New to R/C with some questions - Stampede 2WD

Discussion in 'Traxxas RC Monster Truck Forum' started by rdscuba, Jun 22, 2016.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. Jun 22, 2016 #1

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

New to R/C trucks. Have been into R/C Heli and Drones for many years. Just purchased an entry level Traxxas 1/10 Stampede XL-5 TQ 2WD to get my feet wet. One reason for the purchase is that my 7 year old is very interested in my Drone flying, always wanting to help and learn. I cant really turn her loose with at $1.5k Drone or Heli... so I think this is where we will start.

I have scoured this forum and others. From what I gather a few "necessary" upgrades would be as follows:

- bushings to bearings (ordered)
    - wheelie bar (ordered)
    - servo saver (ordered)
    - large front bumber (ordered)

I also have a shopping cart full at Tower with the following:

- RPM Wide Front A-Arms Black Rustler/Stampede
    - RPM Screw Kit For Wide Front A-Arms Rustler/Stampede
    - Traxxas Turnbuckles Camber Link 49mm
    - Traxxas Turnbuckles 94mm T-Maxx (2)
    - Traxxas Talon 2.8" Front Tires On All-Star Stampede (2)
    - RPM Rear A-Arms Black Electric Rustler/Stampede (2)
    - ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Caster Block

Anyone care to advise me on what spare parts I need - the things that break the most often and will ruin an afternoon of playing if I don't have a few extra??

So, admitting that I have a lot to learn - please let me know your thoughts, tips and tricks that only someone with experience would know. For instance, I read or watched on YouTube something about superglue and tires... anyone care to elaborate??

Thanks in advance to everyone!

2. Jun 23, 2016 #2

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

Anyone here??

3. Jun 23, 2016 #3

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

Welcome to the forums! Traxxas trucks are great and I know you will have fun with it. A have a few traxxas trucks (stampede 4x4, slash 4x4 ultimate, and a rustler) and I drive them almost every day. From the upgrades that you've mentioned so far, it sounds like you got a good start. Right off the bat, I can say trust rpm and strc. They make great stuff. And also, try to avoid the brand integy. I've heard of many stories of people buying their aluminum parts and having the parts bend on them. I've always listened to their advice and avoided them, so I haven't wasted any money on their parts. Just fyi that's all. As far as tires are concerned, I saw you have talons in your shopping cart at tower hobbies. The talons are an kinda an ok tire. The rubber/tread on the tire itself lasts a long time, but the compound of the rubber is a little too hard, at least for me. My stampede came stock with them and seem to want to skip over the ground rather than grip, and I run on all terrain. I would highly suggest the brand proline racing as a source for great tires and wheels. Their tires are great quality is built to last. Definitely check them out and see what could work for the terrain would would want to run on. Talons are okay for getting you going quick, but some proline rubber is agreat investment, and you will definitely feel the increase in grip. And I would also throw a few stock traxxas spur gears in your shopping cart to have on standby in case you have a "fun-ending" breakage. They are cheap on tower hobbies and it doesn't hurt to have 2 or 3 on standby(at least on with you while you are out driving). Anyways now that I wrote a novel for you to read, lol, you can have something to chew on for a while. Keep us posted on whats up. I'm interested to see how the build goes.

4. Jun 23, 2016 #4

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

Great info, thank you for the reply. I put the Traxxas Talon 2.8 in the cart because I read they are needed on the rear when I upgrade to the RPM wide front A-arms. Perhaps I will remove them and just get 4 front Proline Racing tires (all terrain, I plan to be on any and every surface). I just do not know how to size the tires yet - I assume the 2.8" is what I will need to stick with. Do I keep the same wheels and just get tires? Do I get both new wheels and tires? Simple things that I have no clue about yet...

Again, thanks much for your advise. The Stampede just arrived at my home, while I am stuck here at work for a few more hours....

5. Jun 23, 2016 #5

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

You're welcome. All the traxxas two wheel drive trucks (and some 4 wheel drive trucks) have 12mm hexes on them (part that the wheel slips onto). And yes, 2.8's are the way to go. You can either use stock wheels and new tires, new wheels and stock tires, or new wheels and tires. Traxxas tires have what's called a traxxas style bead, and proline makes tires have a matching traxxas bead already on them that is compatible. If you personally like the look of the allstar wheels, then feel free to use those, if you like the proline wheels, then go with them. I personally like the proline ones myself. There are a few different models and sizes so make sure you get 2.8's (wheels and tires to match) and make sure that they have 12mm hexes on them. Proline's website will make all that info available to you. If you'd like to go with that wide front arms, be sure to get tires that have the same offest all around (offest being the built in widening on hex part of the wheel). It is alot easier to have the same offest all around than to have to keep track of where the different tires go.
    Here's the wide arms on rpm's website. I'd read the description to figure out what you need for your situation to make it work.
    ->http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a-arms/front-a-arms/wide-front-a-arms-for-the-traxxas-e-rustler-and-stampede-2wd-black/
    And here is another set of arms from them that might work on your truck too (they are called the offest compensating arms), but I don't know which one is the one that works with your truck and the same offest all around. I honestly haven'y done this to my rustler yet so I don't which one it is, but I figured to just bring it to your attention anyway.
    ->http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a-arms/front-a-arms/offset-compensating-front-a-arms-for-the-traxxas-slash-2wd-nitro-slash-black/

6. Jun 24, 2016 #6

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

Thanks bigbear, I will study up before I order.

7. Jun 24, 2016 #7

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

I just remembered something else that is an absolute must! Aluminum shock caps for the tops of your shocks. That traxxas trucks come with "ultra shocks" stock that have plastic black caps on the tops of the shocks. Because they are plastic they have a tendency to pop off when under a lot of stress when bashing. Aluminum caps will solve that problem immediately and permanently. No spilled oil all over you truck, and no headaches. Plastic caps on these shocks are a definite "fun-day of bashing" buzzkill, so I would highly consider checking them out. Traxxas and strc make them, and in different colors too.

8. Jun 24, 2016 #8

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

I put a set in the cart.. thanks!

9. Jun 25, 2016 #9

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

Well, it seems that the truck is a hit. Lots of fun. I can say that the stock battery is pretty disappointing... 15 to 20 minutes is all we seem to get. I ordered a LiPo 5000mAh, 50C, 2S already - how long should that last me??

10. Jun 27, 2016 #10

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

Glad you're having fun! Run time is kinda tough to judge because it depends on a few things,(temp., cooling systems, driving style, amount of throttle applied, terrain running on, etc...). I have two traxxas 2s 4000mah 25c packs that I run one at a time and they seem to last a while (15+ min). The thing with nimh and lipo batteries is that lipos have alot better acceleration, throttle punch, and runtime than nimh packs. As soon as you throw it in, you will definitely feel the difference in performance. More punch and accel. immediately. If you drive especially hard the whole pack, you might get ten minutes, but if you learn to learn you truck's throttle, capabilites, and just how your truck performs, you can get 15-20+ minutes out of a pack. But in no way am I saying to be easy on your truck, lol.

11. Jun 27, 2016 #11

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

Well, good bad or indifferent, we went from owning 1 Stampede on Friday to owning 2 Stampedes on Sunday. We were having lots of fun, except for having to give up the controller every 5 minutes so everyone could have their turn. Being the odd man out most of the time I decided that the girls needed their own - thus the Pink Stampede found its way into the mix. I got a 2S 5000 mah lipo for it and I must agree with you, quite a difference in every way. Run time was at least 30-35 minutes, while I crapped out in about 15. My lipo is on the truck now, expect it on Wednesday.

To be honest, we may end up with 3 Stampedes before this is all said and done. My wife is fast becoming addicted as well... Now my daughter has her own and I still have to share with my wife. lol

12. Jun 28, 2016 #12

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

bigbear9599

Wow! The bug bit you guys pretty quick! It's crazy how fun those truck are to play with. I love traxxas trucks personally. They're fun, take a beating, have lots of good quality aftermarket support (because not everything made for them is great in quality, some is junk) , and they are just addictive. it sounds like you guys are having a great old time with them. Other than the battries, have you installed any other upgrades on them? Did you place an order on tower hobbies?

13. Jun 28, 2016 #13

rdscuba

rdscuba

rdscuba

Right out of the box, before even hooking up a battery, I did the wheel bearings, front bumper and wheelie bar. I ordered a LiPo for my truck last week and it should be here today or tomorrow. I bought a LiPo for my daughter at the LHS when I picked up the Stampede.

Last night my daughters spur gear bit the dust so I had to order a few of them. I also got the RPM extended A-Arms and required accessories (minus the front tires for the rear- still dont know for sure there yet). I plan to put them on my daughters first, then I will do mine.