Mad Dog II

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
So, this is my current build that I started about 4-5 months ago. This time I wanted to make something old school with leaf springs and huge amount of shocks. I wanted something that wasn't so common and Mad Dog II would fit that category. I have seen only one Clod with a Blazer body.

About parts... Chassis halves are from Tamiya Bruiser and I have straightened those to suit my plans. Leafs are from Tamiya Mammoth Dump Truck. They were slightly too short so I needed to reverse rear shackles and I'll need to drill new holes in the front to get the action better. There will be 3 shocks in each corner and they are some cheap Chinese pogos from ebay. Axle cases, transfer case and gear box are 3d printed by myself and I also have designed those pieces. They are based on real and rc stuff. This will be a twin brushed motor MT just for the sake of it.

To summarize:

Body: RC4WD Blazer
Chassis: Tamiya Bruiser
Axles: 3d printed cases, axial inside
Leafs: Tamiya
Shocks: 12x Chinese cheapo
Gearbox: 3d printed case, RC4WD R3 inside
Transfer case: 3d printed, RC4WD Triton inside
Tires: Clod (will get JConcept Firestorms onc they're out)
Wheels: Pro Line Brawlers +17,5 (Also will get the Jconcept Tribute wheels)
Motors: 2x Tamiya torque tuned
ESC: Hobbywing Quicrun 860

Pile of pics








 

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
Thanks, Toyotaman!

I have made some progress with this build. I have now all the shocks on and made a new gearbox support. Shock towers and gearbox support are made of 1,5mm steel plate. Next I'll start fabricating all necessary parts for the wire steering. It's gonna be a bit tricky but I think it will work.


 
Last edited:

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
I have worked with the steering this week and I'm about ready to start testing. I hope it works.






In the rear there's wire system and the front is traditional for now.
 

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
Steering testing done and it was a success.

[video=youtube;kJN99lGquCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJN99lGquCw[/video]

I will change the front to wire system also. I think wires works better in the back than the rod in the front. So rod goes to trash and in comes wires.
 

rocpede4x4

Well-Known Member
Really sweet build and rear steering setup.. How'd you get the chassis straight?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
Any updates? what's the status on the body.....
There's not much to tell about. Been tinkering with the front steering and servo plates. I hope to get them done this week so that I could start mounting the body.

Manfjourde
Can those housings be printed by shapeways or someone? They look awesome.
I am planning on ordering them from Shapeways. Actually I will also get the gearbox and transfercase too. They need some modifications and more details but there will be new axles and other pieces in the end.
 

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
Front is now wired too.



Next, I'll begin to mount the body onto the chassis. I think the body will need some kind of support frame and chassis attachments. Perhaps tube work of some sort...
 

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
Got my Shapeways order the other day.






and it is now all smurfed up!




Fitment was good but had some problems with the transfer case. Somehow bearings wouldn't fit on the other half and as I measured the hole it was about 0,5mm too small. I don't know what caused this but I got it fixed and it is good now. I checked the cad model and it was as it should be. Maybe I should have contacted Shapeways before modifying parts.
 

Tomi_A

Well-Known Member
Had to take two steps back to get going forward again. I ditched the tube frame because I didn't like it at all. So, I made a completely new frame out of aluminum L-profiles.



 
Top