Members do not see advertisements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default varicom big grizzly...

i cant be the only one with one of these things left.. i actually just picked this one up from denmark. on ebay.. looks to be unused for the most part still has all its original equipment and runs smooth. anyone know of any hopups that can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one, never looked into hopping it though so no help for ya on that. sorry

Post Thanks / Like

ics
    or they dont exist!
    :tong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    ics
    or they dont exist!
    :tong
    ok ill get a pic for ya..

Post Thanks / Like

hows that...

Post Thanks / Like

oh man that's an e-bay pic we need some good pictures to view :tong

I never saw one in person, and have yet to really see some good photos online. Man, you have some serious relics on hand don't you? It's a shame we can't get a r/c time machine to bring some back for us.
    __My webpage _________________________ My Email

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william g View Post
    oh man that's an e-bay pic we need some good pictures to view :tong

I never saw one in person, and have yet to really see some good photos online. Man, you have some serious relics on hand don't you? It's a shame we can't get a r/c time machine to bring some back for us.
    quite a few of mine are ebay pics.. i have found alot of the ones i was missing.. im deployed to iraq so it will be awile before i get more pics. still looking for a few of the classics im missing.. most notably the mrp highroller and the aristocraft wildebeest.. i have just as many old tamiyas a few clods blackfoots to be honest the only new ones i have now are a txt 1 and soon a juggernuat.. and there not even new. guess i just know what i like and stick with them.. sad part is im only 23 i shouldnt like these...lol but i love em.

William Guest

Well thank you for serving, I didn't know. :tmb

As for the high roller, they do pop up on e-pay every now and then. I have never even seen the aristocraft, I don't even remember it in magazines.

Post Thanks / Like

-If you're a member of RCCA's site, (the access to every issue), you can read up on the ol' Grizzly when it was brand-new, & all the others too:tmb

Post Thanks / Like

what issue, I have some pdf of a couple please?

Post Thanks / Like

DON"T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE VARICOM BIG GRIZZLY!!! I was the biggest......I want to swear but I'll control myself.......piece of junk ever to be put forth on the RC world!

I bought one brand new in '86(I think) and it would break on almost every run. The one way bearings in the front wheels couldn't even hold up under stock power. The rear hexes weren't splined or pin driven, they used the friction of the metal on metal contact of the flanges on the hexes and the stub shafts to tranfer power....FRICTION!!!!

That truck almost ended my relationship with hobby grade RCs but thankfully the Clodbuster came out the next year. If I were you I'd keep it the way it is, put it on the shelf, and just enjoy it as a collectable shelf queen. There's a reason why these trucks weren't in production very long and why they are so rare today. Everytime I think about it my blood boils.....I gotta go run one of my Clods or TXTs so I feel better...................
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=HawnMT;137890]DON"T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE VARICOM BIG GRIZZLY!!! I was the biggest......I want to swear but I'll control myself.......piece of junk ever to be put forth on the RC world!

I bought one brand new in '86(I think) and it would break on almost every run. The one way bearings in the front wheels couldn't even hold up under stock power. The rear hexes weren't splined or pin driven, they used the friction of the metal on metal contact of the flanges on the hexes and the stub shafts to tranfer power....FRICTION!!!!

That truck almost ended my relationship with hobby grade RCs but thankfully the Clodbuster came out the next year. If I were you I'd keep it the way it is, put it on the shelf, and just enjoy it as a collectable shelf queen. There's a reason why these trucks weren't in production very long and why they are so rare today. Everytime I think about it my blood boils.....I gotta go run one of my Clods or TXTs so I feel better...................[/QUOTE
    WOW..what a worthless design for the hexes.. i didnt know that. maybe ill buy another one and try to modify it..thats usually what happens.. look at my kyosho collection. it started as it would be cool to have a clod and a usa1 then it balloned into, wonder if i can get every 1980s monster truck made. as fo the aristocraft wildebeest it is huge.. i would say taller and longer than a clod.. but the tires arent as big. ill find a linkto one.

Post Thanks / Like

What's funny is I only know of one other person who owned/ran one(I know of others who have collected them but not ran them), and he ranked it as the worst RC of all time too in a thread about bad RCs. He's a mod over on scale4x4 and everytime the subject of the Big Grizzly comes up we both have to relive the nightmare. :laugh
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Post Thanks / Like

-WillG, I looked, it's the Summer 86' issue, (on the last page of the historical archives {pg. 24}, issue is right there)

-there's some on the first pg. of this:
    http://www.google.com/images?q=Varic...tart=0&ndsp=20
    Last edited by SavedONE; 06-05-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

agh :ack I have the fall 86 on pdf
    has a royal ripper in it I'll read that to get my fix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    What's funny is I only know of one other person who owned/ran one(I know of others who have collected them but not ran them), and he ranked it as the worst RC of all time too in a thread about bad RCs. He's a mod over on scale4x4 and everytime the subject of the Big Grizzly comes up we both have to relive the nightmare. :laugh
    if it is that bad i will just have to shelf it..lol i have a brushless txt to smash around in so iwill still get my fix..lol im gonna try to convery a ofna monster pirate to electric. im gonna have to fabricate a few things but i think it can be done.
    we sleep safe in our beds beacuse rough men stand ready to visit violence on to those who would do us harm..

Post Thanks / Like

pirate shouldn't be hard as many ofnas have conversion kits available so someting should fit.

Post Thanks / Like

-WillG, that info. about the Varicom Big Grizzly is wrong, The magazine I told you does have it on the cover, but inside there is a big Nitro buggy by the same name. Like I've said before, they need to take 20 minutes (tops), & put the correct issue cover, w/ the correct issue. I checked about 5 mins. ago, I thought I'd check this TRUCK out, but you know they didn't fix it, I've even sent e-mails & told the guy in the "Members Only" forum :bang
    -tho, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel, along w/ free RCCA digital issues of the latest mags., the special SCT issue is free for Members, so it's not all bad:willy

Post Thanks / Like

O man where to start lol. Like Hawn said it was a very very bad truck. Got mine when they first came out for xmas. I was 10 or 11. Built it took it out and the wheels would just spin on the axles. My dad done something and got them to hold. Then the real fun started. The tranny would strip the lower gear where the out drives came out of it. Called them they said they would fix it. Boxed it up sent it back. Months later it came back new tranny. It ran for maybe 2 packs and done same thing. Called them they sent another tranny. It dome same thing. My dad toot it apart and figured out the nylon gear was spreading and made a sleeve to go around it to hold it tight on the shaft that problem fixed. Then I broke front knuckles stripped wheels out broke front axles and finally the chassis. Took it apart to brace the chassis and my dad was looking at it and said I think we can get that other tranny in there and have 2 motors. We made brackets and stretched the rear end back mounted one tranny to run rear end and left one tranny in stock chassis to run front. It was pretty fast for back in the day but still broke easy. The next year or so the Clod came along and I got one of these and have never looked back. I bought a stock one a few years ago just to have but I still have the parts to convert it to a 2 tranny truck may do that some day and just put it back on the shelf lol. I would never sugest anybody of running one of these trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

The wildebeest used the same chassis/parts as all the aristo-crap er.. craft vehicles (Kangaroo 2wd and dolphin 4wd buggies) very very very low quality/brittle plastics, soft metal gears and clunky electronics. be afraid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast