My Wheely King Monster Jam Style From the Garage of Will G (now smaller)

Discussion in 'HPI RC Monster Truck Forum' started by kjr2, Nov 1, 2011.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. Mar 7, 2012 #121

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

that look is really good Kenny [​IMG]

2. Mar 7, 2012 #122

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

Thanks. The reason I swapped tires is to see how much traction difference there is. My Grinder truck pulls rolling wheelies and lunges harder if you punch it while moving than my Grave Digger and the only real difference is the tires. They have the same motor and battery setup and comparable ESCs. So I'm thinking it's traction because the stock WK tires actually spin a little on pavement and the Traxxas MJ tires don't.

I'm gonna bash em both after work today and see

3. Mar 9, 2012 #123

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

I put a Bounty Hunter on it that I got from Bill. It looks pretty COOL in my opinion
    [​IMG]

Here a few short vids. Same setup as before just different body
    [video=youtube_share;9ahYZdHAnq0]http://youtu.be/9ahYZdHAnq0[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;bXZjMIEqWd4]http://youtu.be/bXZjMIEqWd4[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;EOu9PH-jLpQ]http://youtu.be/EOu9PH-jLpQ[/video]

4. Mar 9, 2012 #124

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

that little bump from the street to the yard is pretty cool for a WK jump

5. Mar 9, 2012 #125

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

yeah it's a lot of fun. it's hard to get it on video and drive but it's a pretty scale jump and my trucks handle it real nice

6. Mar 9, 2012 #126

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

OMG whats my problem is 15t motor too much to ask. I was 5 minutes into a run after work that I was looking for to bashing all day at work and I lose power to the rears wheels. No biggie I said I'll just go in the garage and pop a new driveshaft in I have spares. Hmmmm.... they're both good. What the heck then? Could it be the Savage rear ring/pinion? I tore the alxe down and NO that looks brand new. It's the dang spider gears inside the rear diff.
    [​IMG]

I don't even bash that hard. Just like what you see in my videos. Nothing like the Clod freesytle guys who just beat the snot out of their rigs. The one spider gear you see in the pic broke and seperated and the drive shaft just spins in. Do they make a upgrade for this part? Sh00000T I just placed a Tower order last night I hate making an order for one part :bang

7. Mar 9, 2012 #127

Mo'

Mo'

Mo'

400 Lux

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBTA4&P=7

They hold up alot better than stock. That being said I shattered a set of them into about 8 pieces in my WK at the Worlds last year. Definitely longer lasting than the stockers though and the set I replaced the blown up ones with has held up amazing since then.

Another thing I have noticed in alot of your vids, you are really heavy on the throttle. It makes for some awesome wheelies and stoppies but thats just the kind of damage it can cause as well. There is always going to be something that will fail in the drivetrains in monster trucks. Thats part of the issue with going crazy durable on everything else. Eventually you get to a point where all the strain is funneled to the weakest remaining part and that part cant be upgraded anymore.

8. Mar 9, 2012 #128

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

Yeah that's how I like to drive--hard take offs and nose dive brakes. I need to put savage diffs up front too because I can hear them clicking away when I pull a mean wheelie and slam the brakes to bring the front tires down and stop before I crash into something. Sometimes I get endos in the grass the brakes grab so hard. I think that's how I break front driveshafts and sub axles too...

Thanks for the link those bevel gears are added to my wish list for my next order .

I understand what you mean about chasing the weakest link around the drivetrain. That's why I think im gonna put new hot racing trams gears in because if I get te rc4wd gears they wont strip and something else will. Maybe it will be wheel hexes or bevel gears or who knows what.

9. Mar 10, 2012 #129

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

Hard is a little understated, but if that is what you like than so be it. I think a slipper is really what you should look into.

Go with the RC4WD and put a stock plastic large lower gear in. That'll solve the small upper gears weakness yet allow the one gear some ''give'' The tooth pitches work together just fime

10. May 17, 2012 #130

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

Ok today I dropped in some stronger spider gears into the rear diff they're from the nitro rs4 that Mo listed as well as a new set of hot racing tranny gears and hot racing straight axle rear end. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. May 17, 2012 #131

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

just watch those trans gears, they are hard aluminum and not steel like the rc4wd units.
    Glad to see you have it back together though, fun little rigs

12. May 17, 2012 #132

kjr2

kjr2

kjr2

Old Timer

Yeah I went with the HR gears to save some cash. I think they'll last if I take it easy on the take offs