Members do not see advertisements
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Juggernaut noise problem (Please HELP!)

Hi All!
    I have been building Tamiya kits since ages. A while ago I bought a used Juggernaut 2. It was in really nice condition. To be sure I took it apart and checked everithing. I ballraced it and put it back together.
    Today I took the baby for a test drive but I've been shocked becouse I heard a strange noise from the gearbox. Not too bad, but unfamilier for me. This noise sounds like some kind of friction and it goes untill half throttle. Above that the noise suddenly stops and goes smooth without sound. Its not the sounds when gears brake. Diffs ok. I was very careful when building. Doubble checked everithing. Put thread lock where supposed to. Checked pinion mesh... etc etc...
    I heard that Juggys are a bit noisy. Could it be that or is it something else? Has anybody else had a similar problem?
    Thanks in advance,
    TDanny

Follows
    Following

I did the same with my used Jugg 2 when I bought it years ago; took everything apart to check, grease, and install new bearings. I was surprised when I got it running that it was pretty noisy as you describe. At this point it's just a shelf queen and I never run it so not sure how much help I can be, but wanted to let you know I thought the same. Very noisy when compared with mt TXT-1, TXT-2, etc. If I get a chance in the next few days maybe I'll run it and see if I can track it down. Never really bothered me as it never gets used.

Thank you for the quick reply. The strange thing is that it only makes the noise to half throttle. Above half throttle it sudenly stops and becomes quiet. Thats why I guess that it is not gear problem. I read somewhere that it could be becouse of the two motors are too close to eachother and their magnetic field makes a kind of interference or something. When I hold it in hands it also shakes a little. I used papers to mesh the pinions so that must be ok. The only thing I did not had in the used car was a 13x6mm spacer wash which supposed to be on the drive shaft portion gear in the transmission. But no way that the big noise is becouse of that washer. That's been removed later from the TXT and it is not even mentioned in the manual. Maybe I'll have to try live with this noise I guess. To be sure, I ordered a complete transmission to replace the old if it explodes
    In my opinion the Juggy is a great runner and one of the most "fun to drive" cars which I have ever had. It's a real vintage crusher. Hope that it'll be fine in the future. Made some small jumps but only from sidewalks so that cant be a problem.

Noise problem is probably the result from the missing rubber o-rings on the spur gear shaft, the last topmost, central one before the motor pinions. The old TXT had a metal spacer, but that tended to eat the bearings. The TXT2 Agrios has a couple of 5mm rubber o-rings as spacers on the spur gear shaft.

It stops the spur from walking back&forth on its shaft (which makes a ruckus), without locking the bearings when torque increases.
    Last edited by Jay-Em; 5 Days Ago at 07:24 PM. Reason: Taipoh

nouse problem is probably the result from the missing rubber o-rings on the spur gear shaft, the last topmost, central one before the motor pinions. The old TXT had a metal spacer, but that tended to eat the bearings. The TXT2 Agrios has a couple of 5mm rubber o-rings as spacers on the spur gear shaft.

It stops the spur from walking back&forth on its shaft (which makes a ruckus), without locking the bearings when torque increases.