Installing Traxxas Motor Plate To Pede Tranny

D

DEVASTATOR

Here is JAy's topic for the motor plate conversion on a Stampede.

This is the original motor plate conversion I did about 3 years ago for my stampede and is what makes my stampede a ?JAy Pede?.
It is one of the unique motor plate conversions because it uses Traxxas parts right off the shelf.
I got my motor plate from an Eagle to Blue Eagle conversion kit in a trade.

Thanks goes to Naters for finding the part numbers so others can do this conversion. :)

The following are for the original Traxxas Blue motor plates:

#1989 Motor guard, aluminum, rear (Blue Eagle) $6
#1990 Motor plate, aluminum (Blue Eagle) $6

The following are the brownish colored SRT plates:

#2389 Motor guard, aluminum, rear (SRT) $6
#2390 Motor plate, aluminum (SRT) $6

To do this conversion, you will need the following:
--Motor guard and motor plate
--Stampede Transmission
--Drill and bits
--X-acto and a utility knife
--File or Dremel tool
--Extra screws and bolts, misc hardware

Once you have completely disassembled your tranny, use the following steps to install your new aluminum motor plate.

This first pic shows a comparison of the stock motor plate/tranny half on the left, and the modified tranny case on the right.

Use a drill and the utility knife to cut out the old plastic motor mounting area from both tranny halves.
When you are finished, your tranny case should look like the case on the right.
The green circles are where you need to drill the holes through so the screws can go into the motor plate.
The red circle pictured above and in the pic below will be drilled through later using the new motor plate as a template.

Next, you need to trim off a small amount of the right suspension mount shown by the red arrow in the next pic.

Now loosely fit the new aluminum plate against the tranny. If the three holes you drilled aren?t aligned exactly, cut out the notch in the suspension mount a little more. This allows the motor plate to sit properly on the tranny.
Now with your motor plate aligned, find some 3mm screws to go through the tranny case and use the 3 holes you drilled through to mount the plate.

Remember the red circles in the above pictures?? This is where you will need to drill another hole through the tranny case. Use the motor plate to mark the tranny case, then remove the plate and drill the new hole.

Once everything is drilled out, install the motor plate and mounting screws.
Now loosely place the tranny assembly onto the rear skid.

In the above pic, you will need to drill 2 small holes in the rear skid, (as shown by the red circles) again, using the backplate of the new motor mount as a template to mark the holes.
Once the holes in the rear skid are drilled and countersunk, you can mount your tranny.

Next, we have to assemble the slipper clutch.

In the above image is a disassembled slipper clutch.
You will need to find a small spacer circled in blue to put on the slipper shaft first.
This will space out the slipper assembly so that the slipper plate won?t rub in the motor plate.

Notice in the above pic, the slipper plate is properly spaced from the motor plate. If the slipper plate still rubs on the motor plate, you will need to find a slightly thicker spacer.

This is what your assembled motor plate conversion should look like.

Now you have a nice solid motor plate that can take a beating, you can use most aftermarket heatsinks with it and your motor won?t slip if properly tightened.

The RPM gear covers and the stock gear covers fit perfectly with this conversion.

I hope this helps!! :)

JAy