Chassis Project-Update(7/20/13)

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
I'm really liking the look of these. I have finally made the decision to ditch the GP. I was thinking if using the GP chassis plates with some clod axles, but I'm thinking this could be the way to go. How does the battery hold in place and what is the cutout size for the battery?
The cutout size fits a 2S battery. I hold it in place with Velcro straps. I'll post some pics tonight.

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Looks amazing!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the next KK-1 build.

Sent From My 2500 HD Tapatalk 2
Thanks! I'm still formulating my plans because I want to do some different things with this next one.

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
For those asking about battery size. I use a 2S Lipo battery, which is 25mm x 47mm. I use velcro straps to keep the battery secure.

Last edited:

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
I was going to take out the USA-1 to run some tires with some new foams I made, but I noticed one of the wheels wobbling badly. I first thought my foams made the tire out of balance, but when I removed the tires I found the front axle still wobbling. Looks like I have a bent inner axle.

[video=youtube_share;QcwvpToGkmE]http://youtu.be/QcwvpToGkmE[/video]

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Well, since I have some time off from the KK-2 while I wait for parts to arrive I decided to tear into the original KK-1 and see what's up with the axle.

I knew I had a bent inner axle, but I just wasn't too sure where exactly.

Let me tell you, this sucker was tough to get apart. Bent her real good!

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
It's been a while...

I spent my free time yesterday giving some TLC to my original KK1.

Last time I took her out, I blew up the rear gears, blew up another OFNA servo saver, and bent up some fasteners.

All three of these little guys lost a tooth, and the big gear they sit in was warped pretty bad.

Out with the old.......

And in with the new.....

I got here back together, all freshened up.
I took out the brushless powerplants, and put back in an EVX2 and brushed Speedgems. I am going to use the brushless systems for the KK2s.

northerngames

looks good I like it.

yeah them ol clod axles just dont have the durability to stand up to todays brushless power systems anymore that and you need two of everything is why I have no interest in making clod axled builds anymore.

after getting ahold of the mad force axles and seeing them in person next to other axles there just way way more stout all around and hard to beat for the money.

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Thanks!

For the most part, Clod axles aren't too bad. These are the first gears I've blown up....mostly my fault. During my last bash session, I didn't let off the throttle while jumping. That's usually a recipe for destruction. Which in this case it was.

I really wanted to run her today, but I had a medical procedure today where I was put under and it took me all day to recover.

So hopefully next weekend.

northerngames

well that stinks hopefully you feel better man.

I have been getting bad headache's for about a week straight now and about ready to go in myself thinking something is wrong anymore.

I am still on thinners from my last october accident and not sure if that is starting to take a tole on me now or what.

clod axles are not bad at all but they do have their limits when it comes to brushless mainly becuase they lack a slipper and all plastic gearing but they are still one of the better setups all around.

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
A little news

So it's been a long while since I last posted to this thread. I've been using the heck out of the KK1 and my last outing several months back resulted in some seriously mangled gears!

I run the Clod axles without the Tamiya, metal braces and I realized that the hardcore jumps I was taking were flexing the cases allowing the gears to move out of position.

I spent the yesterday putting in some new gears, dusting off the dirt, installing new wheels and tires, re-polishing the 4-links, and changing out some hardware. I'm gonna take her out for a spin today.

Last edited:

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Trying something different

While I am at it, I am also going to try limiting the rear steering a bit. I tried something similar, I think about a year ago, but the limiters I used were way to small and the location allowed them to have a good amount of torque applied to them from the knuckle. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

This setup uses the screws used to assemble the axle tube. The are way beefier than my first attempt. I hope these work.

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Ouch!

I took the old lady out for a spin and drove her to the ground. My 20 year old Speed Gems decided to finally tank!

Notice the bulging of the endbell.

Here's what the inside looks like. The comm is toast!

SWMS

Supporting Manufacturer
RCMT Sponsor
Thanks! I appreciate it.

I am still here. The social media sites have really taken my time up, but I have a goal this year to transition back to here.