Members do not see advertisements

Thread: Marui Big Bear

Follows
    Following

Default Marui Big Bear

Not much activity on the "vintage other" section so I figured I'd post a pic of the the Marui Big Bear I picked up recently. I had one when I was a kid and I remember it not really being the best RC, but I still have been wanting to get one for my collection. All in all, this one is in pretty good condition, it's missing the speed controller and the tires are dry rotted a bit. Not sure if I''m just gonna stick it on the shelf for display or get it running again.

Follows
    Following

nice example you found

If you run it watch out for the trans melting down. I remember running it and something in the trans got hot and started melting because one of the shafts not being bearing supported well? Something like that. I just know it wa a fairly common thing when running for long periods.
    __solids rule _________________________ My Email

Follows
    Following

Thanks William, I'm not sure how much I'll actually run it. Definitely going to go through it and make sure everything is in good shape first.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
    Thanks William, I'm not sure how much I'll actually run it. Definitely going to go through it and make sure everything is in good shape first.
    About the only issue I had with mine was the ceramic breaking off the resistor. The mechanical speed controller is another thing. Other than that I never had any real problems at all.

I have one also which I am restoring.

Mine not finished.

I was young, and dumb enough tu cut-out that slot for the battery wire.
    It made the chassis buckle in the battery holder. Meccano to the rescue..

The gears were sturdy enough for the included pseudo black-motor, if I recall correctly. The MSC was a whole other problem, and it burnt too easy, or -indeed- cracked the resistor. However, that went for about any MSC that was at the market in the 80's. They burnt, ?r they got dirty. In both cases it meant the end of running.

The Big Bear had only one r?al flaw imho, and that was the steering arms. They tended to throw off the steering ball connectors when jumping. Pretty anoying.

For the rest, I drove it until no parts were available anymore, and sold it as a reasonably well preserved runner.

Follows
    Following

I remember these tires being the perfect size. I wish somebody currently made a tire and wheel combo this size, would be perfect for the axial smt10.
    __solids rule _________________________ My Email

Default Marui Big Bear

Mine is finished

This truck is what got me started in rc as a kid, still have my big bear, but it is really beyond repair. the tires are so rotted and the plastic is all busted up, but can't bring myself to throw it out ,was my fist rc .