Members do not see advertisements
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to discharge/store 5000mah 2s lipo with thunder ac6 charger?

I have a turnigy 5000-Mah 40C 2S battery I just charged with my thunder ac6 charger I set the cut off at 4980 mah set for 2s and it was charging at 8.4V @ 5 amps does that seem correct it took about 45 minutes?

well I threw it in my new all aluminum brushless wheely king and it blew the integy HD axle shafts of take off within 4 inches.

so now the battery is still charged and I need to know what I need to do to set it back to storage mode using the thunder AC6 charger.

I tried to do it and it told me voltage to high error screen but dont think I had something set right.

do I also put the 5000-Mah 2S value's in and store it that way and it does it's own thing?

I was thinkg that is what it would store it at and I did not set it and left that part the way the charger comes and may be the problem but I dont think storing it at a full charge setting would serve a purpose so if anyone has one of these setup's please let me know what I need to do so I dont ruin the battery.

it has had a full charge for about 3hrs now.

Post Thanks / Like

burn some juice off in any vehicle, even if a motor running on benchtop
    or set the charger for storage
    or
    put the charger in discharge/cycle mode and unplug the battery after a bit while in discharge before it goes to charge then set it back up and go to storage charge
    __My webpage _________________________ My Email

Post Thanks / Like

What is the downside of storing a Lipo at or near full charge? I am using NiMH batteries at the moment but have been debating Lipo but this is something I also need to factor in. As it stands now I usually have my NiMH charged and ready so I can pop them in a truck at a moments notice. But with Lipo it sounds like I have to plan my runs and charge the batteries the day I plan to use them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard it can oxidize the material in the cells and cause them to fail prematurely. I know the packs I never discharged for storage never seem to hold up for as long as the ones I do set up for storage.
    Living in a world of false equivalence.

-Juice

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any motor's to do that and also was understanding spinning them with nothing there to move is bad news.

so I set the charger on the stroage mode.

set it to 2S

the thing I dont get is it ask for the voltage and the amperage.

for the amp's it allows for .1 to 1.0 amp's so I set it to 1.0 and also it ask for the voltage so I set it at 7.4V

I dunno if that is even right or not.

it did it's thing for 2 hours and then charger shut itself down.

it started at 8.4 V and now down to 7.7V but what it's actually doing is beyond me.

what is the correct storage amp's and volts for these turnigy 5000-mah 2s 40C battery's?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it's a half charge
    visit cowrc.com and rc4wd.com

Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware on RCMT

Post Thanks / Like

I have an external balance/discharger,after a full charge I set it to discharge the cells to 3.84volts per cell!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by im2tall View Post
    I have an external balance/discharger,after a full charge I set it to discharge the cells to 3.84volts per cell!!

Thats a good move. I hook my packs up to my old Deans discharger and hook the balancing tap up to my charger and use the monitor function to read the packs voltage till it hits the right number. You kind of have to be careful though since the packs read much lower under load. Once you pull the discharger off the voltage jumps back up instantly.

-Juice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by im2tall View Post
    mine has a discharge and a storage setting.

do you only dicharge it and not put it in the storage state as I would think there different or the storage option would not even be needed on any charger?

also what part would the amp setting play in this or yours?

Post Thanks / Like

On my charger I set it to 1c,so when I charge my 5000 packs it would equal to 5amps,when I charge my 2650 pack it's equal to 2.65amps,basically I charge at 1c !!My external balancer/discharger is just used when I balance charge my packs,I set it to balance mode while the pack is charging,or I use it for discharging,balancing and storage!

Post Thanks / Like

right on mine I charged it at 2s balanced at 5 amp

disharge is where I am confused.

I dont have a c option.

I do have a amp option from .1 to 1.0 in tenth increments what should I have it set at for storage.

I did 1.0 amp at 7.4 volt.

should I discharge and then do the storage or?

is storage and discharge the same?

I am only more confused lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by northerngames View Post
    right on mine I charged it at 2s balanced at 5 amp

disharge is where I am confused.

I dont have a c option.

I do have a amp option from .1 to 1.0 in tenth increments what should I have it set at for storage.

I did 1.0 amp at 7.4 volt.

should I discharge and then do the storage or?

is storage and discharge the same?

I am only more confused lol.

Storage mode will charge or discharge your battery (depending on how much charge the battery has) so that if you don't use it for a while it will be good to go, even after a couple months of no use. I always kept my lipo's at around 45-50% charged. After I ran them they'd usually read about 30%, so a quick 10 minute charge would put them about half way. They don't drain as fast as NIMH batt's do. Someone mentioned they leave their NIMH fully charged. That is not good for those either. .
    http://www.rcmt.biz/bd/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26&dateline=131325021  9

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spidubic View Post
    What is the downside of storing a Lipo at or near full charge? I am using NiMH batteries at the moment but have been debating Lipo but this is something I also need to factor in. As it stands now I usually have my NiMH charged and ready so I can pop them in a truck at a moments notice. But with Lipo it sounds like I have to plan my runs and charge the batteries the day I plan to use them.
    Storing it at full charge is bad for the battery. I did that when I had small rc heli batts (1s 600mah packs) and if you keep them fully charged it reduces the lifespan of the battery's significantly. Eventually the batteries would be useless. I would charge them, try running them but they would only be usable for 2 minutes...when they were new they'd last 8-9 min.
    http://www.rcmt.biz/bd/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26&dateline=131325021  9

Post Thanks / Like

so what should I be putting in for the amp's is it .1 or 1.0 or?

it is a manual option and I needed to select something so I went with 1.0 but should it be less?

how do you read what the battery is currently at and can you manually select a percentage you want it at.

say it say's 3500 and I want half charge so I would set it for 1750 can it do manual stuff like that or no?

so I just put it on discharge and the only option I have is 6V 2S and then the option to go from .1A to 1.0A.

it said battery check and now it is doing it's thing but should the voltage be even less then that like 3.8 wich is half of 7.4

Post Thanks / Like

If you know your going to run it that day, or even in coming days then leaving the pack fully charged isnt going to hurt anything. You really only need to worry about proper storage charge if its going to sit for a while. Don't get too obsessed with doing it every time its going to sit for more than 5 minutes.

-Juice

Post Thanks / Like

the wheely king I had it in with a castle 4600 broke the integy hd axle shaft on the spot so I have to order the parts and rebuild both axles so it's going to be a few day's and it was a brand new battery I just charged to take it for the first run but it never made it outta the house lol.

snapped that axle shaft in two so the rest have no chance in the super scarlet aluminum king so I am forced to go with xvd and if they cannot hold I need some grail MIP's and if either are no go I have to scrap the project becuase it can't handle the power/size of my desighn and may have to convert it over to a clod axled beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Here a question for anyone.

Is a week to long to let it sit fully charged or is the time frame longer? I know if mine sits past a week I'll pull it out and give it a storage charge. Then when I'm ready to use I'll balance charge the battery, well I balance charge every time I charge the pack.
    Tom

Clod Buster, Lack of Motivation (Jugg) Build, TLT 1, Blitzer Beetle, Frog, Sand Scorcher