Members do not see advertisements
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Follows
    Following

Default Re: MASC 4X4 SCT (Slash Clone) Review

Cool I've heard that those tenshock systems are powerhouses

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Got the motor and ESC installed tonight and took the truck for a little test spin. The Tenshock motor and Tenshock EX-4 ESC combo is EXTREMELY smooth. If I didn't know better and someone handed me the controller to this truck I would think there was a sensored system in it. While it is smooth the truck is brutally fast as well. I didn't get much chance to test it tonight and will mess with it more tomorrow - especially the ESC programming. A couple quick points about the combo though:

- Programming the ESC to the controller is about the easiest process ever. Basically you hold full throttle, turn on the esc, wait for beeps, hold full brake, wait for beeps, then return to neutral and wait for beeps. Done.

- The program card will not work hooked to the main signal wire. There is a second plug that the fan plugs into that has to be used. The plug fit on the esc is extremely loose, so you must hold it tight with your hand while programming the esc.

- As stated the combo is really smooth. At minimal throttle inputs from a dead stop cogging is about as minimal as you can get without it being totally eliminated. I don't think this system gives up ANYTHING to a sensored system in terms of control and smoothness. I like it a LOT!!!

In terms of the truck, it felt very nimble the short time I drove it. You would expect that from a truck as light as this one. As long as the tires hook up on the carpet, I think this truck is going to race very well. I still think the shock pistons will need to be changed but I'm going to race it in stock form for a heat or two and see how it does.

Follows
    Following

what if you super glued 1 hole closed in each piston then reassembled the shocks?
    __solids rule _________________________ My Email

Quote Originally Posted by william g View Post
    what if you super glued 1 hole closed in each piston then reassembled the shocks?
    I believe these are standard bore shocks so I'm just going to slap a set of Traxxas pistons in there and call it a day.

Follows
    Following

Any update?

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Nothing of too much substance. The truck has a baseline set up on it to work from, everything is installed, it's ready to go for Friday. I'll take a few pictures before Friday while it's still got the new shine on it and then we'll give it **** on Friday.

Follows
    Following

I hope it goes in their, hangs tough and everyone else is like whoa what is that thing

I hope so too!!!

Finally - we are to the payoff! Took the MASC racing tonight and the night got off to a bit of a rocky start. In practice I brushed a board and my fears of the ball cups were confirmed...I popped one off on just the third lap. I snapped it back on, made it another lap and popped another one. Not good. I also thought I stripped a spur gear but thankfully just the motor mount had loosened and the motor was being held in by about three threads. I was scared to tighten up the screws too much due to the hardware hex head issue, but at that point I had no choice. Once they had the gorilla grip applied, they did not loosen back up.

On the track a few things stood out - first of all as suspected the truck was massively under dampened. The handling was not crisp due to this - it would kind of wallow out in turns. I took it back to the pits to change shock pistons and to my surprise the pistons holes were nearly identical in size to the Traxxas two hole pistons I brought along. I don't know why they appeared so large when I changed the oil before. Since that would not make any difference I left the stock pistons in there and slapped myself in the forehead for not bringing the single hole pistons. So the best I could do was fill the front shocks with 80wt oil and the rears received 60wt. This helped out tremendously but I still would have liked a little more dampening. The tire foams are pretty soft, so I think some of the lazy handling can be attributed to those as well. If I were to keep this truck and continue to race it indoors it would get single hole pistons, 50-60 wt oil, and a set of closed cell foams.

The one thing that shined on the truck were the tires - they hooked up as good as you can expect and also the truck had a HUGE amount of steering. I ended up taking steps to dial some steering out of it to get it to settle down. The weight of this truck (super light) plus the amount of steering it has made extremely easy to hug the inside line in any turn. The motor/esc combo worked flawlessly all night, matter of fact it's really too much motor for this truck on a tight track like we had tonight. I ended up dialing the EPA on the throttle to 75% by the end of the night. The motor never temped over 125 degrees, and the brakes on this system are nuts. I ran the braking at 40% and could still stop on a dime. The only complaints about the esc is the plug for the fan is really loose and the fan would not stay plugged in. The truck was still lightening quick and as good as the tires were the motor easily over powered them. Tire dope was applied before each round as well.

So here is a list of race number (3 heats and a main), finishing position, laps, fast lap, time, and changes made to the truck after each round:

Heat 1 - 3rd, 18 laps, 13.40 seconds (I cut the track...LOL), 5:12. Truck received 80 wt front oil, 60 wt rear.

Heat 2 - 3rd, 18 laps, 14.56 seconds, 5:06. Popped another ball cup this round and luckily a marshal snapped it back on for me. Added 1 degree toe in on the front, dialed steering down to 80%, dialed throttle down to 85%.

Heat 3 - 2nd, 19 laps, 14.87 seconds, 5:02. Popped a ball cup right at the end of the race and limped it across the line. Might have got 20 laps if it wasn't for that. Lowered rear ride height by 2mm and took throttle down to 75%.

Main - 1st, 20 laps, 13.91 seconds (did not cut track), 5:23. Truck was coming in more and more each race. I really think this truck would have no problem using a 540 sized motor due to the weight. I think with some closed cell foams, suspension tweaks, and a 540 sensored based set up this truck would be absolutely lethal at my track. The amount of steering it has is just insane.

I was pretty stoked to win the main. I wouldn't have had anything for the TQ but he had some bad luck during the main and luckily I stayed out of trouble. I did clip and board on the last lap and pop yet another ball cup but I was close enough to the finish and I had a lap on second place so I was able to limp it across the line.

I don't think I need another race on this truck. I would like to, but the ball cup issue is getting old, and quickly. If I were to keep racing this truck captured ball ends would be a must, as well as some heavier tie rods and camber links. A couple guys at the track tonight commented on how anorexic looking they are. Lundsford to the rescue.

I'll give the truck an extreme close up once over tomorrow but I don't think anything broke on the truck. I took a couple hard hits (dang boards like to jump out in front of my vehicles) and aside from the ball cup issue nothing else seemed amiss.

To close the review I have mixed feelings about the truck. If I were to keep it or buy one for myself, about 50% of the hardware would need to be replaced, it needs captured ball ends on the steering at a minimum and probably on the camber links as well (I did not pop a camber link thought), the foams could use an upgrade, there needs to be some suspension tuning done, and I'd probably go with a little less motor for indoors. The thought of replacement parts stinks and to be honest I have not even checked availability. Long term reliability is unknown as well.

The good though is I think this truck has a ton of potential. In stock form it needs some polish, for sure. If you want to race something different this is your truck. It has some innovative features and I feel the tighter the track you race on, the more this truck will shine. The issues I came across were not anything that could not be resolved fairly easily.

With that I think this review is done. If anyone is begging for me to race it for a full season and do a long term reliability test, I'll gladly oblige. Most probably want to get to the fun part though- the give away. I'll send Brett a PM and ask him if he can do it Saturday night.

I think I covered everything from tonight but if there are any questions post them up!

Follows
    Following

Very cool review John! (off topic we really need to talk to Steven about getting better smilies)

This kinda reminds me of the Redcat Ground Pounder in some ways. It's an off brand with a lot of quirks, some you can work through others you have to work with, but in the end you can have a competitive vehicle if you keep at it.

Would be nice if this goes to someone who can continue to race it. If not, someone who can bash to bejeezus out of it.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

Oh btw, any vids????
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

cool glad to hear it turned out to be not too bad after all and hanged with the best of them even know it had it's issue here and there but most stockers do.

better then saying I punched it off the line and the motor mount crakced and the motor flew out or the first lap the chassis snapped in two or the diff exploded etc....

to me it appears to be a offbrand that can hang with name brand and sometime even out do them like tonight

Follows
    Following

First grats on the win, take them when ever you them. Nice job on the review and nice to know there is an option out there to get into short course racing without digging too deep into the pocket at first. Also if racing is in this trucks future may have to pre buy parts due to the unknown of part availability. Again job well done

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Follows
    Following

great job John ! and a huge thank you for this review
    ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ Searching for the truth is easy , Accepting the truth is hard ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░

Follows
    Following

Thanks a bunch John, and congratulations on the win. Very impressive for it's first night out.

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    This kinda reminds me of the Redcat Ground Pounder in some ways. It's an off brand with a lot of quirks, some you can work through others you have to work with, but in the end you can have a competitive vehicle if you keep at it.
    I think that is a very fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    Oh btw, any vids????
    No! I even took my camera to the track and hoped to get someone to tape some footage. The race night went very quickly, and my son had some *ahem* technical difficulties with his buggy (sudden stop against the wall was major "technical" issue there), tweaking on his Slash, tweaking on the 4x4, and a very fast paced race night it completely slipped my mind. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by northerngames View Post
    cool glad to hear it turned out to be not too bad after all and hanged with the best of them even know it had it's issue here and there but most stockers do.

better then saying I punched it off the line and the motor mount crakced and the motor flew out or the first lap the chassis snapped in two or the diff exploded etc....

to me it appears to be a offbrand that can hang with name brand and sometime even out do them like tonight
    LOL! You're right, it could have been much worse. The handling woes were primarily based on the surface I was running on - on an outdoor dirt track the out of the box set up would have been much closer to optimal. Very happy nothing broke and the ball cup issue might not be an issue bashing or racing outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
    First grats on the win, take them when ever you them. Nice job on the review and nice to know there is an option out there to get into short course racing without digging too deep into the pocket at first. Also if racing is in this trucks future may have to pre buy parts due to the unknown of part availability. Again job well done
    Thanks! I agree - I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Jeff had a lap on me in qualifying and was walking away from me in the main. He had some bad luck and a series of crashes otherwise this would probably be a "second place isn't bad for it's debut" post. LOL I definitely think a stock of parts would be the way to go if you were going to campaign this truck for a season.

I did go over the truck with a fine tooth comb this morning - nothing broken but the shocks are leaking like a sieve.

Quote Originally Posted by TXT-2.0 View Post
    great job John ! and a huge thank you for this review
    Thanks Tom! It was fun to do.

Quote Originally Posted by william g View Post
    Thanks a bunch John, and congratulations on the win. Very impressive for it's first night out.
    Thanks Bill! I thought it did really well for pretty much being box stock.

Something I wanted to add was the total price to put this truck together was as follows:

Truck $217
    ESC/Motor $112
    Servo $60
    Radio $129
    Total - $518

Ouch. Definitely not bargain basement pricing. You could go with a Solar servo and something like a flysky radio and drop $100 off that price tag, but comparatively speaking:

Losi SCTE RTR $499 / Roller $279
    Slash 4x4 RTR $414 or platinum ARR is $409
    SC10 4x4 RTR is $399

And any of the above will have much more parts availability and also upgrades than the MASC. Price and parts would be reason enough for me to look elsewhere if I were to jump into the 4x4 class full time.

Brett was kind enough to agree to do the name draw tonight. Thanks Brett!

Follows
    Following

Congrats on the win not bad for its first race. It does sound alot like the ground pounder. Great review looking forward to the drawing tonight.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    2 Clods, Slash 4x4, Wheely King, PTI Goliath, Summit

After doing this review and then looking at prices, I wonder how a "budget" 4x4 like a Helion Dominus or a Redcat Caldera 10E would stack up? Either of them would have parts readily available here in the US...hummmmmm.

Follows
    Following

Redcat makes the bodies from peanut brittle, better figure in a body cost for anything fro them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast