Members do not see advertisements

Thread: RatKing

Default RatKing

It has been quite long time without monster truck and now I decided to make something. SMT10 would have been nice but money situtation is not so good at this moment.

So I took my SCX10 and made old school "double" frame. Ok, it is not scale accurate because I don't have leaf springs etc.

GCM front motor mount and CMS. Ok, I didn't like that servo in chassis so moved it to axle. Much better, maybe not so good lookin though.

Roller with Jconcepts wheels and tyres:

And here we are now:

It's very nice truck to drive but wow I need to get better shock, add some kind of sway bar, open diffs, add some power etc.

AWESOME truck!!! I love the concept/theme. Looks great!!

Follows
    Following

FANTASTIC! I love how you have made your own version of Grave Digger grandma truck so to speak all rusted up so cool

You have the retro monster truck stance spot on what wheelbase are you using?
    Alex

Thank you for the comments! Wheelbase is roughly 12" at this moment.

And here is one inside picture, here you can see quite well that current wheelbase:

Follows
    Following

This looks fantastic, great work. I've been wanting to build an SCX10 based monster for a while. That frame looks great when used for a classic monster truck build.

Follows
    Following

Now that's cool looking monster truck!!!!
    Tom

Clod Buster, Lack of Motivation (Jugg) Build, TLT 1, Blitzer Beetle, Frog, Sand Scorcher

Thanks again for kind comments! I just opened front diff and it's steers much better. Gears from HPI.

New place to battery. Still need to make some kind of cover:

More electrics:

Interior seems to be quite tight

And here is cover for the battery:

And this time pick-up version. It might be that I like this version even more!!

By the way, have you seen this new Tamiya Rat King Figure

Last edited by neruda; 09-03-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks! First 3S test run ended quite fast

Second test run and I lost transmission... Now waiting for inspiration (and money so that I can buy better parts to transmission).

New transmission arrived:

Still missing pinion so only few inside shots with Camaro:

Damn this is nice truck to drive

This time it ended like this

Follows
    Following

Man I love this truck, looks awesome. Even the crash looks real. Do you happen to have any video of it running? I just built a monster truck out of an old SCX10 and I love it. Running 2.2 SMT10 tires and 4WS. I have a lot of positive caster on the axles and its causing some steering issues, need to lengthen my lower links. I noticed yours are at an even more extreme angle than mine, are you have any steering problems? Mine lifts the inside front wheel on hard turns.

I posted mine over on Clodtalk: http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=31050

Follows
    Following

RatKing is so cool its off any measurable scale! possibly my favourite truck I have seen all year.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by 87lc2 View Post
    Man I love this truck, looks awesome. Even the crash looks real. Do you happen to have any video of it running? I just built a monster truck out of an old SCX10 and I love it. Running 2.2 SMT10 tires and 4WS. I have a lot of positive caster on the axles and its causing some steering issues, need to lengthen my lower links. I noticed yours are at an even more extreme angle than mine, are you have any steering problems? Mine lifts the inside front wheel on hard turns.

I posted mine over on Clodtalk: http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=31050

Thanks! I don't have any good video yet. I haven't got any big steering issues. I have servo on axle, 4 links, simple sway bar and open diff in front. Nice to see another good looking SCX10 monster!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAVETXT-1 View Post
    RatKing is so cool its off any measurable scale! possibly my favourite truck I have seen all year.
    Thanks! This means lot to me It's nice to know that there are other rat-style-fans also