Brushless clod advice

Discussion in 'Tamiya RC Monster Truck Forum' started by InitialVic, May 15, 2010.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. Mar 6, 2011 #101

joe

joe

joe

ɹoʇɐɹʇsıuıɯpɐ Site Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

new issue is pinion mesh...
    looks like i cant get enough adjustment on my motor mounts due to my upper link setup.
    :bang
    [​IMG]

so i think im gonna step down to 13t pinions and skip the adj mounts.
    that will fix both issues and im sure itll still be too fast for me to drive!
    :willy

2. Mar 6, 2011 #102

nosyajg

nosyajg

nosyajg

pinion mesh not really an issue for me on the clod in the vids because i run the JPS gear cases, which has the adjustable motor mount built in...

in my other clod (stock plastic gear cases), i just ran the pinion at 1/2 the width...didnt make a difference...kinda a throwback to my touring car days to get less friction when racing...lol...

you can try to run the 15t pinions with your setup now...dont need the adjustable motor mounts, just remove the brass sleeves from the cases and the 15t should mesh up just right...that way you can keep the upper link mounts...

honestly, i've never tried this myself, just heard of it...but since you already have the pinions, it's worth a shot...

3. Mar 7, 2011 #103

joe

joe

joe

^
    nice idea!
    im definitely not gonna change the upper mounts.
    DEVASTATOR made those, and theyre awesome.
    ill give the "no brass tubes" a shot. (hopefully the motor wont hit the upper mounts)
    thanks.
    :tmb

4. Mar 7, 2011 #104

nosyajg

nosyajg

nosyajg

let us know how it works out...

5. Mar 9, 2011 #105

joe

joe

joe

not gonna work with my upper link mounts.
    :bang
    looks like im gonna drop to 13's.

6. Mar 10, 2011 #106

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Moderator Moderator

I started this on another thread and thought I would finish it here

my cms4600kv motors are plenty fast at 13tpinion... with the castle link you do have adjustment to advance the timing. Default castle settings put you at 10 and from there you can go to 15 or 20 on the timing. I bounced back to 0 and it was slow for brushless. I called castle just to make sure you are allowed to advance the timing in brushless even though one is reversed- they said with brushless the reversed one doesn't even know it's reversed so advancing the timing is ok- unlike with brushed motors.

So I picked up 2 sct 3800kv units from castle- basically new 2.0v sidewinders with their new torquey 4pole motors ($89ea). they boast more power and more torque than their predicesors, the cms series. Well my 3800 were noticeably slower than the 4600 but I think this can be adjusted fine with higher pinions. This weekend I am gonna try 17t and see where that lands me. I am not afraid of heat (even though I am gonna keep an eye out) but I do trust these have more torque. Actually I am picking up 15t, 17t and 19t just to experiment. I also advanced the timing to 15 on castle link, where my 4600 sidewinders are at 10, and I did move a little closer to same speed.

Ohh important note: I am cogging with the new units too- same battery that I use with the old sidewinders 4600 (no such problem with these, 35C 5000mah 2s lipos from protek). however I am using a better grade hi torque servo from savox that might be the issue so I am gonna try a eternal cc bec... if that doesn't fix it I am gonna pick up some 65C discharge rate lipos because I can :p

Having said all that looks like even though I saved a little money by going with the sct 3800kv setups I am spending right around the same amount as regular sidewinders with 4600 or 5700. Adjustable motor mounts, new pinions, external BEC... yup right back there. However, they did just change the sidewinder units and dropped the price who knows if people will have similar problems with the new units.

7. Mar 12, 2011 #107

weeman

weeman

weeman

2x 8.4 7 cell

well ihave 2 trinty 12t motors on a traxxasand it is amazonin what it dose plus i run 16.8 volt

8. Mar 14, 2011 #108

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Moderator Moderator

just an update on the castle SCT 3800's. I still experiencing bad cogging issue's and did everything I could think of to eliminate the problem. I tried out a higher quality higher dicharge rate lipo (which the ones I normally use are fine), I unplugged one red wire, switched out steering servos, switched out receivers, instead of investing in an external cc bec I hooked up a battery pack to the aux port and unplugged both red wires- NOTHING oh and I made sure I tried things before and after the castle link beta software update.

Cogging stinks too when you need it to just move off the line when you want it to. I thought just a little wouldn't hurt and that's not the case. I have dual sidewinders 4600kv and it doesn't cog and I liked them very much.

Once again gearing the motors is pretty good and will help catch these 4pole 3800's to the 4600's easy peezy.

So I will be calling castle tomorrow and see where we can go from there- glad I have tried everything for troubleshooting purposes.

9. Mar 14, 2011 #109

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Moderator Moderator

Ok work seemingly all day with Castle to figure this out. they had me try everything from switching y-harnesses to mixing channels etc... you need two (2) 2s lipos to run the truck and not get a stutter off the line with full throttle. One 2s lipo for each esc...

These sct 3800kv 4 pole motors just have gobs of torque and when you stab a dual brushless setup there's not enough with just a single lipo.

I plugged in a lipo to each esc and you are running money. literally. so yeah that's my fix at this point- which for the predator chassis is cool beans. If I run regular cms motors no problem- them might even be no big deal with the 1406 slightly smaller 4pole cans

10. Mar 14, 2011 #110

joe

joe

joe

no kidding? so the new motors really pull that much.
    guess im glad i stuck with the sv2 systems and 4600s!
    but i bet your clod is a beast now!
    :burn

11. Mar 14, 2011 #111

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Moderator Moderator

its not... maybe torque wise and I do have some mudslingers I want to try on it this summer but for what I did this past weekend on carpet- I wish I had the cms4600's

who knows I might trade with someone down the road... or I will just keep an eye out for a couple of 4600's

12. Mar 18, 2011 #112

joe

joe

joe

im not really sure what to expect from mine speed wise, yet.
    i finally got all my necessary parts... pinions, escs, and program card.
    hopefully soon ill be able to get a test run in and see what the 4600s do with 13t pinions.

13. Apr 12, 2011 #113

Logitecdogdog

Logitecdogdog

Logitecdogdog

Stock Clod Gears

I have a super clod stock and I Have Been looking at the castle creations sidewinder with 4600 motor.
    Will this setup destroy the gears or driveline
    and does this motor fit straight on the stock gearbox

14. Apr 12, 2011 #114

joe

joe

joe

it shouldnt destroy the gears, and yes, it fits right on.
    :tmb

ive seen quite a few guys with this setup and even some going with the 5700kv and 7700kv!
    i still havent had a chance to run mine with the 4600s, but im sure ill be happy.

15. May 18, 2011 #115

CodeXE

CodeXE

CodeXE

I run Castle SCT 3800's in my clod. I run ball diffs front and rear. Is it necessary to tighten them to the extreme? Or will normal tension suffice?
    Seems to be doing fine. I just don't want to overheat it and damage it.

16. May 18, 2011 #116

Ball Racing

Ball Racing

Ball Racing

Do you hear them balking bad when you launch?
    If it is running about like it did at Hippies with your brushed motors, I would say your okay, but I would need to watch it, listen to it..

Daniel

17. May 21, 2011 #117

CodeXE

CodeXE

CodeXE

It sounds like it blows the tires away. You can tell it slips in the rear, it hooks really well. I'm just scared I guess.
    John at HPI let me run a 3s, that's when it really started to get nasty.
    I also got a steal on a Spektrum, brought so much more capability to the truck. Like driving a stadium truck.

18. May 24, 2011 #118

joe

joe

joe

ive been thinking about the rear diff on my clod...
    i have a cpe locker and im wondering if thats gonna be an issue with the brushless.
    any advice; open or locked?

19. Jul 31, 2011 #119

joe

joe

joe

20. Aug 25, 2011 #120

Logitecdogdog

Logitecdogdog

Logitecdogdog