Members do not see advertisements
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Follows
    Following

Default TXT setup for mudding

I've recently been doing a lot of trail running/mudding with my Clod and its tons of fun. The only issue is having the motors on the axles. Needless to say I go through them a lot quicker than I'd like.

I got to thinking, how would a TXT do with mudding considering the motor is obviously not on the axles and mounted higher in the chassis. I have a few extra trucks around and was thinking of converting one of my TXT-2s into a mud/trail truck. It currently has stock chassis, stock suspension, axle mounted servos, and a Castle 1/8 waterproof brushless system.

Has anyone used a TXT chassis truck for mud/trail duty? How do the axles hold up?

My plans are:
    -Open up the axles and make sure everything is coated in marine grease to repel water as much as possible.
    -Lock both differentials - How is this typically done on the TXT axles? JB Weld? Does anyone make a locker that can be removed?

That's really it considering my motor/ESC are already waterproof. My current Clod mud truck is a stock chassis truck with 4-link setup, axle mounted servos and locked axles. It's pretty unstoppable other than roasting a motor every few outings.

Any input appreciated.

Follows
    Following

I built a TXT comp crawler many many years ago and did do some mudding with my TXT MTs, but never did any trail running with any of them. The biggest issue I could see is the massive amount of torque twist the TXT makes (ot was a big issue for crawlers).

As for locking the diffs, some manufacturers like RC4WD did make a spool at one time but I'd imagine those are hard to come by nowadays. Most people locked them using JB Weld in the diffs. Here's a tip I've learned from unlocking many previously JB Welded diffs, don't fully clean the diffs before locking them. Leaving a thing coat of grease over the diff housing and internal gears prevents the JB Weld from sticking, making it easier to unlock it later. Also if you don't mix the JB Weld right (putting less hardener) it will actually crumble off and preserve the gears so you can use them again.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

Not too worried about the torque twist as I wouldn't really be crawling with it, but I can see how that would be a major issue when crawling. I put a wanted post up for the RC4WD lockers, but I know its a long shot to find them. Great tip about leaving some grease on the gears, maybe I'll go that route. I just want to be able to unlock them at some point if I need to.

Did you have any other issues when submerging the axles in water? I guess its no different than submerging Clod axles, haven't had any major issues with that at this point. I'll just coat everything in marine grease and hope for the best. I do have the servo's mounted on the axles as well, but I havent had any issues with servos on the Clod either.

I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Hoping the torque twist wont be a problem, guess there's only one way to find out.

Follows
    Following

One of the best things about Tamiya solid axles is that they use an outer bearing that basically seals the axles from mud. I never had a problem submerging my TLT axles in the ocean and my TXT axles in mud.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    One of the best things about Tamiya solid axles is that they use an outer bearing that basically seals the axles from mud. I never had a problem submerging my TLT axles in the ocean and my TXT axles in mud.
    That's excellent news. This might turn out to be an even better mud truck than my Clod. Just getting sick of going through motors in the Clod. No matter how thoroughly I clean/lubricate them they dont last very long when running under water/mud all the time. Not crazy about having the servos on the axles of the TXT, but I'll try to waterproof them the best I can. I dont think there is anywhere I can relocate them to that would be worthwhile.

Thanks for the info Hawn, I appreciate it as always.