eBay Axles

Bullibuoy

I'm starting a shafty mt project with Ground Pounder Chassis , I'd like to use axial type Axles. Has anyone tried these ones from China ? I've read the Xtra Speed
ones from RCmart are bad but not sure about these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting a shafty mt project with Ground Pounder Chassis , I'd like to use axial type Axles. Has anyone tried these ones from China ? I've read the Xtra Speed
ones from RCmart are bad but not sure about these.

Those particular ones are plastic.

If you are able... I would invest good money in a nice set of axles. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Master_Shake

they may say alloy but probably a low grade pot metal that will snap easy, id save up and get a nice set of Vanquish ar60's or something along that line

Rcupp

They are for the SCX10, they are too narrow...
You want Wraith/Yeti width AR60 axles.
I run SSD axles on 2 trucks and have yet to find any issues with them at all, super tough.

Bullibuoy

Thank you that is really good info I didn't know they were narrower ! I've been trying to figure out the difference for a week. I looked at the SSD ones before but don't really love that diamond look. Maybe Vanquish. Are there other good brands of wraith ones ? And how come I see Centre'd rear axles but no centered fronts ? Wouldn't it twist less that way ?

Rcupp

I run the SSD yeti wide rear housing as it does away with all of the offset wheel adapters and separate lockouts, it runs uninterrupted clear out to the center of the wheel and I believe it is stronger and the shafts last longer. Also it uses larger pinion bearings than stock.
It's pure choice, I prefer SSD over vanquish as they are a simple design, less parts to them and they are quite a bit cheaper but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Heck the stock housing would work just fine.

Bullibuoy

I picked up the complete axial wraith front axle today from my local hobby shop. Figure I should play around with plastic first. Would a match for the rear be off a rr10 bomber like this ? Your yeti set up is wider even than this ?

william g

Retired
yeti, bomber, and wraith all are the same housings.
Axial currently only makes 2 axles, the scx10 ll and the ar60

Rcupp

That's a pretty good price on that! I believe the RR comes with the good hardened gearset too.
Yes the SSD aluminum Yeti housing is wider than this, the stock yeti rear uses a high offset wheel hub to match the width to the front, the SSD one is wide enough to eliminate the big offset hub so you can run a skinny narrow hub instead. With that housing I have to run a standard offset clod wheel but the load point of the wheel end is right at the outer bearing so there is alot less leverage trying to bend on the axle shaft. You can get by with using the 17.5 offset Proline wheel or the Jconcepts wheel with the deep hub.
Now my front axle I have to run the offset hub as it is a standard Wraith width, and it works great.
Rich that does the RCNetwork vids on youtube has a good video on it being used on his Yeti project several months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nb9xCNox2I

You did good on that stocker axle, it will give you a great starting point in your build! Are you going to put diff gears in it? Use HPI #86014 from Crawford they are only $8 and you get enough to do both ends. You will have to shorten the axle ends to give clearance for the diff cross pin http://crawfordperformanceengineering.com/product_info.php?cPath=142&products_id=667

If you want to put diff oil in them don't forget the shaft orings or it will all leak out and make a great mess(not that I would know or anything)

Sorry for the rambling, I'm bored at work tonight!!

I picked up the complete axial wraith front axle today from my local hobby shop. Figure I should play around with plastic first. Would a match for the rear be off a rr10 bomber like this ? Your yeti set up is wider even than this ?

Bullibuoy

That is great info. Why should I do diff gears are the stock ones weak ? What I'm trying to figure out now is what adapters I need to go to clod wheel. I have stock clod wheels and brawler wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rcupp

Your axle should have 12mm hexes on them, you'll have to cut the radius off of them to make them seat flat into the hex on the wheel. You will need an adapter of some sort unless you have the offset brawlers then they will bolt right on. Honestly if it was me I'd get the offset brawlers and use them, they are a little stronger than the stockers and you won't need all of the other adapters and whatnot.
If you want the stock wheels then those 3d printed adapters will work fine.

The axles stock more than likely will probably have a locker in them, but I think some Yeti versions do, it will be a toss up.

What tires are you going to use? That will determine the wheels you need as well as far as the tire bead fitment and widths without having to modify them to make them work with each other.

It will be easier when you get the parts in front of you and you start to visualize how and what you want to build...

Rcupp

I just found them...If you want to do diff gears with heavy oil.
Axial #1162 is the number for the 5mm x 1mm orange axle shaft orings that go in the diff cup to seal the inside of the diff and squirt some 100k oil in both front and rear diffs.