Help: New member saying hi plus a bit of advice please??

Discussion in 'Announcements and Support' started by BigRed407, Oct 12, 2018.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

?

Which truck would you recommend for a newbie?

1. Tamiya Super Clod Buster

80.0%
  2. Axial SMT10

20.0%
  1. Oct 12, 2018 #1

BigRed407

BigRed407

BigRed407

Hi guys.. After years admiring RC monster trucks and indulging in RC on and off for years, I have decided to look in to finally owning one.

Twist in the tale is I live in Central Scotland in the U.K., so Monster Trucks and parts can be a bit thin on the ground. All available via mail order though, but oftenwith heavy import duty :(

So after looking.... I am torn between a Tamiya Super Clod Buster (58518) & an Axial SMT10. Which ever I go for, I will modify and upgrade as I go.

Which of the trucks would you guys advise for a first dip in the water of RCMT's?

Thanks for reading! :)

2. Oct 16, 2018 #2

ad456m

ad456m

ad456m

Hi, I’m a new member here and a fellow Scot albeit a lot north of yourself. I have two clods and love em. Parts availability is another thing tho, for replacement tamiya stuff it’s not bad but for aftermarket your usually relying on eBay, Facebook(I assume as I’m not a user) and the Stateside independent shops like Crawford Performance as you already know. I’m a guy that likes to make things so it’s not a huge deal for me.

For the axial side of things I think parts availability is infinitely better and vast. My impression (from what I’ve read as I don’t own one) the truck needs some hop ups right off the bat to be “there” and the small tyres don’t have that monster look to me but it’s a good truck with potential I’d say. I’ve seen plenty on YouTube doing the racing and freestyle so know they are.

I think I’m probably kinda biased tho as I do love my clod running silver cans with 14.4v. I made a chassis and 4 link mounts and I throw it around pretty hard tho nothing totally daft. In 4 years I’ve never broken any of the tamiya parts. Bent plenty of the bits I’ve made tho, lol. I’ve got a couple of pics on clodtalk(bit more active than over here).

Another truck worth looking at is the kyosho mad force/twin force/foxx. Apparently they are rock solid. Never seen one in person but only ever read good or great things. Bit more expensive but add your possible hop ups to the clod/smt and compare the two and it’ll no likely be too different.

3. Oct 17, 2018 #3

kingatrc09

kingatrc09

kingatrc09

The clod is the most popular truck around. Parts can easily be found. I was going to get on for my collection but due to the Tariff inflation prices I have decided NOT to get one. I have been in this hobby for more than 30 yrs and when the clod first came out it could be bought for $200-250 US. Now the same truck is $420 today. So I will continue to run my old kyosho stuff until I can't get parts anymore. It is a true shame that inflation and tariffs have forced me to change direction. I will never buy a new kit again.

4. Oct 17, 2018 #4

BigRed407

BigRed407

BigRed407

Hi guys and thanks for replying!! Starting to sway towards the Clod. One of those trucks I remeber seeing when I was a boy, but never able to afford!! ad456m - I'd be really interested in seeing what you have rig wise. What user name are you over on clod talk (PM me if you prefer).

5. Oct 17, 2018 #5

ad456m

ad456m

ad456m

It’s a shame that Trump has screwed the rc guys there, sorry to hear it’s gotten that bad. Clod kits are still sitting at £250ish for us in the UK.
    All the aftermarket parts I buy stateside always get hit by customs so I end up 20-30% minimum over the odds so I jus don’t bother buying from the USA anymore. It’s frustrating but that’s life.

@BigRed407, I’m the same name there, it’s a bashing clod thread. A couple of pics in the thread. Be warned it’s no picture of a truck but damn it makes up for it in smiles!!

6. Oct 17, 2018 #6

kingatrc09

kingatrc09

kingatrc09

Now that Horizon is the only supplier; Prices were sure to go up and products disappear. I have to shop else ware to find better prices. I was a long time customer with Tower Hobbies 20 yrs. Not anymore. Ebay is my main source now!

7. Oct 26, 2018 #7

Cowboyclod

Cowboyclod

Cowboyclod

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. Oct 26, 2018 #8

kingatrc09

kingatrc09

kingatrc09

WOW!!! I will look into it for that price!