1:8 Scale Grave Digger

Paul4x4

I finally managed to register to this forum, and my original plan was to do a build thread of the Digger here, but due to registration issues I had to post my progress to scale4x4 forum, and some of you might already know this build from there. But from now on, I'm going to keep this thread updated alongside with the scale4x4 thread:)

A quick catch-up for you who haven't seen the Digger before. It's based on Kyosho Mad Force drive line and Savage shocks. Rest is more or less scratch built or taken from various other models.

Here's how it started by printing a photo of 1:1 Digger down to scale I was aiming at, and tube bending and brazing has also begun.

With more tube added.

Test fit of the body. Mock-up engine also in it's place. Yes, this ain't no electric truck. Nitro all the way baby!;)

The chassis almost complete.

And here she is, finally on her axles.

Finished and sandblasted chassis waiting to get some green powder on it.

After coating.

With the body on.

Starting to look like something...

And this is how it looks like today.:cool Still a lot of work to be done before this thing moves!

I have the front steering system currently in the making, but the progress is kinda slow these days, so be patient with this one!:)

MiRatlhed

RCMTC-MI
Looks great! The digger frames really set themselves apart from the rest being green. Nice build man! Thanks for bringing it onto RCMT!

Paul4x4

Finally an major update!:cool

I got my secret steering system done! Or at least it's working now. Still needs a lot of testing and adjusting done to it, but it's gonna work nicely!

Here's a little video I shot of the first steering test. Yeah, it's a wire steering! Bet you haven't seen one before:D
[video=youtube;OQ1ZRhehgWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1ZRhehgWw[/video]

Paul4x4

Here's a fresh picture of the rig!:cool

And I fabricated some sway bar arms too!:)
[video=youtube;KSMtSuBwWdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMtSuBwWdg[/video]

Paul4x4

man,this truck is awesome!!!!!!!!
Thanks man!:cool

Today I did some tire shaving and Dremeled some grooves to mimic the tire groover marks found in the real monster truck tires.

And a little Dremel action video!:D
[video=youtube;ICHoSQH1YoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICHoSQH1YoI[/video]

blur85

this is one awesome build i love how this thing turned out. you build those chassis often??

Paul4x4

this is one awesome build i love how this thing turned out. you build those chassis often??
Thanks!:)

Actually, this was my first and only attempt at making a tube chassis, so I can't say I build those very often!:D

jason

Thanks!:)

Actually, this was my first and only attempt at making a tube chassis, so I can't say I build those very often!:D
Your work makes you look like a seasoned pro! very nice!

I'm curious about the steering. have you got a chance to try it yet?