2008 Turkey Raffle Truck - Update

Discussion in 'General RC Monster Truck Discussion' started by Hardcore, Apr 10, 2009.

Help Support RCMT Network by donating:

Tags:
  1. Apr 10, 2009 #1

Hardcore

Hardcore

Hardcore

Just in case anyone was wondering the fate of the Turkey Raffle truck, here it is just now. Just been stuck for time to get it running.
    Installed some Basic radio gear and a 1000kv Speed Passion motor/esc combo with 6v BEC. Also decided to swap the tyres for Pro Line Flat Iron M3 with Memory Foam for a more scale look (smaller sidewall) and a bit more flex.
    Elite sxs 6 cell 5000mah for luck as well with deans

Future mods will include a stronger servo, a shell for runnning outside and some softer oil in the shocks.

The BL set up is set up on aggressive timing, but it cogs a little whe put under load when climbing up walls ect. Perhaps will ease off on the timing untill a lipo finds it's way in there. Top speed i estimate to be about 3-4mph

Some pics for the now, video soon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 10, 2009 #2

joe

joe

joe

ɹoʇɐɹʇsıuıɯpɐ Site Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

still awesome!
    :tmb

3. Apr 11, 2009 #3

spinout180

spinout180

spinout180

I was wondering when that sweet raffle truck was going to make an apearance. And yes, it's still awesome! I think you'll like those tires, I have a set also. I did the star cut mod to the foams on mine, and I'm very pleased. Be sure to snap a few pics of her in action, it's always interesting to see where people run their stuff. Your location is somewhat exotic to those of us in the states, LOL! Good luck and good adventures :)

Troy.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #4

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

hey turn the flash off on your camera and or get a outside picture :tong

Glad to ssee it again, that truck looks killer. I think you need a new styrene/plastic rear body post mount though. I hope it didn't crack in shipment?

5. Apr 11, 2009 #5

Hardcore

Hardcore

Hardcore

The rear body mount has a very small crack but it doesn't affect the body being held on sturdy.

I'll get some action shots and videos of it doing some trail running/crawling.

Being where in am next to the WIlderness in Scotland i have skate parks, forests, beaches, dirt runs, quarrys and even big plan old grass parks hehe.
    I guess that's really lucky for me,

This BL system i think really needs lipo to make the most of it. Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of torque, but the cogging when trying to climb mega steep things can be annoying, A little more power makes it go away.

i wonder how long the Elite 5000mah will last with a 1000kv BL set up with low gearing haha.

The pictures here don't do this vehicle justice just now.

6. Apr 11, 2009 #6

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

You might try to reduce cogging by resetting the ESC with little or no timing. Maybe even drop a pinion tooth or two. Not much room to go with a larger spur without hitting the driveshaft. :-(

I know from my 1/8 ventures that timing can cause cogging at low throttle so it's best to keep it low to zero in those situations.

7. Apr 11, 2009 #7

Hardcore

Hardcore

Hardcore

I offered my friend with his Tamiya High Lift a "tug of war" on some moist sand, but he wasn't up for that haha. He has the 1.9 flat irons and lockers and the stock High Lift gears may strip.

I'm going to put the timing back down for sure. After all, in a 1000kv motor the performance increase is minimal. Going out crawling for my first time on Monday and gonna try and make a day of it, so some action shots and videos will follow shortly. Nothing too crazy..don't want to flip the thing untill i get a runner shell

8. Apr 13, 2009 #8

Hardcore

Hardcore

Hardcore

Silly question, but does anyone know what wires to switch to make the motor rotate in the opposite direction?
    At the moment i only have brakes in reverse.

The badly translated manual says "swap any 2 wires"

9. Apr 13, 2009 #9

kwkride

kwkride

kwkride

From what I have read, that is correct. Just swap any 2 of the 3 wires, and the direction is reversed.

Jim

10. Apr 13, 2009 #10

william g

william g

william g

Retired Moderator

leave the middle, swap the 2 outside I was told, and have done. :tmb I was told that way back when I had a 50+mph brushless e-maxx.

11. Apr 13, 2009 #11

th67ss

th67ss

th67ss

That thing still looks good:tmb:tmb:tmb

Love the looks of the Flat Irons on it as well:drool

I still have my raffle Blazer (can't remember which raffle it was:bang) as well but it's under going a frame paint as I type. I'll have to get a thread going to show it off once done:tmb

.....Tom

12. May 28, 2009 #12

Hardcore

Hardcore

Hardcore

Another lil update to add here. Not really been running it too much. Mayble got about 4 runs on it now. Didn't wannt rash the shell ;)

Now i've ordered a beater shell in the form of the Axial scale crawler shell. Brand new with stickers so it slighly resembles the shape of the current one.

Ordered this, handfull of lead sticky weights for the wheels and 15 weight shock oil for a little flex.

Not happy with the motor at all. Lots of cogging and i don't think it's the battery. Put all punch control and timing to 0 and still cogging. I beleive it's because it's a Speed Passion 540 motor with "ribbed heatsink" design. I.e 380 sized, but the heatsink over the can makes it look 540. Still gobs of torque but cogging isn't cool.

Going to order a long 540 style motor (truw 540 and longer like the L sized motors). Sensored and also 1100kv. With the added torque i should be able to gear up a bit to maybe get 5-6mph. Only does 3mph or so the now. That and a zippy 2s hard case as the esc supports LVC.

Finally all of my RC's will be going 2.4ghz in the form of cheap Spektrum set ups.

Shock oil and wheel weights and basher shell should be done in the next 2 weeks (keep the black shell for when it's on the shelf ;))
    Motor, zippy and radio gear will be shortly after

13. Jul 26, 2019 #13

Hardcore

Hardcore

Hardcore

This has got to be the biggest thread bump in a long time. Although pretty much retired, and has had some changes the old Terminator Turkey Raffle Truck comes out to play now and then
    This was it's last outing