Thunder VP

Yes, the curved slot is for the pulling hitch. You mount the hitch with the rear spring screw (remove the nut) and another screw through the curved slot. The slot allows the hitch height to be adjustable. As with any pulling truck, the higher the hitch the more likely it is to pull the front wheels off the ground and maybe flip over. :cool