Custom aluminum solid axle monster truck using off the shelf parts

nosyajg

I may have missed it, but I haven't heard of too many horror stories with clod buster transmissions going brushless. Maybe I'll dig out my old clod buster gear boxes and see how they compare. Any thoughts?
stock clod gear boxes can handle the brushless power...the axle tubes and knuckles will be at the mercy of the landings though...

as for your situation, the large tires, locked diffs as well as the 48pitch gears will lead to breakage...the 32p gears in the stock clod gearbox take much more abuse...maybe you could lengthen the life of the pinions if you dont land on power...once the truck is airborn, try to let off on the power before it lands...that may help out...

good luck...

RCBuilder

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I previously tried the RC4WD bully pinions. I only broke the front pinion (lost ~2/3 of the teeth) with the set that came with the axles. The second set were 14t and this is what they looked like after a few runs (again only the front was damaged, but with mangled not broken teeth)

I have no idea how these compare in hardness to the RRP pinions, but they have the most contact surface area that I'm aware of - which should lessen the strain.

After the first pinion broke I did make every effort to lessen any driving strain on the truck - gradual stops as opposed to nose stands, no throttle landings (as suggested), etc.

I even changed the settings on the ESCs - making sure there was no drag brake set and using 30%/50% braking front/rear. Admittedly I changed too many variables at once with my last run (pinions 14t -> 16t & brake adjustment & different location) to know for sure, but I think the additional braking strain may have been the cause of my first rear pinion brake.

The funny thing is the main output gear (locked diff) seems to be 32p and the gears switch to 48p before engaging the motor, as shown here:

https://store.rc4wd.com/Lightweight-Gear-set-for-Super-XLD-and-22-Bully-axles_p_1053.html

Rotating mass inside the gear box could also play a part and the gears linked above could help. I just can't bring myself to drop $120 on a 'what if'. If they were all 32p and light weight it might be worth a try.

RCBuilder

I did dig up my old clod buster axles and took them off a ClodZilla III chassis. I even found the original box and a receipt from '99.

Here's one axle using a few Level 3 RC axle mounts quickly attached to the chassis for comparison:

Heathen

I did dig up my old clod buster axles and took them off a ClodZilla III chassis. I even found the original box and a receipt from '99.

Here's one axle using a few Level 3 RC axle mounts quickly attached to the chassis for comparison:

Any updates on these axles? How do they stand up?

RCBuilder

Once I switched to the clod axles I never looked back. If RC4WD ever made a 32p gear set for them I'd give it another go. I also never tried brushed motors with these axles. They chewed through too many pinions - even robinson racing hardened pinions - to be a viable option for me. It's a shame really because otherwise I liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Element

Glad I ran across this thread, I was planning on doing a very similar build.
I'm still kind of set on these axles though, do you think there would be any difference in the pinion chewing by gearing way down?
I'm looking to build a runner more so than a jumping basher so I may just take the plunge.

RCBuilder

I'm still kind of set on these axles though, do you think there would be any difference in the pinion chewing by gearing way down?
To be honest, I'm not sure gearing down would necessarily save the pinions. Since these axles are designed for super-class crawlers, you may be better off with higher turn brushed motors - if you intend to go that slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk