1/8 scale Stampede and family of Pedes

rcwanab

E7A6F5E8-0902-4EDB-98E7-D0BE8CD9B10D.jpgB22C905D-3CF5-4347-B996-76C88B62C97F.jpg465A46F5-351C-4280-A894-0CC6456771CC.jpg
This is the 1/8 th scale Stampede. Proline #6082-01 4x4 arms x4. Proline 6082-02 4x60mm turnbuckles x4. Proline 6262-05 Pro MT rear hub carrier. STRC ST6832S front C-hubs for Slash 4x4. STRC ST1654-17S 17mm hex conv kit for Slash 4x4. Traxxas 4x4 front hub carrier. Ofna Dominator zero offset 3.2 rims(almost obsolete). HPI 4892-Aggressor 3.2 tires. Do not have steering links figured out yet.
Over 16.5 wide and 13 in long wheel base.

rcwanab

Hey it’s been a long time, son is now 9 and recently back into these more than ever. Daughter is 13 so basically I’ve lost her to her phone and dancing so her FLM pede is now mine. We’ve run these so little since last post we’re still running the same bodies, beat up just a little, and same tires not worn too bad at all. Have made a couple changes.

First the Traxxas 94mm links (TRA2338) I was using for steering links weren’t any good. Brittle as could be. I believe they were from an original TMaxx but it didn’t take very much to break the ends at the threads. Switched to some HPI links that seem much more durable. Cannot remember the part number but I think it’s off a HPI Savage. Seems to be a better spring steel maybe. Needed the longer Traxxas ends. Took a picture of the links.

Just popped a Traxxas 2075 steering servo but ordered a set of replacement metal gears for $20 bucks. #TRA2072R and piece of cake to install. Still have good luck with Slash servo savers #TRA1844.

Attachments

Last edited:

rcwanab

Running brushless in both. In my sons we were experimenting with a Chinese GOOLRC water proof 3800kv system. It cost $38 bucks shipped from China and got it in a reasonable time considering. Maybe a couple weeks. Came pre wired and a deans plug so dropped right in. They have a multiple different kv systems and I chose the #3660 3800kv system. Motor has a 5mm pinion shaft. It was working great and smooth but last week I hooked up a battery backwards and appeared to have smoked the esc. Feel like an idiot but it happened. Put pluses by positive battery plug ins now. Motor still works with another esc. Think I’ll take the chance again. I see a stateside wear house has them $44 shipped. Picture of my now more idiot proof battery.

Attachments

Last edited:

rcwanab

In the FLM Stampede I have a HobbyWing WP-SC8 and a 4000kv system. I have 3 of these esc’s in different vehicles. Water proof 120A, 4 cell capable and programmable for about $60 bucks shipped for just the esc. Not a small system but fits just perfectly on Stampede esc/receiver plate. Only problem I’ve noticed is lipo cut isn’t very accurate. Will go into that in next post.

Attachments

rcwanab

Oh yeah another simple mod I need to do to prevent this. Happens on any rough landing or tumble especially with a wheelie bar. Pops right back in easily enough but still annoying. A local carpet race track required you do do this to your Slash before you ran it. Have to drill a small hole and install small screw and maybe a touch of ca or shoe goo. Pretty beat up Slash but shows the idea.

Attachments

Last edited:

rcwanab

Do have a question for anybody in the know. I mentioned the lipo cut isn’t real accurate on the HobbyWing WP-SC8. Originally I had lipo cut at 3.2v per cell and after cutoff I’d only be putting 3000mah back into the 6000mah batteries. I’ve moved the lipo cut down to 3.0v and it’s helping but I’m online using 4000mah of the 6000mah rated batteries. My batteries are old and slightly puffed, compared to a new one anyways, but still balance up just fine and I’ve always balanced them. Thinking of trying one of those lipo low voltage alarms and turning the cut way down. Is this just as simple as my batteries are so old there’s just too much of a voltage drop under load? Both vehicles run very low temps on motors/esc’s/ and batteries so I’m pretty confident my gearing is proper. 3800 & 4000kv motors used so not super high speed stuff either. I plan on buying more batteries very soon. Be nice if I could get more use out of current batteries even after I get new ones but maybe they are just at the end of their life.

Last edited:

rcwanab

The current stable. My 1/8th scale Stampede turned into 2 builds somehow. Chuckworks Maxpede mid motor (unpainted) and FLM 1/8 chassis(orange). Both are nearly finished other than some paint, tire glueing. Have all the electronics just need to install. I do need a 3 cell lipo for the truggy and a really high amperage 2 cell for the 4600kv 550 in the orange truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

rcwanab

Purchased some cheap Chinese lipo batteries and a new charger/balancer. If they are good or junk I will let you know.

Batteries are Zeee brand and came from a California warehouse location so I received them in 1 week with free shipping and pretty inexpensive. I purchased 3 hard case 2 cell packs total. Got a package deal of 2 6000mah 80C with Dean’s plug for $49. Another single 6000mah 100C with Deans for $30. Other than the Deans (sure they’re fake) are real tight everything seems okay.

Also bought a G.T. Power C6D mini charger/balancer. 10A 100W AC charger for cheap. It was $41 after tax and $2.99 shipping and from west coast also so had it in a week. It’s about half the size of my old Thunder AC6. Has a fan on each side of it and came with a balance board with so many different plug styles it was kinda confusing at first. It may be only capable of up to 4cell batteries but that’s fine for me. Not sure if I’ll charge at 10A but 6-8 I’m sure I’ll use plenty. Thought it said ac/dc when I purchased but at least no dc banana clips included in it. I have a Venom Pro that I never use for dc anyways. I really need to get a power supply.

Attachments

Last edited:

rcwanab

Okay first use on the batteries and they worked great. We had 20-25 minutes run time per pack. The 100c took along time to balance on first charge. We’ll see on the second.

I finally found an awesome bash spot. Some type of dirt/sand quarry next to some backwaters river area. Couple of kinda rough but workable lowland sand area’s and a giant pile of the most perfect sand. Pretty fine and loose but not so soft you can’t walk on it. It’s a giant pile/mountain of sand pushed up on one side at one time by a dozer I suppose but weathered smooth and cool steep loose sides. I think we need to get some paddle tires. I have some cell phone videos I need to figure out how to load.

Attachments

rcwanab

DC53837C-FAD6-4CC7-8D45-3629AD945762.jpeg
2D07B3FD-FAC3-4399-AA11-5A535493395A.jpeg

Finally purchased some Pro Line Sand Paws. Our area of dredged river sand will be perfect for these. Had the silver with blue flame Rustler body sitting around and my sons Bigfoot body was needing a lot of shoe goo in rear so time to switch. Love how aggressive these tires look. Hate gluing them though. I’ve seen a glue remover to help cleanup excess, got to track that down now. Trucks are holding up well. Bent shock shaft on sons, and a servo saver also. Oddly enough my boy hasn’t blown a stock shock cap off and he’s been launching his pretty consistently. Slashes do that constantly so I figured aluminum shocks would be needed real quick when I bought this. Must have to do with the bigger 2.8 m/t tires on a Stampede. I’ve had a couple issues with Pro Line Pro Spline cvd’s. Could be just a freak incident but I had a stub axle shear real cleanly not long after a collision of the 2 trucks but I don’t think the rear ends made much contact so that seems a little suspect. Also I had a band move just enough to lose a pin in the cvd joint so I have to order some parts. Robbed a replacement axle off another truck. Finally blew up gears in an really old Traxxas 2075 steering servo and replaced with a set of hd metal gears from Traxxas for $20. TRA#2072R. Gonna take a little while but I really want to get some type of video from our area.