Members do not see advertisements
    Follows
    Following

Default Picked up a Mad Force today

Have always heard good things about these trucks and happened to see an almost new MF Kruiser VE 2.0 on Craigslist and decided to pick it up. Truck is completely stock for now and haven't even run it yet. Seems like a very well built simple truck, should be fun.

Going to run it stock in the morning to see how it does. Thinking I'll leave it mostly stock for now, maybe add the TTR steering kit & traction bars.

One thing I definitely want to do is put on a real monster truck tire. I believe the stock wheels are 17mm hex, is there any way to get clod wheels or better yet, JConcepts tribute wheels on these trucks? Would really love to run the Tribute wheel & Firestorm tires.

Follows
    Following

Default VE

I think I saw that VE for sale (buy it now) that was a great deal!

Follows
    Following

glad to have another madforce owner around they are great trucks ! on wheel/tire mod hit tweaked tad up he just posted a pic and description on how to do this on a FB site yesterday ... https://www.facebook.com/tad.goad

Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Do not go gentle into that good night ....

Follows
    Following

Unfortunately I don't have Facebook so couldn't see his post. Already started modding, got my TTR traction bars and steering mount today. When the truck was stock I lost the front driveshaft nearly every time I went full throttle. The traction bars seem to help keeping the shaft in the truck, but I'm getting a popping noise on hard acceleration. Maybe need to upgrade shafts? Doesn't make a lot of sense on a stock truck.

Painted a spare HPI 79 Ford body I had lying around, came out pretty good.

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

I had the nitro version with an OS racing engine, it was insane.

Follows
    Following

I know a lot of people like these trucks and say they're durable, but it's been the biggest piece of crap truck I've owned in a while. My TXTs stay together better than this thing. It cant keep the front drive shaft in place, spits it out nearly right away on each run. Took one jump with the truck (about 2-3 feet in the air) and it broke one of the cast rear knuckles right at the steering lockout. Found the parts pretty cheap on Ebay, but hardly have any interest in running this thing anymore, poorly designed and built truck.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by 87lc2 View Post
    I know a lot of people like these trucks and say they're durable, but it's been the biggest piece of crap truck I've owned in a while. My TXTs stay together better than this thing. It cant keep the front drive shaft in place, spits it out nearly right away on each run. Took one jump with the truck (about 2-3 feet in the air) and it broke one of the cast rear knuckles right at the steering lockout. Found the parts pretty cheap on Ebay, but hardly have any interest in running this thing anymore, poorly designed and built truck.
    While I disagree with your overall assessment of the truck I can't deny the problems you've had as they are somewhat common. The front driveshaft popping is very common and I don't get how Kyosho has gone this long without addressing it. The knuckle problem is a hit or miss. It seems if you hit it a certain way the arm will snap like a twig but in most cases they hold up pretty well. Although I do prefer the older style knuckles as they were much more solid.

When people start raving over the MF's durability, I try to pull it by saying that it's mostly racers who are running it on 2 or 3S with less power who are saying it. On 4S the truck is about average as far as durability. The biggest problem is the suspension is too stiff out of the box (like most solid axle trucks) and if you lighten up the truck by running a single battery it makes the problem worse.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

I calmed down a bit since I wrote that post, was pretty irritated with the truck at that point. I ordered a set of knuckles today and should have the truck back up and running by the weekend. Just after I placed the order I was doing some reading and noticed that RC4WD makes aluminum knuckles for the MF. If I keep having issues I'll order a set of them, but I think as you said I landed the truck just "right" and it snapped easily.

My real annoyance with the truck is that front shaft. I have the TTR traction bars and really hoped that would help keep the shaft in the truck, but they haven't really done anything to help in that regard. What are some other options to keep the front shaft from popping out? I guess for now I'll either safety wire it to the chassis or paint it a bright color so it's easier to find...

Follows
    Following

My real annoyance with the truck is that front shaft. I have the TTR traction bars and really hoped that would help keep the shaft in the truck, but they haven't really done anything to help in that regard. What are some other options to keep the front shaft from popping out? I guess for now I'll either safety wire it to the chassis or paint it a bright color so it's easier to find...

Sadly once the front shafts pops once, it's easier for it to continue to pop. The TTR traction bars have always been a big help for me, but there's a few things you can do to help. One is lower the ride so the axles don't drop down so much. What's making it the shaft pop is the axle is dropping down low and then the arm is twisting the axle so the shaft can pop out of the cups. SO limiting how far down the axle drops helps. Also put a small piece of tubing or even a small spring in the front axle cup to "push" the shaft into the transmission. Third is to use a universal joint shaft. Kyosho makes one that fits and I used to use it but I forgot the model number.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

All you gotta do is scroll down to the next post below you, on my post (Blacked out MF) you can see exactly how to fix your problem with pics.

Unfortantly I stopped that thread before I got all the upgrades and specs up. I was just having a fun time loading pics.

Maybe If i get the time and theres any intreist I will update that thread.

Follows
    Following

keep a look out on ebay for MIP Hpi savage driveshaft ends they are 8mm and will work with mad force axles.

and if you can find some MIP driveshafts will fix that problem
    Kyosho Scorpion

Follows
    Following

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely take a look at your thread. Got the replacement knuckles today and got the broken one fixed. Also put some more tension on the front springs and put a small piece of rubber hose on the input shaft of the front axle before installing the driveshaft. Only got to run it for about 5 minutes before I had to leave the house but had absolutely no issues with the shaft, truck ran awesome. I could always tell when it was going to popo out because it would start clicking. None of that even under full throttle from a stop. Hopefully that problem is fixed for now, thanks again for the suggestions HawnMT.

Plan on running the truck a good bit tomorrow. From the short run I had today I think my next move is to install the TTR steering relocation kit I purchased. One of the stock steering links is a bit bent and the entire system has a ton of play in it.

Follows
    Following

Just wanted to update after running the truck through a full set of packs yesterday. HawnMT, I can't thank you enough for that simple suggestion of using a spacer for the driveshaft. I ran the truck in the yard and up the street doing 20' wheelies and the shaft didn't budge! Not I can fully appreciate why people have such love for this truck, it is downright awesome when running well. So much power and performance, I love it! Didn't do much jumping with it, but hopefully it does well in that department when I get a chance.

I really need to relocate the servo, the center drag link is bowed pretty good and the steering is just a lot looser than I'd like. I have the TTR link mounted steering setup and was planning on using the stock servo for now with a Kimbrough HD saver. Do you guys usually upgrade the servo at some point, or will the stock one work better when relocated?

Follows
    Following

Do you guys usually upgrade the servo at some point, or will the stock one work better when relocated?

Glad I was able to help.

The stock servo does a decent job for a basher, I actually still use it on one of mine. The swap over to the TTR Eliminator steering setup will tighten up the entire steering system so give the stock servo a shot first if you don't need the performance of a stronger faster servo.

Follows
    Following

Sounds good, I'll swap to the TTR system and give the stock servo a chance. I've run the truck a bit more and still no further issues. The power is just crazy. I have just over an acre of flat grass in my yard and it's almost not enough room for this monster. Goes from end to end in no time. I'll have to get it out to a bigger open space at some point and let it loose. It really takes some skill to drive well with the dual batteries, you have to be fairly delicate with the throttle input.

I ran the crap out of my Mad Force, big jumps, hill climbing- only thing that ever broke was one steering knuckle.

Follows
    Following

Once I did HawnMTs fix on the front driveshaft I have had zero issues other than one broken knuckle. It's been a really good truck since and is a blast to drive.