Mini El Toro Loco

Trigga

Hi Guys n Girls - thought you might be interested in my new little project - 1/16th scale El Toro Loco! What do you think?
[/URL][/IMG]

Trigga

Thanks guys, I'm guessing most of you will recognise the body as a New Bright 1/15 - what you do with these is buy the toy, take the body off and throw the rest in the bin! The truck might be new to some - it's a HBX Road Breaker (16885). I came across these while searching for parts for my larger scale trucks and thought it looked pretty cool - like a scaled down AX10. I ordered one thinking it would be a useful distraction for my kids, taking their attention away from my larger trucks - turned out to be a major distraction for me! What an awesome little truck this is, punching way above it's modest price tag. Here it is in stock form:
[/URL][/IMG]

Trigga

I was so impressed with this truck when It arrived I ordered a 2nd straight away. My initial idea was to simple re spray the stock bodies in Monster Jam style - a Metal Mulisha for my son and a Madusa for my daughter. Then I came across the New Bright bodies and the project went to a new level! The body fits the truck perfectly and I'm currently waiting on the Grave Digger version for the 2nd truck. An added bonus is I can now access the battery through the truck bed!
[/URL][/IMG]

Trigga

Next job was to improve the scale looks of the wheels and tyres. The truck runs on standard 12mm hex's so there's a whole bunch of options for upgrades. I was toying with the idea of using Traxxas 1/16th scale MJ's which are the exact same dimensions as the stock wheels/tyres and would look pretty good but decided on using Tamiya TLT-1's as these have the extra width to give it that scale look. The wheels aren't as scale looking as the MJ's but a bit of paint will sort that out - it's the width that's important I think.
[/URL][/IMG]

Trigga

Further plans include 4 wheel steer, which should be a breeze as the front and rear axle assembly's are identical so there are already mounting points on the rear axle for a servo. The stock electronics will be coming out - it uses a 5 wire servo and combined ESC/Reciever - these work well enough but will swap them out for standard 3 wire servos when adding the rear steer. Plenty of space on the stock chassis to add a separate ESC and receiver although that too might have to go. I'm seriously considering a tube chassis for this little monster!

Trigga

I got them from Gearbest. Took the crazy bull down to the beach today and it was a real crowd pleaser, blasting through the dunes and over the sand jumps we made. Really impressed with this little truck. Hopefully the Digger body will be here next week for the other one!

T_Tank

Looks like they have a unlocked diff care to open it up curious as I'm still having trouble with diffs in my mrc mmt

Trigga

Indeed, fully open diffs front and rear - probably why nothing has broke yet! Will try to get some pics up soon. Praying the Digger arrives soon as I want to see how the TLT-1 wheel and tyres look with that body on - hopefully they will match up the same as with the El Toro Loco body but if not I'm thinking Wild Willy rear wheels and tyres!

Trigga

Thought I should mention to run the TLT-1 wheels I had to use 13mm wheel wideners - these are 13mm long so add about 8mm to the stock wheel width allowing for the offset in the TLT's - you could easily go wider as these wideners mean the inner part of the wheel/tyre sits closer to the chassis than the stock set up - looks better - and still plenty of clearance. No Problems with the tyres rubbing the body at full flex either!

T_Tank

I use 11mm spacers on my mrc mt build so seams like these are similar in axle width. I'm just trying to figure out which crawler these may be a clone of looks almost like a hyrid between a pti goliath/losi mrc/exc temper/venom mini giant!

for those wondering where to get one only saw it on gearbest but man I'm all sorts of curious how big the ring gear is in that. If its the size of the mrc/maxstone 1/16 I can run it in my axles... that is if it has slotted diff gears.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_346447.html?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=Amy&utm_campaign=0912

Looking at the housing picture you can flip the ring gear to

Trigga

Hi T Tank, will try and get it stripped down for some pics tomorrow. It's our kids holidays this week so i'm struggling for time on the trucks at the moment. Just noticed on that link the price has almost doubled. I got both mine from the initial batch that sold for ?43 ( about $60 )! It did say it was heavily discounted from the rrp but then most do and you just tend to think it's a sales pitch making you think you've got a great deal! Seems I might have done in this case!!

Paul4x4

Why, oh why I had to stumble upon this thread... Now I have to get me one of those trucks! :D

Sweet truck, and I really like the TLT tires on it with the NB bodies, great combo!:cool

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Man oh man, that Toro looks awesome!

Last edited: