Pulling sled design and hopefully build up

jetboat

I was going to buy a sled but, couldn't find one for sale that was chain drive and a good price so, I started doing research. Joe kindly provided me the directions sheet for the Eliminator sled so that I could get the general gearing. Here is my "working" design for the side plates. The sides will be 36" long and set up to use up to a 4.75" tire.

Draft1 by actcrazyitsfun, on Flickr

At the rear where you see the slots will be bearing holders/tensioner for the chains. The basket will run on angle aluminum and the side plates held together with cross bars every 50mm. Front and back of the sled will be either 1/4" or 1/2" aluminum.

Opinions? idea's before I send the design to the water jet cutter?

BCCrawler

Looks like it should work. Not to discourage you from doing your own sled but have you looked and Showmescalers sleds they are going to produce? They are over on the fullpullrc.com site in the sled section. Our club is going to be testing one next week I'll let you know how it goes.

Tad

Looks good. I can say one thing about a sled. Over building it is a plus. They take a lot of abuse and need to be built extra strong.

The best sled I have seen made in years is by Grady. It works very well and has proved to be very strong. He puts them on ebay from time to time.

dpero

I would avoid the upwards sloping angle. It's not necessary. Do whatever you can to keep dirt away from the weight box tracks.

Tad

Here is a pic of Gradys sled. You can see it is flat. Like said there is no need for the sled to have a upward rise.

jetboat

I started building parts to my sled a couple days ago and finally got the tires and chains on. I still need to figure out a tensioner for the axle chain.

1622048_10200699632213344_979778472_n by actcrazyitsfun, on Flickr

1743499_10200706628028235_177475966_n by actcrazyitsfun, on Flickr

1011679_10200706638028485_1367358235_n by actcrazyitsfun, on Flickr

With 4.2" tires it tops out at about 32'. The table on my mill is broken so, I have to wait for parts before I can go further. Im also trying to decide what way to go for tires and wheels. I really like the look of the 1.9 Flatirons but, I think a wider tire with more wheel will work better/stiffer.

jetboat

Updated pics...

Once I put the 2.2 wheels/tires on I had to adjust the gear ratio. With the 8t I was topping out just short of 40' so I went up to a 9t and now I top out at exactly 33'. I'm debating how much more fiddling I want to do to get it to exactly 30'. I'm waiting until I can get to my father in-laws so I can use his bender to build a new heavier basket.

IMG_6286 by actcrazyitsfun, on Flickr

RMSecor

Updated pics...

Once I put the 2.2 wheels/tires on I had to adjust the gear ratio. With the 8t I was topping out just short of 40' so I went up to a 9t and now I top out at exactly 33'. I'm debating how much more fiddling I want to do to get it to exactly 30'. I'm waiting until I can get to my father in-laws so I can use his bender to build a new heavier basket.

IMG_6286 by actcrazyitsfun, on Flickr
What exact scale size is this one? 1/16, 1/10 or 1/4? Just curious, as I am looking around for ideas. Thank you.