Boyer 1/8 Scale Custom Build

Discussion in 'Tube RC Monster Trucks' started by soulja55, Oct 4, 2014.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2014 #1

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

In the quest of trying to do something totally different.....we as guys find ourselves trying to build that truck no one has......that one that everyone looks at, our favorite monster truck icon, or simply just that thing that everyone knows is yours. Well.....I am actually no different. Almost two years ago i sought out to make that truck and now it is just starting to come to reality!!!

Here are the new parts that i have so far:

Boyer made 1/8 scale chassis that uses XTM X factor Axles and an Emax 3906 trans. The trans will still be shiftable....thats the main reason i wanted to use it
    Mamba Monster 2 setup with 2200KV 1515 motor
    Axial SCX10 shocks (because i had them and they were new!)
    Crawford Performance servos
    Imex Kong tires (shaven.....trying to start on the next tire!!)
    Imex Diamond 17mm Chrome wheels
    Muscle Machines Hemi engine
    Ofna Servo savers (bought from CPE)
    RC4WD Punisher extended X factor Driveshafts
    Parma 04 F150 1/8 scale body (decided not to use it though....smh)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today was the first start of the project and it is going really well. The tolerances of the chassis and dimensions are perfect.....John Is ON POINT! The craftsmanship of this thing is awesome and its practicalness is perfect. the shock mounts can be adjusted up and down. The trans can be taken out in less than three minutes. What more can a guy ask for?!?!? Today i put in the motor and pinion, mounted the shocks installed the driveshafts, installed the steering arms and servo. VIOLA! BESIDES WHEELS AND TIRES I ALREADY HAVE A READY TO RUN CHASSIS......well.....kinda! Still undecided on which shocks i really want to run........these shocks look very well. Everything thing fits....has tight tolerances....and is very clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]://s239.photobucket.com/user/soulja55/media/Boyer/2014-10-04_105819_zps9132baea.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]

the shafts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the motor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so what are your thoughts on shocks?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Oct 4, 2014 #2

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

i think the shocks are a little bit short standing back and looking at it......

3. Oct 4, 2014 #3

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper

hmmm that looks familiar but in an 1/8 vs a 1/10 lol.. ;) i run wk shocks bing John makes the shock mounts very versatile for diff sizes . i started with 100mm shocks on mine and they were way to short imo so i vote for bigger

i would run 110 -117 mm shocks at minimum :) great start to the build :cool

also that is designed after the newer Patrick chassis i had him do for me ;)

4. Oct 4, 2014 #4

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

5. Oct 5, 2014 #5

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

Thanks guys.....i'm hunting ebay right now to try to find some shocks. i need eight.....four i'm going to run with springs and four without. Trying to find a good price on some. what do you two think about tires? i got a feeling the Kongs may be a tad to big as well. i'm thinking XL pullers by RC4WD for the truck i want to replicate. thoughts?

6. Oct 5, 2014 #6

northerngames

northerngames

northerngames

7. Oct 5, 2014 #7

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

I'm loving the size of this thing, Matt!! I like the fact that you went with a Traxxas Maxx tranny instead of Axial. Everyone's obsessing over the low CG Axials trannies as if Axial's cutting them a check. Say you're using a Maxx revo trans in a project and Joe Blow will recommend Axial. Just wait.

8. Oct 6, 2014 #8

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

9. Oct 6, 2014 #9

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

TXT-2.0

Mod Wrapper

More to it choosing the axial over the maxx, I went with the axial for the compact size and the scale look . if I had a maxx trans it wouldn't have looked as scale by any means

But mine is a 1\10 not an 1\8

10. Oct 7, 2014 #10

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

e!

my main reason for wanting to run the Emaxx tranny was that i wanted a shiftable two speed. i never forgot the first time i took my new Emaxx out back in the ninties and shifting that thing....man it was a smile that came on my face! the sound it made just took me back to a kid a Christmas! true..... the trans does go into the drivers section a little......but the body i think will cover that the way i want. the body is going to be special......i don't really want to give it away quite yet as to what it will be be i PROMISE no one will have one like it. if i didn't want the two speed i probably would have ran the axial as well.

11. Oct 7, 2014 #11

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

Problems!!!!

:mad:mad

i was in a good mood a first......ordered all eight shocks this morning off ebay for a cool $39 dollars shipped....and i was happy until i came home.

i was doing some measuring and looking and these dag blasted axles are WAAAAY to wide....even for this truck. the wheelbase of the truck is 15.25 inches....i can work with that. but the problem comes at the axles. these things are HUGE. the body is 8.5 inches wideas shown by the pic here
    [​IMG]

the main problem comes as the axles measure out from wheel hex to wheel hex at 14.5 inches! as you can see from these pic that waaaay to wide with a body on and looks cartoonish and stupid. that ain't gonna fly.
    [​IMG]

the dimensions of the frame itself are very hefty. the frame length is 18.25 long
    [​IMG]

8 and 3/16 high
    [​IMG]

and 6.5 wide at the widest point
    [​IMG]

so.....it's looks like i going to have to get the RC4WD digger axles now. if i don't....it's just going to kill the whole look of the truck. look like i'll be pulling the driveshafts off and selling those, the body , and the scx10 shocks. i don't want a lame looking scale build. my other alternative would be to put the stock xtm or savage style wheels on it.....but the positive offset is totally killing the scale look. John actually sent me a pic of the truck with XTM wheels on it...but they just kill the look.
    [​IMG]

i guess i'm gonna have to change directions and work on the body rather than getting the chassis finished first until i can get the money for the axles. smh

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  12. Oct 7, 2014 #12

Ball Racing

Ball Racing

Ball Racing

How did the measurements for the chassis and wheelbase come to be???

13. Oct 7, 2014 #13

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

i told him i wanted it big! LOL! but i got the idea when I saw the one he had for sale up here a few years ago......and i said i wanted one like it.....he said he could do one better. here is a pic of the truck he sold. i kept this pic because i love the sheer size and the way this thing looked.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  14. Oct 7, 2014 #14

DiggerXX

DiggerXX

DiggerXX

Love watching Boyer chassis builds! This is awesome!

15. Oct 8, 2014 #15

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

Supreme Reign

I'd say centered MF axles would work nicely here, and they'd probably suit the chassis dimensions, but I know you want ultimate scale, and the Digger axles are it. They use Savage diffs, so they should hold up nicely. I know TweakedTad did a build with a set. His truck was 16.5" wide with nitro USA-1 wheels. He shaved the knuckles down. A major issue is that they don't work with Clod wheels.

16. Oct 8, 2014 #16

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

yea....i was thinking about that....but they just don't give the look i want. i'd had to waste all that time on a bad tail cassis just to look at the axles and be like BLAH.....lol. i have a plan to hustle up the money.....so mabe i'll have them before christmas!:cool

17. Oct 9, 2014 #17

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

I have a set of digger axles, going to get some custom C-Hubs made to allow use of a kyosho steering knuckle and stub axle. Should be pretty straight forward really. I just don't have the proper tooling to do it myself

18. Oct 9, 2014 #18

FullMetalGrv

FullMetalGrv

FullMetalGrv

How do you like those axles? I am kicking around an idea of getting a pair to mess around with. Maybe stick them on a wheely king or a barbarian chassis

19. Oct 10, 2014 #19

soulja55

soulja55

soulja55

I just sold the x factor axles.....and my wheely king shocks came in today. I just put a wealth up her for sale....that's gonna pay off one bill.....then I'm gonna start buying the digger axles. Smh....being grown sux.....Lol

To be honest I haven't used them at all and I just sold these!

20. Oct 10, 2014 #20

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Budhatrain

Moderator Moderator

Those digger axles are wide too... Have you looked into the width?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk