Members do not see advertisements
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Follows
    Following

Default TXT-1 Clone Review

It's here, 16 days after making payment it has arrived, I think the labor day weekend messed it up from being shorter. It came requiring a signature so anyone ordering one in the future should be aware of that.

Here's some quick pics and a short vid:

Box it came in, just about the size of the TXT, not crazy big but large none the less.

Everything laid out. rolling chassis, body, and accessories bag.

Accessories include 2 servos, 1 esc, and one servo accessories bag(servo mount, servo saver and steering arm).

Here's a short vid, hated doing it because it's like an unboxing vid but since I know guy's are curious I decided I should do one. Sorry for the crappy res but I had the settings for regular internet pics.

And here's some quick comparison pics against the real deal Tamiya TXT-1.

I'm going to give it a quick once over then install the esc and steering servo and make a quick vid of it running as delivered. Hopefully have that dome tomorrow or Friday so I can spend the weekend breaking down the axles and trans.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

"I hate myself for doing it." LOL!!!!!!!

Glad to see it made it there pretty fast and that the first impression overall sounds very promising.

Follows
    Following

Looks to me like the knock off tires don't have the words "ALL Traction Utility" stamped on them as well as the tire size. Could be a good way of telling the Japanese tires from the Chinese ones.

Follows
    Following

I'm going to change plans here and NOT run it stock. I got a little curious and wanted to make sure there were bearings(the truck didn't roll very well) and sure enough I found bushings in the knuckles and I could see them in the axles.

I also popped the top cover of one of the axles because of a statement Bill had made about there being a difference and found the gears were only oiled not greased(but there are bearings in there).

So just to make sure everything is put together in a way I'm comfortable I'm going to skip the stock test run and just start disassembly. And since rebuilding stock just to take it apart again would be a waste I'll just start modifying it.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

Im glad you finally got it and im with you on the unboxing vid. But it lets everyone know how it is. And off to the review
    Txt-1, Juggernaut 2, custom 4x4 stampede, and alot more

Follows
    Following

Man, thanks for this post!

Follows
    Following

the clone looks basicly spot on.

Follows
    Following

HINT HINT
    when you take the knuckles off you may think you lost the ''kingpin bearing spacer washers'' normally found on clods and txt's but there is only 1 per knuckle. If you put 2 it binds the steering up. A clod knuckle does swap in and work fine though.
    __solids rule _________________________ My Email

Quote Originally Posted by william g View Post
    HINT HINT
    when you take the knuckles off you may think you lost the ''kingpin bearing spacer washers'' normally found on clods and txt's but there is only 1 per knuckle. If you put 2 it binds the steering up. A clod knuckle does swap in and work fine though.
    Bill,

You seem to know a lot about this truck already. You been holding out on us? Something you want to 'fess up to?

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by JKRacing37 View Post
    Bill,

You seem to know a lot about this truck already. You been holding out on us? Something you want to 'fess up to?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too.

HINT HINT

Actually there were none, on the top or bottom.

Follows
    Following

So what are the mods going to be, im just wondering.
    Txt-1, Juggernaut 2, custom 4x4 stampede, and alot more

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by JKRacing37 View Post
    Bill,

ummm I'll get back to you on that

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too.
    Actually there were none, on the top or bottom.
    Really?
    I counted, umm I saw, umm

I envisioned, yeah that's it, I envisioned 1 on the bottom side of each knuckle.
    Bushings are not sintered like tamiya, they're brass or bronze type

Axle cases not entirely interchangeable with tamiya
    There is different size bearings on the INPUT shaft, a larger 12mm outside diameter but same 6mm inside. That bearing was the ODD size 11x6x4mm on a tamiya case

So if you break the top area around the upper link mount you CANNOT swap a tamiya part on, you have to swap the case and bearings or contact the seller for spares

Follows
    Following

Subscribed and watching...
    janderson@tamiya.com visit: www.tamiyausa.com
    Check my FLICKR page for my R/C Builds.

Follows
    Following

Bushings are not sintered like tamiya, they're brass or bronze type
    I tried getting bearings on the axles but they were too tight. Did you try putting bearings on? I did mange to get them on and I'll cover how I did it when I post up about the axles so it's all in one place.

Axle cases not entirely interchangeable with tamiya
    There is different size bearings on the INPUT shaft, a larger 12mm outside diameter but same 6mm inside. That bearing was the ODD size 11x6x4mm on a tamiya case

So if you break the top area around the upper link mount you CANNOT swap a tamiya part on, you have to swap the case and bearings or contact the seller for spares
    Yeah noticed that. If the top cover can hold up I think it's better because the 6x12x4mm bearing is more common. But I noticed the top cover is "vented" to make the larger bearing fit. Anyway I'll cover that later. There were other parts that kinda worried me though.

Quote Originally Posted by rocpede4x4 View Post
    So what are the mods going to be, im just wondering.
    Bearings
    oil filled shocks
    Bolt on dropped cradle section for the battery and to relocate the lower links mounts on the chassis
    bracing(aluminum, epoxy)
    steering mods to get more travel
    lockout the rear steering
    Get rid of the skidplates and use delrin blocks as lower link mounts on the axle and for the canti mounts on top.
    BTA steering

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    I tried getting bearings on the axles but they were too tight. Did you try putting bearings on? I did mange to get them on and I'll cover how I did it when I post up about the axles so it's all in one place.
    Yeah noticed that. If the top cover can hold up I think it's better because the 6x12x4mm bearing is more common. But I noticed the top cover is "vented" to make the larger bearing fit. Anyway I'll cover that later. There were other parts that kinda worried me though.
    I'll "envision" placing a bearing on a stub axle to check.
    So if I was to have a set of the clone truck axles here I would most likely use clod stub axles so I could use my EQR wheels.

Yeah, that's it, envision and stuff yup that's it

Follows
    Following

The bearings went on fine to the one stub shaft I did. It was the long shafts that were too tight.

Follows
    Following

awesome so far Kent !
    ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ Searching for the truth is easy , Accepting the truth is hard ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░

Follows
    Following

Cool stuff so far Kent...
    THE ORIGINAL MONSTER TRUCK
    Boyer Bigfoot 18, Boyer Skinny Kong, The Pounders
    http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

Follows
    Following

Default Re: TXT-1 Clone Review

Are the clone tires a little smaller or is it just the pic?

When you do the review can you address the tires regarding compound compared to Tamiya etc?

Follows
    Following

Default Re: TXT-1 Clone Review

Never mind. I just watched the unboxing video. lol. I didn't watch it cuz I don't like unboxings but I clicked it anyway and found out you don't like em either and you answered my question about the tires!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast