Boyer 1/8 Scale Custom Build

Discussion in 'Tube RC Monster Trucks' started by soulja55, Oct 4, 2014.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. Dec 2, 2014 #41

DarkSammy

DarkSammy

DarkSammy

I am so in awe of this build man, definitely on point. I love the 1/8th scale with the Digger axles, they fit this truck perfectly. So well I am thinking of getting a pair for myself. $180 a piece is steep, but we only live once haha. I do have a couple questions for you tho, can you run any 1/8 diff in the axles? Also what were your thoughts on the quality of the Kershaw centre diff?

2. Dec 2, 2014 #42

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

The axles cases are thick aluminum....no worries. When I opened the cases I saw that the digs were narrower than savage diffs.....so you can't use the savage dies but the spider gears go inside it with no problems. You have to stick with their diffs. The Kershaw trans looks to be straight bulletproof.....I don't think a gear is going to EVER break on that thing. The case is machined aluminum. If their would ever be angiogenesis with the trans I think you would break the cases if you could before you could ever damage the gears. It is VERY STURDY to say the least....

3. Dec 3, 2014 #43

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

here are some before and after pictures of the frame with the emaxx trans and one with the savage trans. the new mount and tranny lower quite a bit......so now i can get a better cab design. i was kinda worried that i wouldn't get a good cockpit in it because of the height.....and now will be able to get some of those scale details in.

With Emaxx trans
    [​IMG]

with savage trans
    [​IMG]

much better i think. i was sanding back looking at the truck and i noticed that the shocks didn't sit right. they just looked to straight up and down for me. i went to a few pic i had of monster truck i had seen in person like GD Legend, Grave Digger, etc......and their shocks have a slight angle to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so i looked at the shock mounts and decided to bolt the to the inside of the frame instead of the outside. That gave me the look and the angle that i wanted. more scale i think....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I contacted Mike Hesse about some sway bars on facebook......and he needed the measurements.....so i took pictures and some measurements....and he cut them PERFECT. i did have to cut a little piece off the bushing to make it fit the way i wanted.......if i had left them on they would have interfered with the shocks.

i just cut the bushings flat
    [​IMG]

and mounted them up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i just have to make the sway links for them and i'm done.

I bought a couple of bodies that i bought for my Slash and i just took a liking to Parma's Fifty Five body. To me it suits this truck just perfect. the length width and height of the body just suits this truck perfect. what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Dec 4, 2014 #44

DarkSammy

DarkSammy

DarkSammy

Yeah that body looks spot on. Have you found any ford truck bodies that fit the chassis well? If I ever get lucky enough I would love to do a bigfoot replica 1/8 build like this one some time in the future...

5. Dec 4, 2014 #45

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

I have the Parma 04 Ford F150 body that this chassis was actually build around. That's the only one with the length.....but every eighth scale build I've seen runs that body. I just wanted something different. I have that body for sale in the for sale forum if you want it.

6. Dec 4, 2014 #46

th67ss

th67ss

th67ss

Do the 55, that thing looks great on there!!

7. Dec 5, 2014 #47

DarkSammy

DarkSammy

DarkSammy

Gotta get a boyer tuber before I can start thinking of the body. Fingers crossed that one day it can come to fruition...

8. Dec 29, 2014 #48

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

sorry that i haven't updated this thread in a while. now that i have a week off....i have been working hard on all my projects.....three clods, a savage, a slash , and this beast right here.

I didn't like the way that the front shock mount sat......after looking at it really well i noticed that their was not gonna be any room for any kind of battery whatsoever. looking at Bari's and Dan's trucks on facebook i noticed both of those trucks were using the Hpi avage shocks. a quick look at the front shock tower and i believe i could run the same........ so a quick holla at Bari and he had me going in the right direction. I ordered a set of shocks off ebay......i got them for $85 shipped while every place else i checked was $125 before the shipping was even added. After the shocks were modified for internal springs i took noticed with the added length of the savage shocks the shock mount would have to be moved all the way up.......and by doing this it would allow for enough room to run a really nice sized battery.
    here is the mount before it was moved
    [​IMG]

and here is the mount moved all the way to the top position
    [​IMG]

the shocks bolted right on and i used the same spacers that were on the wheely king shocks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a while back i made a little firewall out of the RC4wd scale diamond plate.......i think it looked rather neat in there. i can't seem to remember if the monster trucks still run the firewall like that....but anyways it's no big loss. i have to check some of my photos and see
    [​IMG]

i also have the rear tank/esc mount ready.... just have to put that on. here a look of the truck from the side with the shocks on.
    [​IMG]

9. Dec 30, 2014 #49

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

today i made some sway bar links. I took 4 40 rod and some Traxxas end links.....measured them to the length i needed ....cut them.....and had some tubing to cut over them to make a more clean look. They came out very well.
    [​IMG]

after i made the links i bolted them on the Hesse sway bars using 3mm screws. they worked really well.....but at suspension compression the heads of the scres would make contact with the shocks. i lightly ground down the head of screw to avoid the contact....and it worked fine. before i ground the head i tried reversing the sways.....but then the screw completely came in contact with the frame.....so i had to put them back on the first way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i then bolted up the fuel tank and esc mount. no problems there. i used rc4wd's scale diamond plate and a piece of aluminum i polished for the esc/ radiator mount. hooked up the wires......and i'm all smiles!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i too the CPE fuel tank and batteries and wanted to do a mock up of where i want it to sit....but i think that i'm going to move he tank over and place the battires side by side....i have't realy decided yet.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sep 25, 2015 #50

Dirtychevy45

Dirtychevy45

Dirtychevy45

there been any updates to this thing?? killer build. more i'm looking i think mines going to be more 1/8 scale with those axles than anything....

11. Sep 25, 2015 #51

jdmerrill1240

jdmerrill1240

jdmerrill1240

I believe he sold this truck a while back in the BST section

12. Sep 25, 2015 #52

Dirtychevy45

Dirtychevy45

Dirtychevy45

shewwww, when i get this much into mine ill never sell it lol. thanks for the response was curious of any updated pics of of it running.