Members do not see advertisements
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Follows
    Following

As a whole its a cool setup but its still not for me with nothing beefed up over all prior parts they keep using.

I dont care for the thin axle shafts at all!

Follows
    Following

For all you guys that are buying these and don't want the tires and rims, let me know because I'll take them. They seem dead on as far as size. They look more like Bigfoot's buffed down Firestones than BKTs, which is perfect for me.

Axial did a lot of things right for the truck. Trans is good (32p double slipper spur), great driveshafts (WB-8 HD), Chassis is great, comes with rear swaybar, and the shocks looks good too (look like the OG AX-10 shocks (which I love) w/ aluminum bodies but without the nitride coated shafts ). Still disappointed with the axle choice, and I'm not sure why they went with the Yeti trailing arms (it made the wheelbase longer than it needs to be) since the shock position isn't that far off from just axle mounting it. But overall a great truck.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    For all you guys that are buying these and don't want the tires and rims, let me know because I'll take them. They seem dead on as far as size. They look more like Bigfoot's buffed down Firestones than BKTs, which is perfect for me.
    I agree. I'm going to grab a few sets of these tires. Too many people are hung up on Clod tires being the be all end all of the hobby, when in fact, they're just too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by HawnMT View Post
    Still disappointed with the axle choice, and I'm not sure why they went with the Yeti trailing arms (it made the wheelbase longer than it needs to be) since the shock position isn't that far off from just axle mounting it. But overall a great truck.
    That aside, I feel this is the greatest attempt at a monster truck since the Tamiya Juggernaut and TXT and Kyosho Twin Force. I'm going to show it to my brother since he's been wanting something less fragile and easier to work on than a Clod.
    Last edited by Supreme Reign; 07-30-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    I am the rocks of the Eternal Shore. Crash against me and be broken!

Follows
    Following

I wonder how it would look with the Pro-Line 2.2 Destroyers?
    Pede, Pede, Pede, 4x4 Pede, 6x6 Pede, Pede in pieces, Clod, Clod, Clod in pieces, TLT Crawler, TLT Crawler, TLT in pieces, WK, Slash, Mini Rash, 4x4 Slash, Twin Force, Mad Force Kruiser, Wild Dagger, Wild Dagger, Hummer, 1/16 Mustang VXL, SCX-10, TXT in pieces, Vaterra Blazer, Huey, Huey in pieces, Traxxas Quadcopter, etc...

Follows
    Following

Darn, Kent beat me to it, just stopped in to post the video LOL https://youtu.be/bJgq9Qf07MY
    __solids rule _________________________Hi

The yeti links were used because they already produce them to save on cost. The link mounted shocks performed better than the axle mounted shocks. You can blame everyone that has built a monster truck using ar60 axles for the choice they made on the ar60 axle. Almost every monster truck build using axial parts had that axle under them.

I expect and hope for this to be a great seller so only better things will come.

I know a few people don't like clod size tires but it is always what people want so I am sure that will be one of the first mods people do to this truck.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Tad View Post
    The yeti links were used because they already produce them to save on cost. The link mounted shocks performed better than the axle mounted shocks. You can blame everyone that has built a monster truck using ar60 axles for the choice they made on the ar60 axle. Almost every monster truck build using axial parts had that axle under them.

Link mounted shocks perform better because they put leverage on the shocks so they "soften" them up. But on the SMT setup the shocks are mounted near the end of the links anyway so it not like they are getting a whole bunch of leverage put on them (like Clod racers do because the shocks mount halfway up the link). IMO they should've just run softer springs and lower weight oil and direct mounted them to the axle with standard aluminum links. It's not like they are gaining much suspension travel either, and they don't even need to because the shocks are 120mm class anyway.

The reason people use AR-60s for MT builds is because they are building Clod style builds, and even then they are too wide. This is a 2.2 truck. Also a lot of guys who build AR-60 monsters are under the misconception that AR-60s are stronger when if fact they pretty much use the same internals as SCX-10 axles. For an off the shelf build, I would've rather seen them use SCX-10 axles with wide offset wheels.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1239&dateline=1394674  032

Follows
    Following

It's sad to see a truck being picked apart before it's even released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Juggatron, Minitron, slash 4x4 platinum

Follows
    Following

Let me reiterate my point that this is a great truck. But if people are wondering why I have some criticism for it it's because I think Axial could've done it better still. They had a chance to set an entirely new standard in solid axle MTs but instead they chose to ride the line between 2.2 scale and Clod size, in an effort to appease the small number of Clod guys. Why is this important? Because we missed a chance to truly start anew....

I'll use Shortcourse trucks as an example. SCs are basically buggies with truck bodies on them, and yet when the Slah appeared everyone went nuts over them. One reason is because they actually looked like trucks that they see racing in the real world (scale). But another big reason they took off is because people could race them as is. And that's because in the early days of SC racing there were no rules for SC so they got to start anew (but as always it has become more complicated over time). And in the end it's because tons of people went out and raced them that the SC market and aftermarket exploded.

Now with the SMT it does give us a new baseline off the shelf truck that newbies can go out and buy but it doesn't really give us that new standard that we really need. The way it is now it even looks like it was drawn up for small Clod tires like the Rumble and Destroyer. And because of that it is more likely than not that racing organizations will shoe horn this truck into their existing classes rather than make a whole new class for them. And even if they do I doubt it'll last because of the natural tendency of Clod guys to do things the Clod way. And once Clod tires become the standard for this truck then we're close to being back in the vicious parts upgrade cycle that we're in with most solid axle MTs now because Axial axles a hard time holding up in Clod sized builds without a lot of upgrades.

Most do use the ar60 because of the clod size build but even with 2.2 tires the scx-10 axles are to narrow.

The link mounted shocks still perform better than them mounted to the axle with what they make at this time. There is a few other reasons why they done it but we won't go there. It is easy to see this truck was built using 90 percent of parts they already make. This isn't a truck to be all trucks. This is perfect for the first timer. There will never be a ruck built that most people won't pick apart.

Other than the tires I love the truck.

Here's a little photo comparison I did. I shortened the wheelbase and lowered the body a little. If I had to estimate, I'd say the wheelbase is 12" on the mod version instead of 13.9" stock. To me, this is how it should have looked. I will probably still pick one up at some point... maybe after they come out with a black frame. Personally, I would have rather seen the SCX10 axles as well, and a wheel with very little back spacing. Then the overall width would be very close to what it is now.

I think it looks just ok. close but not for me. looks more like entry level basher for the kidos. It dose have a good looking frame and sway bars as mention already. But really?

Screw the ar60 and sx10 axle's they are both junk for anything bigger than 2.2's

I personaly would only invest in a new truck from any maker if comes with new and only for monster truck type lead slug axles , something you can just bash all day and night jumping and crashing.
    Like a narrow mad force diff with a narrow thick and tall hosing maybe with something new like real planitary gears units or at least some massive kuckles...

I am currently switch everything to mad force parts so I can actuly injoy my RCMT's, so when I saw this it was a big snooze fest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Badclod View Post
    It's sad to see a truck being picked apart before it's even released.

I thought it would generally get a better reception. Mainly for the fact that Axial finally made a solid axle monster truck. Yea, they used alot of off the shelf parts. But it's still a solid axle licensed monster truck. It will give people a good starting point. It will be easy to swap to clods. The chassis looks good. Hopefully the make a black chassis.

Not everyone has time to piece together a whole setup. Then theres the chassis problem. Theres no easy way to get a realistic looking chassis without building a tuber. This fixes that for the most part. And it Atleast gives us a licensed body to run. Hopefully we'll get a few more.

A couple guys on Facebook already received their SMT10 Diggers today, and mounted the Proline Destroyers.

I hate to sound negative, but if you look at that head on shot, you can see how the chassis kicks out on each side, going down to skid plate/tranny mount. I'm kind of disappointed in that aspect. With the construction of the chassis, it will be very difficult to modify.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolDude View Post
    I hate to sound negative, but if you look at that head on shot, you can see how the chassis kicks out on each side, going down to skid plate/tranny mount. I'm kind of disappointed in that aspect. With the construction of the chassis, it will be very difficult to modify.
    Axial stated they made the ''skid'' wide because the links geometry being wider made the truck more stable. What it does is the lower links running more parallel make the axle twist less (think articulation). With less twist or articulating the truck handles so much better. If for example you took a barbarian chassis and widened it at the lower link area you'll find less need to have a swaybar.

I'm all for correcting the geometry. I'd rather the chassis be like it is, than narrowed and need all kinds of extra anti torque and swaybar setups.

I learned a lot about making R/C trucks stable way back when the wheely king first came out with it's 3 point stock suspension link setup. Trying to make a chassis and set it up with no twist was harder. That was I think the first time we saw the giant V type upper link style. With clods and such we always had full independent links and MOT design.
    __solids rule _________________________Hi

Follows
    Following

Looks not too bad with the Destroyers, all it needs now is a bigger lid, stock is too small for the tires IMO.
    Blaze, Tuber WK, Traxxas GD, Custom Trophy truck and much more...

I still would have rather had the chassis the same width as the main rails at the bottom, and just use anti-sway bars. I wonder if the wide links will affect the amount of steering compared to a race Clod or custom Axial based monster.

Follows
    Following

I actually like the look of stock clod tires (a bit more sidewall) I know i'll be the minority lol..
    ░▒▓▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ Searching for the truth is easy , Accepting the truth is hard ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░

Follows
    Following

I should be getting my SMT10 today, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast