Budhatrain's Boyer Chassis Bigfoot

Budhatrain

Well, I am foaming at the mouth for this project. I have been wanting to do one of these builds since I looked over a couple from turnmeover. In the beginning of summer I made the decision to start a scale monster truck build. I wasn't going to post anything until I actually had the chassis in hand but I just can't wait- I have to share this process- to me this is what really makes the hobby enjoyable.

First, I tried making contact with Mr. Boyer. He is extremely busy with projects- but responded to me and communicates very well- dependable. Due to his schedule we are not able to start the project until Mid-August almost here! Next I had to decide what to use for transmission and axles.

I found the axles first: I found these and purchased them with some other stuff I was able to sell off or trade. I like it when you can do that- makes you feel like you are getting a deal and saving money, we all know with this hobby "saving" and money hardly go together. They have TTR CVD's and Straight Axles installed. Along with some aluminum steering arms- the rear ones have been shaved to work/look like lockouts. I am a little worried that you can't readily pick up parts for the TXT axles. But worst case senerio I can always switch back to clod axles (Boyer said that he designs his chassis this way with the mounts and all)

As for the transmission, I am going to use a Mad Force transmission- all bought from amainhobbies. It's really simple and to the point. I love the chain action and leaves plenty of space to mount all the electronics. Plus it's different than what most people do here.

Next was the body. I really like to do things unique and fun. But I hadn't been settling over anything. I had picked up a HPI 79 ford supercab body for my Mad Force but one night while looking at Bigfoot pictures I could not resist... I wanted a big foot and I couldn't think of anything else. Don't know why and I know it's not even original but it looks "Bad to the Bone" if you ask me. Plenty of room and windows for lots of tube work. John says he is excited to do something for this supercab. Wheelbase will be close to 15inches. Paint done by Kris from Darkside Designs

In the meantime I accidentally purchased a set of rc4wd aluminum beadlocs when I purchased a set of Rumble tires for the build. It's a long story but I really did accidentally picked up the set of wheels. I wanted the delrin version to save on weight but I wasn't even close to being ready to buy any wheels- but somehow I did and I have a set. Mhesse did me up a set of aluminum 14mm hexes so that the CVD's/Straight axles and rc4wd wheels all work together. They are impressive and look stellar- I am going to have to pick up a set of wheels and tires that weigh less when racing though.

So that's where I am at... sending the body and trans to Mr. Boyer next week. Still need to pick up a power plant for this beast - sway bars- shocks etc...

Was able to score a team3six dash kit (I had no idea they had this stuff out there) and a great looking hemi motor...

So here's to the start of a great build- Lord Willing?!

Last edited:

Mo'

400 Lux
That body is amazing. I have been waiting to see someone paint one up like that ever since they came out. Cant wait to see the chassis under it! Your builds are all so clean and well thought out.

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper
awesome ! cant wait for this to get going ! and +1 on the body :tmb

the RC4WD wheels will look killer on there

Budhatrain

So I am trying to make movement on this project. Mr. Boyer has had my project for around 3 weeks now- I am not sure of the progress, but I am definitely waiting patiently. I don't want to rush an artist!

Today I put the rumble wheels and rc4wd aluminum beadlocks together- Mhesse machined some 14mm hexes to fit the CVD's and Straight axles. The axles look boss for sure.

The wheel and tire combo is really heavy! Outside of light bashing, I will have to be careful. So, for everyday bashing, recently I picked up a stock set of tires on txt rims- and I always wanted to do the tire shaving thing. WOW is all I can say- it took me a little over an hour for just 1 tire (good thing this is a hobby right). I didn't mind the time, to tell you the truth, mindless activity on a day off is always fun.

However, I think I may have cut off a couple years of my life by not wearing anytype of mask for the very fine rubber produced by my dremel on just 8 lugs. So. I went inside and found a bandanna (Hi O Silver, Away) to finish the project. This is a lot of work- cutting most of the material off with body trim scissors did cut down the dremel time.

But it's a big reward in my book. I paid $35 for the stock wheels and tires (4). Where a set of Rumble tires run around $70. There is a HUGE improvement in bite over the stock tires. Overall I am pleased with the outcome- it's the little details that will make this build special. Now only three more tires to go! Uggg

MiRatlhed

RCMTC-MI
I will be keeping my eyes peeled to this build thread. What a good choice to have Mr. Boyer do your chassis. Mine took a while but it was soooo worth it, you will not be disappointed. Just like Mo said you do your homework and that is what I like. I do a lot of that myself before building something.

Wheels and tires look great, I like the rumbles with the Beadlocks....

Budhatrain

thanks Joe... you helped me out in the beginning and I appreciate the direction into this side of the rc hobby! I don't know if I said this yet here but I did receive communication back from John (he always responds by the way- which is great)- said that he has started the build and really thinks it's an awesome project. That make me feel good to say the least. We are going with some solid rod and slightly thicker diameter on the tube than what he usually does.

with this size lid I feel the truck needs to be a little more stout- overall the truck will weigh a lot. Especially with those aluminum beadlocks- it's ok I have a brushless motor sitting in a mad force I want to swap over- a little 4s should move it along just fine.

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper
looking great so far .... and i agree on the tire shaving a ton of work but the results are worth it :)

IMO i would round the edges of the rumbles there just a little to squared for me , but i had those wheels and even bashing gently i managed to snap a few half shafts with my TXT :mad

Z2_CANTILEVER

So I am trying to make movement on this project. Mr. Boyer has had my project for around 3 weeks now- I am not sure of the progress, but I am definitely waiting patiently. I don't want to rush an artist!
Yeah, try waiting over a year. I made initial contact with him JULY 29, 2010 to build a Eradicator MT and we are just NOW in the final stages....worth the wait though.

Budhatrain

I have enjoyed talking back and forth with John Boyer. I am really surprised to tell you the truth. Within the last year I have dealt with more and more "vendor" types, mostly painters. And when it comes to email, sometimes there is a gap or lag in response. Usually has to do with, "I'm not done with your project, leave me alone til I finish it up, your not the only thing going on in my life right now." And I get it, I really do, no one is making a killing doing this stuff, most of the time it's done above every other commitment that one faces. So I get it, and I hope I don't ever come across as nagging.

With Boyer, he has always responded and always says to contact him if you have any questions or concerns. I don't take him as a big email guy- typically I receive emails from him late Sunday nights though. But I always get a response. Seems like he is down to earth and enjoys what he does for the hobby. Did anyone else catch that writeup in RCcaraction with Readers Rides? Cool humble beginnings and I have a sneaky suspicion that members here know him from back in the day.

Concerning the emails, here's a couple I have received recently:

1.) I have started your chassis...although its similar in design to the Bigfoot 14 chassis its still a new chassis design since its larger in size to fit the body...Its going to be a awesome project! Dont hesitate to e-mail me with any questions or to just check in

2.) Its coming along great...I did have a question...Did you want me to leave the bed panel intact on the body? The way the frame is designed it requires to cut some of the back window and bed area for the tubework...I can work around it but it would require some changes to the design...lmk on that...

3.).I'm hoping to finish it within the next two weeks..plus powdercoating time...He usually has it done in three or four days time...
The transmission is a little wide (but will work great) so the chassis will be slightly wider midsection and narrow down at each end so the shocks don't tilt outwards...I had to do the same with the Hushpower truck because the old E-Maxx trannies are wide too...
I don't think we will need to cut the body..I changed the design slightly to allow the body to fit on without trimming (unless you want the rear down-tubes through the body) Talk to you soon..

4.)Made some good progress on your chassis this past weekend...This build is going to be wicked! Talk to you soon.....

I am continually excited, I really am. I feel that this project is truly custom, that he's into it as much as I am, and that this is going to be worth everything we put into it!

The rear window thing- I like the way the tubes shoot out the rear window through the bed- but I didn't know how that was going to effect the "already painted" bf body. I am glad that he came up with something else- ultimately I left that decision in his court.

I think I have mentioned this but I wanted to use a twin force tranny (actually stole it from my new made force kruiser VE). So being able to make it work in the design is huge. Because this is a Ford Supercab with longer than usual wheelbase we decided to beef up the chassis- it will be using slightly thicker rod and tube instead of the typically stuff he usually uses for builds. I know it's gonna be heavy- but that's kinda the idea.

WOW oh wow- can't wait! Hopefully something soon.

MiRatlhed

RCMTC-MI
Couldn't have said it better myself Mike. Mr. Boyer always was very informative with his communications and I always got a response to my questions and concerns. When he was doing my chassis he would see structural changes that could be made to make the newest design even better. That is one thing I don't get with some vendors when you ask a question you either get blown completely off or the question is dodged with fluff, why can't they just tell you how it is.

The truck is going to be soooo sweet!

Sounds like Xmas in the RC Dept. is right around the corner for ya! How exciting, I am happy for you.

:)

Budhatrain

Just received this from Boyer:

"We're getting close now.. your chassis is currently at the powdercoaters and should be done by midweek... I will have it ready to shop on Saturday... this chassis is super wicked!!! It really turned out great... I made some all new design lower link/shock mounts for on the axles and a custom servo mount to work with them.. shock mounting is adjustable..."

I replied:

"gooo, I wat... yes.... knaht..... great.... givingthanks... food... trucks--
awsome..."

So yeah... I am jumping up and down!

Budhatrain

Well it's going to be on it's way here Monday- just in time for Thanksgiving break. Here are some teaser pics, ENJOY!!!

Budhatrain

I didn't want to post more pics until I actually had this beast in my hand... and it's finally here! What's really cool is I had a great exhausting day at work and I am ready for 3 days off and this will be something I can enjoy during that time. Here is some more pics to highlight the artistry of John Boyer- great guy! Having this mF tranny as the heart of this monster is awesome!

The Money Shot

tricked out clod

Looks great. You can definitely be proud of it. I'm curious to hear how the Integy shocks work for you once you get some runtime on it.