ASRock h97m Pro4 mobo Micro ATX
Corsair cx500 PSU
Samsung 250gb SSD
Win 10
ASUS optical drive
Thermaltake Urban S1 case (mini tower)

Last edited:

Master_Shake

not a bad budget build. i woulda stuck win 7 on it but each his own.

built a pc about 5 years ago with about the same specs but a i7 2600 has not been been made obsolete yet!(only thing i had to replace in the 5 years is a new gfx card because those f***ers fail every 2-3 years no matter what...)

kjr2

Old Timer
Thanks. I wanted a new machine to replace my ancient Dell Inspiron. I wanted it to play games at 1080p, and cost less than $1k with OS. Keyboard/mouse/monitor kept from previous system. It came it about $900 for the complete tower from New Egg.

I'll post some pics of my "retro" PC that this PC replaced next week. I've had this old dog since about 2008. It came with a Pentium E2180 dual core @ 2.0ghz and 2gb RAM . About a year ago I upgraded it to a Wolfdale E8400 @ 3.0ghz and bumped it to 4gb RAM (both being the max this motherboard will take), while adding a Sapphire branded ATi Radeon 5670. That made a nice improvement in web browsing, YouTube, Netflix, etc. and old games like Doom 3/UT2004/FEAR all play maxxed out. I think I got the additional 2gb RAM, CPU, and GPU for less than $50.

kjr2

Old Timer
lol I feel ya on that one. "Budget" is a relative term I suppose. Compared to the liquid cooled dual radiator SLI rigs that cost $4k or more, it's also a budget build :eek

Last edited:

kjr2

Old Timer
Added
1tb western digital blue hdd
8 more gb ram
cryorig c7 cpu cooler
zalman z9 new case

Last edited:

kjr2

Old Timer
Thanks for the compliment. When the AMD RX 480s came out I was lucky enough to get one on launch, the 8gb ver.

That little card was a beast. I was happy with it. But when the bitcoin crazy went off the deep end about 6 months ago some offered me $390 for it so of course I sold it ( I only paid $220 for it new) and I got a GTX 1070. Here's how it sits now. And yes, it seems a cleaning is in order LOL I also added another 1tb HDD and moved the SSD from the drive cage to inside the case by the mobo

Rapko

Great looking PC Kenny, I need to post mine. I've built quite a few over the years now. I remember talking PC talk on here years and years ago...I was still into consoles at that point. Glad I dropped them and went with pc. I have a custom watercooled PC now with a 1070. Have another 7700k for sale currently that no one seems to want lol.

Orange Pedeanaut

Hamster Power Racing RC
Nice build again Kenny. I think I posted mine in general last year after I built it.

2016-09-20 10.02.56.jpg
2016-09-20 16.37.09.jpg
2016-09-20 20.41.37.jpg

[video=youtube;nQ76V-vgzTQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ76V-vgzTQ[/video]
[video=youtube;xwiz17J0HZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwiz17J0HZA[/video]

Keyboard also changes colors. Everything still works except for the power supply fan which is starting to squeak.

Screenshot 2016-10-18 11.06.26.png

kjr2

Old Timer
Great looking PC Kenny, I need to post mine. I've built quite a few over the years now. I remember talking PC talk on here years and years ago...I was still into consoles at that point. Glad I dropped them and went with pc. I have a custom watercooled PC now with a 1070. Have another 7700k for sale currently that no one seems to want lol.
Thanks Tim. Which 1070 did you get? Mine is the EVGA ACX 3. It stays super cool compared to the RX480 I had. Post a pic of your machine if you have one!

Nice build again Kenny. I think I posted mine in general last year after I built it.

Keyboard also changes colors. Everything still works except for the power supply fan which is starting to squeak.
Looks good. I want to get some RBG fans for mine or maybe just a strip for the inside of the case. My case fans are actually blue, but they look like white LEDs in the pics...

Rapko

Thanks Tim. Which 1070 did you get? Mine is the EVGA ACX 3. It stays super cool compared to the RX480 I had. Post a pic of your machine if you have one!
I bought my 1070 (zotac) on black friday, only reason I bought that one was the price, its as long as a bus ;) Its been so long since I posted pics here I forgot how or else I would. This current pc is my best build to date.

I did add you on steam. I'm more of a single player guy, check my profile, you can see what I play. I don't play as much as I used to. Game has to be really good to keep my attention. I think I'm getting old ;)

Last edited:

kjr2

Old Timer
Ran some benchmarks today. All free software. Unigine Heaven, and Valley, and 3dMark Timespy using the presets.

Temps were cool. This 1070 never goes above 65c no matter what I do. My old rx480 would hit 90c like nothing anytime I played DOOM or COD so I had to set the max target temp to 84c just so I wouldn't worry.

kjr2

Old Timer
I ran at your settings and got 3x. The current 10 series of GPUs saw a massive advance in compute power with basically no increase in price* over previous generations. That is, a mid-tier card is better than last gen top tier card and costs less. 1070 is better than 980ti and cost less, even without adjusting for inflation. *I say basically no increase based on MSRP but the crypto miners had literally bought all the GPUs for sale earlier this year and drove prices to double MSRP in some cases.

kjr2

Old Timer
Wow really clean setup. Literally clean and dust free and clean very tidy wiring etc. Is that a sound card above the GPU?