Members do not see advertisements
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MatoonPlatoon View Post
    My first hobby grade model was a World Engines Rock Buster:tmb Still have it all back to original now down to the printed cicuit board looking MSC and the 380 motor.

That led to a Tamiya Frog, Marui Big Bear, Tamiya Blackfoot, Lunch Boxes, Clod Busters, Associated RC10 (original gold tub 6 gear trans), BoLink pan cars...........

Jerry
    Sounds pretty similiar to me except no clod till much later and they werent like $1000. Got any shots of the rock buster? pretty sure its what I had but cant picture it...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Savage03 View Post
    Got any shots of the rock buster? pretty sure its what I had but cant picture it...

The World Engines Rock Buster was a Grasshopper clone. There were two versions of the Rock Buster. The car's design was sold and then reproduced by Academy Minicraft under the name Road Runner. It's the same car but with slightly different decals. As with the Rockbuster there were two versions of the Road Runner.

The cars use a Hornet style rear suspension set up and have anodized blue aluminium oil shocks on the rear. The front had a very primative form of a sway-bar. The Rockbuster came with Hornet style tires on chrome wheels. The Rockbuster 2 had slightly different decals and bigger (Wild One/Fox) sized gold plated wheels and tires.
    Measure twice, cut one, then throw it away and try again.

Yup thats the one I had! remember the board going bad and my grandma let me hit up the tower catalog and order hornet parts to make it "real" lol. This was back in the late 80's mind you so she was a little shocked when the ups man arrived :shk but she supported it cause I was good kid :laugh

This is making me miss my old rustler, and also making me think about a resurrection build. Granted its really not a "vintage racer" but I did race it for 2 years as a pretty stock truck with just motor/esc combo and different suspension setups. Hmmm, off to flea bay to look for a chassis setup, also gonna have to search the internets to look for a clear original rustler body to paint up like I had it back then!

Yup thats the one I had! remember the board going bad and my grandma let me hit up the tower catalog and order hornet parts to make it "real" lol. This was back in the late 80's mind you so she was a little shocked when the ups man arrived :shk but she supported it cause I was good kid :laugh
    Ah yes, back in the days of C.O.D. Used to mail order my skateboards that way back then. Those were the days.... :wnk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim511 View Post
    This is making me miss my old rustler, and also making me think about a resurrection build. Granted its really not a "vintage racer" but I did race it for 2 years as a pretty stock truck with just motor/esc combo and different suspension setups. Hmmm, off to flea bay to look for a chassis setup, also gonna have to search the internets to look for a clear original rustler body to paint up like I had it back then!
    Sounds like a plan. Good luck! :tmb

7. Default

Jim511 - RJSPeed still makes the old Bolink Rustler bodies, if you want that old-school look. I always liked it over the stock Rustler body:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWBR2&P=7
    Team Associated - Reedy - Panther Tires - DE Racing - PT Raceway

my rc addiction began here:

then my folks got me a grasshopper for xmas one year.. I promply shattered the rear end of that, and took the rear end from the rhino and put it on the grasshopper.. thus started my rc modding. I beat the **** out of that car and it held up well.. the rhino rear axle/diff + motor was very solid.. I put a different motor on it though.. eventually.. diamond motor with black label.. I wish now I had kept it..
    HPI Wheely King 4x4 / Tamiya F350 High Lift / Traxxas Stampede 4x4
    Associated RC18R x2 and RC18T

Dam theres one I forgot about! Their was a fiero in there along the rc timeline to.

Smile

Here is the original Kyosho catalog page for the Scorpion/Beetle.

The Scorpion was my first R/C car back around 1984. I let that one go, but have recently picked-up another....

11. Default

I had an original Blackfoot in 1989-90 that I raced at a local track until everyone started showing up with Losi's and Traxxas Hawks. I did pretty good for a while with some mods, but eventually I couldn't keep up. I had an extended Sassy Chassis Clod. I also had a Schumacher Couger Buggy in the early 90's with the belt drive transmission. I wish I still had them all.

:shk

13. Default

Suddenly I want to buy an Icarus . . . . . . .
    Team Associated - Reedy - Panther Tires - DE Racing - PT Raceway

If you want one of those better spring for the motor to :tmb:laugh:bling

my first real rc was a blackfoot back when they came out.
    broke it and kinda lost interest.

then ten or so years later a found parts to fix it, then got a couple of tamiya s10's.

then i bought an awesome JPS chassisd clod from this fruitloop that worked at my LHS!
    :wnk

ever since ive been hooked on rc again!

fruitloop = Twisted8

Quote Originally Posted by carcrusher View Post
    Suddenly I want to buy an Icarus . . . . . . .
    Ya... and a headband! :tong

If you want one of those better spring for the motor to :tmb:laugh:bling
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...C/00f0fdc1.jpg
    helllloooo tushie.
    HPI Wheely King 4x4 / Tamiya F350 High Lift / Traxxas Stampede 4x4
    Associated RC18R x2 and RC18T

Default Primitive instructions and pressure sensitive tape....

Okay, who remembers when servos were held in with "servo tape"? :tong

These are the Kyosho version instructions. I have the Cox version and they are the bare bones instructions of how to build a Scorpion. :laugh Here is my go at using "pressure sensitive tape" to mount my servo in the chassis.

Holding the car together with tape sure made the cars light back in the day. Talk about simple. When completed, the car looks like it is missing some major components that it may need to work properly. :shk
    Last edited by Arcocustom; 04-05-2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Add punctuation.

I Like the SUPERRR long steering rod from the servo to the bell crank, not to mention the rod connects to the left end of the bell crank, but the other end goes backwards toward the linkage lol. Good thing rc car design has come ALONGGGG way since then

My First Real R/C was a Traxxas Hawk I got for christmas in 1990 or 91. I still have it and I am in the process of finding parts for it. if anyone has any leads on any good places to get parts. Or, any info on what other Traxxas R/C's use the same parts, LMK. I have been looking on ebay but not really anything significant there.
    2 Clods, 1 stock one not. CC Slash, 3.3 Revo, 1/5 Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by bpare207 View Post
    I Like the SUPERRR long steering rod from the servo to the bell crank, not to mention the rod connects to the left end of the bell crank, but the other end goes backwards toward the linkage lol. Good thing rc car design has come ALONGGGG way since then
    In it's day the Scorpion was state-of-the-art. The Scorpion, Turbo Scorpion, and Tomahawk have won many, many 2WD buggy races and championships.

I believe the man that designed the Scorpion now works at HPI and is the designer of the HPI BAJA 5B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast